[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Me. And many others.
    Well, judging from this forum, I wouldn't think so. Just askin' the question.

I have said many times before that I like the music, just not the obsessed fans that go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Only because I was genuinely perplexed by it. One would think that gay men would follow gay men.
    Now there's an intelligent comment. I guess that means straight men only like straight male singers? Women who are not lesbians only follow straight female singers?

I'm not sure if you're as dense as you seem or you're just deliberately provocative. I tend to think the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Now there's an intelligent comment. I guess that means straight men only like straight male singers? Women who are not lesbians only follow straight female singers?

I'm not sure if you're as dense as you seem or you're just deliberately provocative. I tend to think the latter.
    Oh hes not dense dear Kenneth he say those things to get attention.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu Guest

Yeah, it is a really odd comment. Considering when we were growing up, my gay friends had....hmmmm...LIBERACE?!? The boys today are lucky to have Ricky Martin, Adam Lambert and the other role models out there BUT frankly, I don't have many gay male friends who like either one! I think music transcends all color/age/sex/race/gender/sexual orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Oh hes not dense dear Kenneth he say those things to get attention.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Doesn't anyone who posts on a forum want attention? I'd rather someone disagree with one one of my posts than to have it ignored.

The Orient??? That term is offensive now. It's called Asia.
    I don't get why the Orient is thought by you to be offensive. It certainly isn't in the UK. Doesn't it just mean the East?

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't get why the Orient is thought by you to be offensive. It certainly isn't in the UK. Doesn't it just mean the East?
    My thoughts as well,really find some of this politically correct too much,ridiculous.But by calling an entertainer who thrilled people for Decades and still does [by the way].A DEMON etc i found that offensive,whilst on the subject what was Rock a bye your baby with Dixie melody ,what is the problem about,Ihave loved it from A child [my dad had all Al Jolson songs],still today by DRATS and whoever. Ireally don't understand the Malicous responce.about the song.Offensive Never would i insult anyone either.Thank You.

I think it is just a synonym for "The Far East" 144man .. i.e. the eastern side of the Eurasian Continent [[Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Japan etc.). I was taken to task some years back for using the term "Oriental" on this forum by someone who thought it was "offensive" but I can't imagine for one moment that anyone who actually lives there finds it so.

Of course, here in sunny East London "The Orient" is a football team ...

http://www.leytonorient.com/

Funnily enough, everyone around here [[apart from the handful who actually support them) has them as their "second team" and no-one finds them "offensive" at all, unlike certain other football teams I could mention that are around here.

More seriously, I'm intrigued by this notion that "Gay" men would follow "Gay" performers. I remember some time in the mid-1990s being over in Dublin and, as I had a spare evening, I decided to go on a pub crawl. It took me about two minutes for me to realise that one of the venues I visited was a "Gay" venue [[I think the rather butch men sitting at the bar reading newspapers printed on pink paper called "Dublin Gay News" or something similar was a bit of a giveaway!!).

The funny thing about the pub was that in the half hour or so I was in there ALL the records that they played were by acts who were fronted by "out" "Gay" men .. we had DEAD OR ALIVE, ERASURE, FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD, THE COMMUNARDS, CULTURE CLUB etc. etc. It struck me as a bit strange [[and even a bit sad) as the people in there seemed to be being subjected to such a restrictive view of music.

Given that DIANA ROSS is neither "male" nor "Gay" I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone that I didn't hear any of her records played in this venue .... Pity really as if they had I might have stayed for another pint ... LOL!!

Roger

It's because "The Orient" is associated with only one country when there are many various cultures that clash with each other. It's offensive to lump them all together.

Oh the irony. And the hypocrisy.

The Orient??? That term is offensive now. It's called Asia.
    Soulster, that's what the movie is actually called...I'm not going to refer you to a video with the wrong title. It was a house documentary produced by Motown in 1966 when the Supremes were on tour in what was then called the 'Orient.'

Secondly, the term 'the Orient' refers to the entire Middle East all together. I'm not sure which one country you are talking about because it's a very general term, just as 'the Americas' refers to both North, South, and Central America, or how Africa refers to the whole continent. I am not sure how that term is offensive. I have never heard it used in any derogatory fashion.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 04-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think it is just a synonym for "The Far East" 144man .. i.e. the eastern side of the Eurasian Continent [[Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Japan etc.). I was taken to task some years back for using the term "Oriental" on this forum by someone who thought it was "offensive" but I can't imagine for one moment that anyone who actually lives there finds it so.

Of course, here in sunny East London "The Orient" is a football team ...

http://www.leytonorient.com/

Funnily enough, everyone around here [[apart from the handful who actually support them) has them as their "second team" and no-one finds them "offensive" at all, unlike certain other football teams I could mention that are around here.

Roger
    I sometimes used to see the O's play, despite supporting West Ham.

It's because "The Orient" is associated with only one country when there are tionary many various cultures that clash with each other. It's offensive to lump them all together.
    The Orient has never been associated with only one country. My dictionary defines it as "the countries of the East" and does not describe it as a derogatory term.

In any case, words should be our servants, not our masters.

smark21 Guest
    In my first year in college there was a woman on my dorm floor who was of Thai descent. We were talking and I referred to her as oriental. Nicely, but firmly, she told me that it was an offensive term to use. She was not "oriental" but of Thai heritage.

Here's a link explaining why the term is offensive and outmoded. It's pretty much akin to using "Negro" these days. http://racerelations.about.com/od/un...mestoavoid.htm

And reading some of the defenses of Al Jolson and the use of the term oriental and standing up for minstrel show songs that sentimentalize slavery and the old south, I really wonder about some of you here. In real life, do any of you go by the names Cliven Bundy or Donald Sterling? I'm sure you find nothing offensive or wrong about sport team nicknames like The Washington Redskins?

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Well said i really think this Marv person ,really needs to be booted off this forum .He is FOUL.
    You are foul in my opinion.

My thoughts as well,really find some of this politically correct too much,ridiculous.But by calling an entertainer who thrilled people for Decades and still does [by the way].A DEMON etc i found that offensive,whilst on the subject what was Rock a bye your baby with Dixie melody ,what is the problem about,Ihave loved it from A child [my dad had all Al Jolson songs],still today by DRATS and whoever. Ireally don't understand the Malicous responce.about the song.Offensive Never would i insult anyone either.Thank You.
    You disagree with my summation of Al Jolson? Then read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearne..._in_blackface/

I believe every word of it is true and that definitely describes someone quite demonic to me!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    In my first year in college there was a woman on my dorm floor who was of Thai descent. We were talking and I referred to her as oriental. Nicely, but firmly, she told me that it was an offensive term to use. She was not "oriental" but of Thai heritage.

Here's a link explaining why the term is offensive and outmoded. It's pretty much akin to using "Negro" these days. http://racerelations.about.com/od/un...mestoavoid.htm

And reading some of the defenses of Al Jolson and the use of the term oriental and standing up for minstrel show songs that sentimentalize slavery and the old south, I really wonder about some of you here. In real life, do any of you go by the names Cliven Bundy or Donald Sterling? I'm sure you find nothing offensive or wrong about sport team nicknames like The Washington Redskins?
    There is a stark difference between referring to the Far East as "the Orient," and referring to someone as an "oriental." You are right in that oriental is offensive, but not in the use of the word the Orient, which is used to describe the area of Asianic countries. There is also a huge difference between people on this forum, who happen to listen to songs like "Rockabye," know it's archaic implications, but are smart enough to not take them literally, and people like Sterling, who are outlandish, unstable bigots. Listening to "Rockabye" does not put someone on the same level as Sterling, and it certainly does not imply that they hold any prejudicial ideals.
    Last edited by antceleb12; 04-26-2014 at 02:37 PM.

honest man Guest
    Marv You are foul in my opinion. also VILE AND DISGUSTING,And to whoever i don't care what your view off Football baseball team names ,aL jOLSON ETC, iHAVE MY OWN VIEWS,THANK GOD I WAS BROUGHT UP IN A NORMAL SOCIETY IN THE UK,YOU REALLY ARE A PATHETIC BUNCH.GET REAL............

I think it's time for a mercy killing...would someone please put this thread out of its misery???

honest man Guest

Marv You are foul in my opinion. also VILE AND DISGUSTING,And to whoever i don't care what your view off Football baseball team names ,aL jOLSON ETC, iHAVE MY OWN VIEWS,THANK GOD I WAS BROUGHT UP IN A NORMAL SOCIETY IN THE UK,YOU REALLY ARE A PATHETIC BUNCH.GET REAL............

I believe you are a very disingenuous person which is why you chose the profile name that you did and not use your real name. These are your exact words from just above:

"Ireally don't understand the Malicous responce.about the song.Offensive Never would i insult anyone either."

Then you turn right around and call me "Foul", someone you do not know or have ever met!

You are vulgar but you believe you are pious! Of course you do not care about someone else's view of what offends them be it a team name like the "Redskins" or a "Coon Caller" which is how Jolson referred to himself! You are ridiculous and a gross waste of my TIME!

Now, Al Jolson promoted racial stereotypes for fame and money and in the process hurt scores of people that he could less about. They were unknown to him.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2014 at 04:25 PM.

You can do whatever you want to try to defend the practice of wearing "black face" for entertainment, it is still wrong and it will always be wrong! It's your perogative to try to champion this disgusting practice, but it is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You can do whatever you want to try to defend the practice of wearing "black face" for entertainment, it is still wrong and it will always be wrong! It's your perogative to try to champion this disgusting practice, but it is wrong!
    It was wrong, but it wasn't accepted as being wrong. We know better now.

I think it's time for a mercy killing...would someone please put this thread out of its misery???
    I don't think this thread should be deleted for the following reasons:

a) I don't believe in censorship.

b) The debate about Al Jolson is a valid one to have.

c) It would be disrespectful to people who have taken the trouble to contribute to this thread.

d) Anyone else who has read this thread would have completely wasted their time.

e) The subject hasn't been exhausted yet.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    There is a stark difference between referring to the Far East as "the Orient," and referring to someone as an "oriental." You are right in that oriental is offensive, but not in the use of the word the Orient, which is used to describe the area of Asianic countries. There is also a huge difference between people on this forum, who happen to listen to songs like "Rockabye," know it's archaic implications, but are smart enough to not take them literally, and people like Sterling, who are outlandish, unstable bigots. Listening to "Rockabye" does not put someone on the same level as Sterling, and it certainly does not imply that they hold any prejudicial ideals.
    But it is Eurocentric to refer to Asia as the Far East or the orient. Far East of what? Only if one regards Europe as the center of the world with the Americas as the West and Asia as the East. People in Asia may look at it differently--Europe is the West and the Americas are the "far East". Also, and this is something I remember the woman in college telling me, to describe all cultures in Asia as "orient" or "oriental" is to disregard the differences in the various cultures, whether they be Thai, Chinese, Mongolian, etc. They can't be lumped into one group, just as there are differences between Germans, French, etc. This harkens to a point I made earlier in this thread--racism, ethnocentrism, and racial supremeacy are so woven into all aspects of our culture that we accept certain concepts without thinking about them, they just seem natural. Sometimes time marches on and we can look back and see they are offensive, prejudiced, bigoted, racist, what have you. As in the case of Blackface and minstrel songs. But people being people, who want to think of themselves as good and well intentioned, will understandably get defensive when something they may have enjoyed or cherished or accepted as the "natural" way of doing things represents, directly or indirectly, something ugly and dehumanizing. Rock a Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody isn't a directly racist song, but the lyrics tell a story of a person who wants their "mammy" [[or mommy in sanitized versions) to sing them the old minstrel songs that sentimentalized plantation and slavery life and take them back to the days of childhood.
    Last edited by smark21; 04-26-2014 at 05:39 PM.

I'm English, not German, French or Spanish. I don't see why it would bother me to be called Occidental unless there were some malicious intent to it.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    But it is Eurocentric to refer to Asia as the Far East or the orient. Far East of what? Only if one regards Europe as the center of the world with the Americas as the West and Asia as the East. People in Asia may look at it differently--Europe is the West and the Americas are the "far East". Also, and this is something I remember the woman in college telling me, to describe all cultures in Asia as "orient" or "oriental" is to disregard the differences in the various cultures, whether they be Thai, Chinese, Mongolian, etc. They can't be lumped into one group, just as there are differences between Germans, French, etc. This harkens to a point I made earlier in this thread--racism, ethnocentrism, and racial supremeacy are so woven into all aspects of our culture that we accept certain concepts without thinking about them, they just seem natural. Sometimes time marches on and we can look back and see they are offensive, prejudiced, bigoted, racist, what have you. As in the case of Blackface and minstrel songs. But people being people, who want to think of themselves as good and well intentioned, will understandably get defensive when something they may have enjoyed or cherished or accepted as the "natural" way of doing things represents, directly or indirectly, something ugly and dehumanizing. Rock a Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody isn't a directly racist song, but the lyrics tell a story of a person who wants their "mammy" [[or mommy in sanitized versions) to sing them the old minstrel songs that sentimentalized plantation and slavery life and take them back to the days of childhood.
    You have a fair point, but while Asian countries are referred to as the East, America and the entirety of Europe is referred to as the west - so then what is centralized? Certainly not Europe or America. Secondly, as least where I'm from, the term "Orient" was used as interchangeable as "Asia" - meaning that just like Asia, the Orient refers to a collective group of Asian countries. If the problem is that it's disregarding various cultures, how is it different than calling all European countries "European?" Hungary is very different from France, Switzerland from Italy, etc. Same goes with Africa. It's the same thing. Frankly, I know many Asian people [[from various countries) who have never found offense with the East being referred to as the Orient. Until now, I have actually never heard the word "Orient" being referred to as offensive. Definitely "oriental," but never the Orient.

Now I'm not defending blackface - I've always found it unsettling, but in terms of songs like "Rockabye" and "Swanee," particularly in this day and age, it seems that the lyrics are outdated - meaning that when people sing them, or listen to them, people aren't thinking about it's allusions. It would be one thing if Garland was performing it with the intent to refer to a romanticized picture of the "gallant South," but it was purely for entertainment. I have no doubt that in the wrong context, "Rockabye" or "Swanee" can be used to perpetuate stereotypes, but as time goes on, the songs are losing more and more of their historical connections and becoming more and more a part of pure entertainment. My point is that the viewers who willingly watched the Supremes perform "Rockabye" on television or stage probably did not get anything from the song but glitzy stage patter, costumes, and harmonies. Had they performed the song sitting in a cornfield with Aunt Jemima-style hair wraps and blackface - hell yeah, that's a problem! Let's also not forget that they changed the lyrics, too. So when they sang it, there was no "mammy" or "old black joe." Given that, the song loses any racial allusions.

Poor Soulballad must be regretting ever posting the video. No one could have predicted where it would lead.

Now I'm not defending blackface - I've always found it unsettling, but in terms of songs like "Rockabye" and "Swanee," particularly in this day and age, it seems that the lyrics are outdated - meaning that when people sing them, or listen to them, people aren't thinking about it's allusions. It would be one thing if Garland was performing it with the intent to refer to a romanticized picture of the "gallant South," but it was purely for entertainment. I have no doubt that in the wrong context, "Rockabye" or "Swanee" can be used to perpetuate stereotypes, but as time goes on, the songs are losing more and more of their historical connections and becoming more and more a part of pure entertainment. My point is that the viewers who willingly watched the Supremes perform "Rockabye" on television or stage probably did not get anything from the song but glitzy stage patter, costumes, and harmonies. Had they performed the song sitting in a cornfield with Aunt Jemima-style hair wraps and blackface - hell yeah, that's a problem! Let's also not forget that they changed the lyrics, too. So when they sang it, there was no "mammy" or "old black joe." Given that, the song loses any racial allusions.

Judy Garland also changed the lyric by the time she sang it here with Andy William in 1965.
    Only a year earlier on her TV show she was still singing the original Al Jolson "Old Black Joe" lyric. But here they changed it "sweet and low".

As for Rockabye Your Baby, it is interesting that three of the greatest entertainers of the 20th Century -Jolson, Garland and Sammy Davis, sang the song in their act; the Queen of Soul had one of her first hits with it, and the top female group of the 20th Century sometime included it in their act.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Judy Garland also changed the lyric by the time she sang it here with Andy William in 1965.
    Only a year earlier on her TV show she was still singing the original Al Jolson "Old Black Joe" lyric. But here they changed it "sweet and low".

As for Rockabye Your Baby, it is interesting that three of the greatest entertainers of the 20th Century -Jolson, Garland and Sammy Davis, sang the song in their act; the Queen of Soul had one of her first hits with it, and the top female group of the 20th Century sometime included it in their act.

It just shows you how institutionalized racism is in America! For further proof, check this out.......hot off the presses!!!!

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...e-to-My-Games-!

The talk here is on various subjects ~ the common thread is inequity, prejudice, racism, bigotry, unfairness, injustice.

We all suffer some injustice and some inequality in life ~ the worst of the injustices will be genocides that were inflicted on Jewish people and in Rwanda and slavery in various forms.

What is most admirable in life is those people that continue to thrive though being victims of terrible injustice ~ those people who lost their entire families to concentration camps in Europe or Cambodia or Rwanda or the Sudan and yet never give up hope, never become bitter, never give in to defeat, never lash out at the world because of the injustice visited on them.

Why are there people that never suffered anywhere near these injustices that are always lashing out at the world, at other peoples successes and go looking for every little matter to squawk about?

There is no answer to it ~ but they need to stand in front of the mirror and wonder "if it's them" and "why".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    ...There is no answer to it ~ but they need to stand in front of the mirror and wonder "if it's them" and "why".
    Maybe because "they" don't like Diana Ross

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The talk here is on various subjects ~ the common thread is inequity, prejudice, racism, bigotry, unfairness, injustice.

We all suffer some injustice and some inequality in life ~ the worst of the injustices will be genocides that were inflicted on Jewish people and in Rwanda and slavery in various forms.

What is most admirable in life is those people that continue to thrive though being victims of terrible injustice ~ those people who lost their entire families to concentration camps in Europe or Cambodia or Rwanda or the Sudan and yet never give up hope, never become bitter, never give in to defeat, never lash out at the world because of the injustice visited on them.

Why are there people that never suffered anywhere near these injustices that are always lashing out at the world, at other peoples successes and go looking for every little matter to squawk about?

There is no answer to it ~ but they need to stand in front of the mirror and wonder "if it's them" and "why".
    I expected nothing less of you! Your ignorance is as boundless as the sea!

Through your usual "sly put down style" [[which really isn't that sly, because most of us have seen through it and you for a long, long time...) Anyway, the point you will never get because you have a hard, fiendish type heart is that African Americans are still suffering after hundreds of years of discrimination, slavery and violence. Sure there are those that have suffered greatly in the 20th Century [[ as well as African Americans). You talk about losing entire families to concentration camps, how about losing your family routinely because they were sold off to a slave master in another State? How about losing your family members that were kidnapped and lynched never to be heard from again? How dare you? How dare you, try to pit one groups tragedies against another's? That is the main message I got from you grossly insensitive, idiotic posting!!! DAMN! You should be ashamed of yourself, but I've learned long ago, you have no shame! You also have no knowledge whatsover of the African American Experience. You listen to a few Diana Ross records and you think you know what it is all about!

I would not have believed you could get any more offensive than you have with your name calling of me personally, but now you go and try to say that Black Americans did not suffer anywhere near the injustices of Jewish people or those in Rwanda, Cambodia or the Sudan. I am beyond disgusted by your insensitivity and ignorance. I am going to refrain from calling you the name that i feel fits you at this moment. But have a nice ride on into Hell [[even though you claim not to believe in God Almighty!) You need counseling and you need it in a hurry.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Soulster, that's what the movie is actually called...I'm not going to refer you to a video with the wrong title. It was a house documentary produced by Motown in 1966 when the Supremes were on tour in what was then called the 'Orient.'

Secondly, the term 'the Orient' refers to the entire Middle East all together. I'm not sure which one country you are talking about because it's a very general term, just as 'the Americas' refers to both North, South, and Central America, or how Africa refers to the whole continent. I am not sure how that term is offensive. I have never heard it used in any derogatory fashion.
    Well, Maybe you should ask some Asians what they think. I know that Koreans, in particular, bristle at that word.

The Orient has never been associated with only one country. My dictionary defines it as "the countries of the East" and does not describe it as a derogatory term.
    That's the thing: All of these countries have differing cultures, and many of them are enemies. They really dislike being lumped into one group...like several English people I personally know are insulted to be called European.

Through your usual "sly put down style" [[which really isn't that sly, because most of us have seen through it and you for a long, long time...) Anyway, the point you will never get because you have a hard, fiendish type heart is that African Americans are still suffering after hundreds of years of discrimination, slavery and violence. Sure there are those that have suffered greatly in the 20th Century [[ as well as African Americans). You talk about losing entire families to concentration camps, how about losing your family routinely because they were sold off to a slave master in another State? How about losing your family members that were kidnapped and lynched never to be heard from again? How dare you? How dare you, try to pit one groups tragedies against another's? That is the main message I got from you grossly insensitive, idiotic posting!!! DAMN! You should be ashamed of yourself, but I've learned long ago, you have no shame! You also have no knowledge whatsover of the African American Experience. You listen to a few Diana Ross records and you think you know what it is all about!

I would not have believed you could get any more offensive than you have with your name calling of me personally, but now you go and try to say that Black Americans did not suffer anywhere near the injustices of Jewish people or those in Rwanda, Cambodia or the Sudan. I am beyond disgusted by your insensitivity and ignorance. I am going to refrain from calling you the name that i feel fits you at this moment. But have a nice ride on into Hell [[even though you claim not to believe in God Almighty!) You need counseling and you need it in a hurry.
    And...wait...it's coming...the old "But I didn't do it!" line.

Marv, yes, it is wrong and offensive. The good thing is that it is no longer an acceptable form of entertainment, and all but some racists condemn it. But, even many racists in that time also condemned it because they were upset that the practice of whites wearing blackface was being sympathetic toward Blacks. That bit supports one of the reasons why Al Jolson did it [[aside from the money and fame).

As long as there are people remember the meanings of these songs, it will be offensive.

Back in 1973, a white band named "Stories" recorded a song called "Brother Louie". From that same album, they released a followup single called "Mammy Blue" that had a respectable [[for the 70s) chart rating. I Googled up the lyrics and mostly found French artists had recorded the song. There is absolutely nothing racist or even questionable in the lyrics, apart from the word "mammy". There were no objections to the song that I recall, not controversy whatsoever that I was aware of. But, that word probably kept the song from getting any higher.

And...wait...it's coming...the old "But I didn't do it!" line.
    It will be either that or another one of their endless personal attacks on me.......

As long as there are people remember the meanings of these songs, it will be offensive.

Back in 1973, a white band named "Stories" recorded a song called "Brother Louie". From that same album, they released a followup single called "Mammy Blue" that had a respectable [[for the 70s) chart rating. I Googled up the lyrics and mostly found French artists had recorded the song. There is absolutely nothing racist or even questionable in the lyrics, apart from the word "mammy". There were no objections to the song that I recall, not controversy whatsoever that I was aware of. But, that word probably kept the song from getting any higher.

I remember both of those songs when they were new and hot on the radio. Although I was only in Jr. High, I knew what the song "Brother Louie" was about. Several years earlier, Bobby and the Vancouvers had a hit with "Does Your Mama Know About Me" which at the time I did not know or understand what the song was about.

Another song that was popular in the mid-70's that made me cringe was "Play That Funky Music White Boy" from 1976. It had a nice groove and was easy to dance to but I had a problem with the lyrics and storyline. It came across [[TO ME) like it was relaying a story of a group of black people ,surprised that a white guy could be soulful and cheering him on. To my mind, even at that age ,anyone could be soulful regardless of color or heritage if they wanted to be or whatever. So that was one song that irritated me somewhat........

Well, Maybe you should ask some Asians what they think. I know that Koreans, in particular, bristle at that word.
    In a previous post, I mentioned that my Asian friends [[some of whom are first generation Americans) don't find it offensive in the least. This discussion is the first time I've ever heard that some people find it offensive. Oriental, yes, I get that completely. But Orient? If we're going to take that away, we should consider stop calling people European, or American, or African, etc.

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaa!

honest man Guest
    I believe you are a very disingenuous person which is why you chose the profile name that you did and not use your real name. These are your exact words from just above:

"Ireally don't understand the Malicous responce.about the song.Offensive Never would i insult anyone either."

Then you turn right around and call me "Foul", someone you do not know or have ever met!

You are vulgar but you believe you are pious! Of course you do not care about someone else's view of what offends them be it a team name like the "Redskins" or a "Coon Caller" which is how Jolson referred to himself! You are ridiculous and a gross waste of my TIME!

Now, Al Jolson promoted racial stereotypes for fame and money and in the process hurt scores of people that he could less about. They were unknown to him YES I AM HONEST WOULD NOT INSULT PEOPLE[unlike you],JUST STATING A FACT.YOU ARE TROUBLE TO THIS SITE.have a nice day.IM OUT FOR THE DAY WON'T BE SOME SAD BOD SAT ON PC WAITING TO POST NEGATIVE REMARKS,BY THE WAY YOU ALSO HAVE DISREGARDED THE MODERATORS REQUEST TO STOP POSTING ITEMS FROM THE INTERNETON THIS SITE,LINKS ABOVE FOR STARTERS AND YOUR YOU TUBE THREADS FROM LAST COUPLE OF DAYS,YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THIS SITE,NOT BEING INSULTING JUST HONEST SEE YA.

honest man Guest
    But have a nice ride on into Hell [[even though you claim not to believe in God Almighty!) You need counseling and you need it in a hurry.Comments like this i find VILE AND DISGUSTING,Understand.

It will be either that or another one of their endless personal attacks on me.......
    Lol you sure as heck can play the victim marv2. Hows about all them disgusting and vile and ignorant and hateful homophobic personal attacks you make on YouTube under the names of DetroitLive313?

How about all you personal attacks in this here forum when you call folks dumb and stupid and other name. Smh just smh at you hypocrisy. Poor marv2.

Pot meet kettle.

Roberta

Lol you sure as heck can play the victim marv2. Hows about all them disgusting and vile and ignorant and hateful homophobic personal attacks you make on YouTube under the names of DetroitLive313?

How about all you personal attacks in this here forum when you call folks dumb and stupid and other name. Smh just smh at you hypocrisy. Poor marv2.

Pot meet kettle.

Roberta
    Jonc, Cluckie, we know all about you , so you might want to cut your stuff and move on. You talk about me almost as much as you talked about my "Motown Special" on here several years ago before Ralph banned you for being so obnoxious.

PS, we also know about your other "active" aliases you are using on here now.........

Jonc, Cluckie, we know all about you , so you might want to cut your stuff and move on. You talk about me almost as much as you talked about my "Motown Special" on here several years ago before Ralph banned you for being so obnoxious.

PS, we also know about your other "active" aliases you are using on here now.........
    Im Roberta Fonseca and have no aliases dear and no intention of moving on. Youre sounding real real paranoid marv2 and your victim act is obnoxious and we aren't buying it.

Now confirm or deny that you are DetroitLIVE313 on YouTube please?

Have a blessed and beutiful Sunday.

Roberta

Im Roberta Fonseca and have no aliases dear and no intention of moving on. Youre sounding real real paranoid marv2 and your victim act is obnoxious and we aren't buying it.

Now confirm or deny that you are DetroitLIVE313 on YouTube please?

Have a blessed and beutiful Sunday.

Roberta
    Who are you going to pretend to be next week? Mary Poppins? My name is Marv!

Marv is a self-appointed flame thrower on social media. Like many of these folks, he seems infused with a prior condition of bitterness towards anybody who dares to have a different view than his.

Anger management courses will help.

And even if Miss Ross pitched him from a concert, big deal. He doesn't love the music anyway. Mary got her to do it.

Who are you going to pretend to be next week? Mary Poppins? My name is Marv!
    Marv 'DetroitLIVE313' Davis who isnt man enough to admit hes DetroitLIVE313. Marv who pretend that Mary Wilson is his good friend. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL