[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Apr 29, 9P-12M ET:Andy and George, DRATS and Gil and MORE!

Howdy, FOLKS! A MOST special and unique show tonight...unlike any I have ever done. We have Andy Skurow and George Solomon...their new release "Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing 'Funny Girl'" and a tribute to the late Gil Askey. And you KNOW there will be even more...because when you have Andy and George, you ALWAYS get more than you bargain for! A BIG thanks to Andy and George for their time and expertise...they are 2 very special "Nightflight" friends! And speaking of "Nightflight" friends...don't miss next week's show with 2 SUPREME ladies who have been on the show numerous times at my great pleasure...Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne! On "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org Thanks! John

SO excited! Thanks for bringing us such great shows, Midnight Johnny - maybe you're the greatest star?

RossHolloway Guest
    To quote Levi, "I'll be there!" I just downloaded the album on Amazon and can't wait to listen to it again.

Can't wait for the Scherrie and Susaye show next week! 2premes!

Thanks Johnny for having Andy & George for another amazing release. Downloaded it on iTunes as soon as the midnight hour struck. We are truly lucky to be getting these releases. I won't be listening tonite as I have to work at LAX. Will listen to the album download on the way into work. Since we usually only find out officially about who is on Your show on the day of, here on the forum, it is too late for me to arrange the time off to listen live.

I do have a question for Andy & George though....

I bought this album when it was originally released in September 1968 and this was one of Motown's first releases that was stereo only! However at this time, my neighbor across the street was a disc jockey for WLS-AM Radio in Chicago and I got a white label promotional copy of this from him. To my amazement, the promo was in Monaural not Stereo! Was the monaural DJ copy a totally separate mix ??? or did they just mix the stereo down to 1 track ? Curious because past releases occasionally had alternate vocals on mono and stereo.

BTW, Both Sides Now website lists the original release date as 26 Aug 1968.

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Last edited by greg jones; 04-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Andy & George -

I'm also curious about any differences between the stereo and the mono mixes [[I have the UK mono version, too) - the new release sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the hard work and obvious love...and cheers to everyone else who worked on all the great releases, too! We Supremes/Diana Ross fans are so lucky to have you giving us such great product...
    Last edited by ejluther; 04-29-2014 at 11:20 AM.

I do hope I can listen in this evening as it sounds like a terrific show!
    In case I don't make it or get in late, I wanted to share a story related to DRATS Funny Girl.
    I bought this album at it's initial release in the summer of 1968. I was so disappointed that it didn't get a CD release during the "2 on 1" era of the 1980's
    Back in late 2000 or early 2001 I had purchased the remastered Diana Ross "All The Great Hits." There was an error in the pressing that while long versions of 2 songs were listed, edited ones actually got put on the CD. Back then, and I think it was on AOL, there was a "Supremes/Diana Ross" forum. I learned on the forum that I could call Harry Weinger at Motown Universal [[It listed his phone number!!) and asked to get a replacement with the corrected tracks. I called and left a message with the nice lady that answered. A day or two later the phone rang, it was Harry! Now I think he saw my name & thought it was another John Reed [[who spells his name Reid & is quite renown.) Anyway Harry was VERY Gracious, explained he couldn't replace the CD, but would send me a promo copy of the sample CD for the Supremes Box set. I thanked him and then asked "When will the Funny Girl album get released?" He explained that he was attempting but that it was difficult to get support within Universal for a "Broadway/Movie" themed Album by Motown. He said he would continue to look for some way to get it out to us fans.
    It took over a decade, and now he has delivered. Thank you Harry!!!
    Thank you Andy, George & Kevin. I am SO grateful, it sounds wonderful!
    John Reed

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    In case I don't make it or get in late, I wanted to share a story related to DRATS Funny Girl.
    I bought this album at it's initial release in the summer of 1968. I was so disappointed that it didn't get a CD release during the "2 on 1" era of the 1980's
    Back in late 2000 or early 2001 I had purchased the remastered Diana Ross "All The Great Hits." There was an error in the pressing that while long versions of 2 songs were listed, edited ones actually got put on the CD. Back then, and I think it was on AOL, there was a "Supremes/Diana Ross" forum. I learned on the forum that I could call Harry Weinger at Motown Universal [[It listed his phone number!!) and asked to get a replacement with the corrected tracks. I called and left a message with the nice lady that answered. A day or two later the phone rang, it was Harry! Now I think he saw my name & thought it was another John Reed [[who spells his name Reid & is quite renown.) Anyway Harry was VERY Gracious, explained he couldn't replace the CD, but would send me a promo copy of the sample CD for the Supremes Box set. I thanked him and then asked "When will the Funny Girl album get released?" He explained that he was attempting but that it was difficult to get support within Universal for a "Broadway/Movie" themed Album by Motown. He said he would continue to look for some way to get it out to us fans.
    John Reed
    Great post. Harry and crew have always been responsive to Motown fans and many of the releases that we've gotten down thru the years are a direct result of them listening, and fulfilling, fan wishes.

Hey John, see you and the gang tonight

supremester Guest
    Dear John,

I wish I could listen tonight but I am in Chicago and will be watching Miss Ross Live! Live!! LIVE!!! with a ton of other fan[[atics) PLease give my best to Andy & George and let them know that the entire conglomoration of fans here thank the profusely for their hard work and that they are loved and appreciated. I will DL Funny irl when I get home Saturday night, but I love it already.

My best to you, as always,

gregg

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    SO excited! Thanks for bringing us such great shows, Midnight Johnny - maybe you're the greatest star?
    Eric......my pleasure!!!! And thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Great post. Harry and crew have always been responsive to Motown fans and many of the releases that we've gotten down thru the years are a direct result of them listening, and fulfilling, fan wishes.
    And, in addition, they [[Harry, Andy & George) have reminded us that they, too, are fans.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    To quote Levi, "I'll be there!" I just downloaded the album on Amazon and can't wait to listen to it again.
    Great you'll be here, Bobby!!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Can't wait for the Scherrie and Susaye show next week! 2premes!
    I'm excited too, Mary....and very excited about tonight's show!

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Thanks Johnny for having Andy & George for another amazing release. Downloaded it on iTunes as soon as the midnight hour struck. We are truly lucky to be getting these releases. I won't be listening tonite as I have to work at LAX. Will listen to the album download on the way into work. Since we usually only find out officially about who is on Your show on the day of, here on the forum, it is too late for me to arrange the time off to listen live.

I do have a question for Andy & George though....

I bought this album when it was originally released in September 1968 and this was one of Motown's first releases that was stereo only! However at this time, my neighbor across the street was a disc jockey for WLS-AM Radio in Chicago and I got a white label promotional copy of this from him. To my amazement, the promo was in Monaural not Stereo! Was the monaural DJ copy a totally separate mix ??? or did they just mix the stereo down to 1 track ? Curious because past releases occasionally had alternate vocals on mono and stereo.

BTW, Both Sides Now website lists the original release date as 26 Aug 1968.

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Thanks Greg!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    John Reed
    Hope you can listen in, John!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Hey John, see you and the gang tonight
    Hope so, my friend!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Dear John,

I wish I could listen tonight but I am in Chicago and will be watching Miss Ross Live! Live!! LIVE!!! with a ton of other fan[[atics) PLease give my best to Andy & George and let them know that the entire conglomoration of fans here thank the profusely for their hard work and that they are loved and appreciated. I will DL Funny irl when I get home Saturday night, but I love it already.

My best to you, as always,

gregg
    We'll miss you, Gregg! Have a wonderful time!!!! And thank you!

Hi John,

I look forward to listening to you with Andy, George, and Kevin. I'm sure it will be most informative and fun as always!

See you at nine!
    Glen

My schedule has been torture. I am really going to try and listen to tonights program. It sounds wonderful.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi John,

I look forward to listening to you with Andy, George, and Kevin. I'm sure it will be most informative and fun as always!

See you at nine!
    Glen
    Great you'll be here, Glen!!

Ohh...in the studio!!!!

Listenin to FG now. Purchased last night and I have no regrets. Looking forward to tonight's show and the release of BIM & A Go Go. I am logging on now. Have a great jamming supreme show MJ tonight. Bring it on!!!!!

I'm in the house. I have made my purchase and listened at the office. Way to go Andy George and Kevin and of course John for being the host.

I'se here too!

Am I the only one unable to stream womr?

Martin from London here now.

"Funny Girl" not up on Amazon UK yet. Can you ask about British release date, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Listenin to FG now. Purchased last night and I have no regrets. Looking forward to tonight's show and the release of BIM & A Go Go. I am logging on now. Have a great jamming supreme show MJ tonight. Bring it on!!!!!
    Howdy and welcome, Tyrone!!!! Thanks!!

Diane's voice on "The Music That Makes Me Dance" sounds fantastic. Is this the regular track or a remix?

This song sounds fabulous. Just wonderful. Diana's voice is so good.

thomas96 Guest
    Tuning in now...

Thanks John, Andy, George and Kevin. Looking forward to tonight. Stayed up last night to buy it after midnight.
    This sounds great....haven't heard the album for two many years.
    Lorne

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    I'm in the house. I have made my purchase and listened at the office. Way to go Andy George and Kevin and of course John for being the host.

Howdy, David!!! Welcome!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Am I the only one unable to stream womr?
    I can stream and listen fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Diane's voice on "The Music That Makes Me Dance" sounds fantastic. Is this the regular track or a remix?
    Kenneth....welcome....my extended version I think you're referring to...thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'se here too!

Carole.....I mentioned you.....and welcome!!!

Got in, but took 3 computers ... Whew!!

John, I'm intently listening from Long Beach, CA!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This song sounds fabulous. Just wonderful. Diana's voice is so good.
    Welcome, Victor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Kenneth....welcome....my extended version I think you're referring to...thanks!!!
    It was masterful. The arrangements are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Thanks John, Andy, George and Kevin. Looking forward to tonight. Stayed up last night to buy it after midnight.
    This sounds great....haven't heard the album for two many years.
    Lorne

Great to see you, Lorne!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Tuning in now...

Hey there, Thomas....welcome!!!

Hello George and Andy.

Tyrone

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    John, I'm intently listening from Long Beach, CA!

Howard.....great to see you....intently [[*smile)!

Beautiful booklet ... that we can only see and read online. I am so disappointed than I cannot have a physical booklet as before. A "digital download booklet" is not a plus for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Beautiful booklet ... that we can only see and read online. I am so disappointed than I cannot have a physical booklet as before. A "digital download booklet" is not a plus for most of us.
    I do understand....and it's sad that those that head UMe aren't continuing with physical releases.....but maybe here we can focus on the work that Andy, George and Kevin have done to bring this music to us.

Okay...I was against purchasing a digital release of this but I may just have to change my mind. I didn't think the remixes were of any interest but the guys present quite a compelling case. I think I'm a convert...I'll be buying this one.

Sure, but I mentioned it BECAUSE they were talkng about the booklet so I thought it was fair game. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Sure, but I mentioned it BECAUSE they were talkng about the booklet so I thought it was fair game. Sorry.
    I DO understand.....

Diana really was in fabulous voice during these sessions