[REMOVE ADS]

Norma Jenkins - His Love Is Amazing [[acetate)

Great find. I'm totally blown away by this unreleased Norma Jenkins tune. Her vocal and the backing track are phenomenal. Sounds like a mid-60's Motown tune. I can't stop playing it. Sadly, the song runs under 1:30 and leaves the listener begging for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBQtRKRGJts

Sharon Soul recorded a version of the same song released on Decca in 1966. Robert Bateman is listed as one of the writers w/ George Kerr producing. Sharon's take is good, but I prefer Norma's much better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MolvHWkqUmM

Enjoy, folks!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'd bet that Norma Jenkins version was the demo version for the eventual singer on the commercial release [[Sharon Soul). Jenkins was one of George Kerr's staff with his Maltese Music an Maltese records from late 1965 through early 1967. The Sharon Soul was a Maltese Production of Kerr's, which he leased to Decca/Coral Records in 1966. The reason it sounds like Motown is because it was written by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman and his partner, Ronald Mosley, who were the best at reproducing "The Motown Sound" in 1964-66. Bateman had produced and they had written for Mary Wells in 1964 at 20th Century Fox, He had made Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone Records [[in Detroit) sound like Motown, from 1962 through 1963.

As always your input and knowledge are appreciated, robb k!

Bateman's work w/ Mary Wells for 20th Century was definitely Motown-influenced which is why I loved so many of her recordings at 20th Century. I'm familiar with Norma's recording w/ the Dolls on Maltese which I discovered was a New Jersey-based label. Also familiar with the Correc-Tone label from Detroit - Theresa Lindsey's "Gotta Find A Way"/"Wonderful One" are both top-notch recordings as well as tracks by Wilson Pickett and Danny Woods.

I wish Kerr had leased Norma's version as the commercial release instead of Sharon's. C'est la vie! Either way, I'm glad I discovered that demo version on YT.
    Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 04-27-2014 at 05:32 AM.

[QUOTE

I wish Kerr had leased Norma's version as the commercial release instead of Sharon's. C'est la vie! Either way, I'm glad I discovered that demo version on YT.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this statement.
    Though I like the Sharon Soul version well enough I prefer Norma's raw, thicker, huskier vocals a whole lot more on work like this. Now, I'm curious as to what she looked like and I
    want to check out more of her vocals wherever I can find them...

Duplicate post
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-27-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's a picture of Norma from her time with Carnival Records in 1967:

Here's one of her from The 1970s:

I love that LP. It has been re-issued with bonus tracks.