[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering Laura Nyro

Remembering Laura Nyro who was gone too soon. 18th October 1947 – 8th April 1997. Posting this here as Laura loved Motown. RIP

Last edited by copley; 04-09-2014 at 03:34 AM.

My extended medley for Laura....she's so dear to my heart! Thanks for posting the thread, Copley!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    My extended medley for Laura....she's so dear to my heart! Thanks for posting the thread, Copley!
    Thanks for sharing...so sad but again, I'm glad we have the musical memories as she really did make some great music!

Laura was a treasure as a brilliant songwriter. She could write in so many different styles and had a great reverence for Hitsville and Brill Building. I never much cared for her vocal dynamics, however. I'd always find myself running for the volume knob [[yes, audio equipment had knobs back then) because she would go instantly from a low-pitched whisper to an almost earsplitting high note and back again. Made me crazy, but I loved her compositions. How many songwriters could say their material was recorded by performers as diverse as Streisand; Supremes; Blood, Sweat & Tears; Blossoms; Three Dog Night; Thelma Houston; Fifth Dimension; Peter, Paul & Mary; Diana Ross? The list is miles long. She was definitely taken from us far too soon. May she rest in peace.
    Last edited by BigAl; 04-09-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Thank you for mentioning Laura Lyro.

I have been Google-ing and Wiki-ing Laura like a mad woman today; I didn't realize there was such controvesy surrounding her Hall of Fame induction: secret emails, faux lesbian lovers, hidden estates.....quite the story.

Would make a fantastic "UnSung" episode.

Laura is one of my favorite songwriters. She has such a distinctive songwriting style; very much like Jimmy Webb who also happens to be one of my favorite songwriters. Some of my favorite Laura songs were ones that never became hits [[either for herself or other artists). Check out tracks like "California Shoeshine Boys," "Blackpatch," "Captain Saint Lucifer," and her versions of the Originals' "The Bells" and the Drifters' "Up On The Roof" are incredible.

Lulu Guest
    I know it's a tongue twister but I adore Marilyn McCoo's solo on Loves, Lines Angles and Rhymes​.

ms. nyro is sooooo dang unrecognized ... great singer, musician, and writer! when one has all of these talents you won't here people battling about the trivial stuff like gowns, etc. #trueartist