[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Margie Joseph

Margie Joseph

Hi folks. I have been listening to Margie Joseph a lot lately and would love to hear your thoughts on this under-appreciated lady.
    What are your favorite Margie singles and album tracks? Do you prefer her Volt/Stax material or her Atlantic/Cotillion recordings? Why do you think Margie was not a bigger success at radio than she was?

Thanks again.

Jim

I'm more of a fan of the Volt sides...her version of Bobby Womack's "What You Gonna Do" is just FABULOUS!!

Best,

Mark

I would definitely agree that she was under appreciated. Favorite tracks would be: Hear the Words, Feel the Feeling; Don't Turn the Light Off; Something to Fall Back On; Love Takes Tears; and especially I Wants Mo' Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I would definitely agree that she was under appreciated. Favorite tracks would be: Hear the Words, Feel the Feeling; Don't Turn the Light Off; Something to Fall Back On; Love Takes Tears; and especially I Wants Mo' Stuff!

Margie Joseph reminded you of Aretha. Atlantic recorded her with some of the same musicians Aretha used. I wonder how Aretha felt about it?
    My favorite track by Margie is Let's Stay Together. She took it to church. Each year at Christmas, a woman calls my station and requests Margie's Christmas Gift. It's something I look forward to.

My favorite Margie track is "Christmas Gift" which was released on a Cotillion Christmas compilation in the mid-70s, but overall I prefer Margie's Volt recordings over her Atlantic recordings by a smidge. I just found out that her first Volt album featured background vocals by Telma, Pam, and Joyce. They were everywhere in the late 60s/early '70s!

Margie's voice often reminds me of Aretha as well. Perhaps that was to her detriment when she was with Atlantic?

Margie's story regarding her restricted rise to fame was no different than the stories of Motown artists such as the Marvelettes, the Vandellas, or even Jimmy Ruffin. The resources were not available for total promotion. She was in line for seconds and thirds after Aretha and Roberta, even though she really didn't emerge until the mid-70s, after the hey-day of both stars. The woman has a voice and makes me cry when I hear MyLove. I have Stop! In the Name of Love on vinyl and need to compare it to Kim Weston's rendition. If old discussions from the previous board are remembered correctly, Margie was reported to be singing gospel in and around New Orleans about five years ago.

come lay some loving on me,atlantic. thats the track from her that is my favourite

In addition to my Xmas Gift, her rendition of "Knockout" is still on my playlist today. Whats Come Over Me ? , recorded with Blue Magic is also a favorite of mine. She's a great singer.

I definitely prefer her Volt sides...

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Margie was reported to be singing gospel in and around New Orleans about five years ago.
    She was performing regularly in New Orleans pre-Katrina, but her dates got less and less frequent after the hurricane. I'm not sure if it's because of that or just a coincidence. She definitely kicked the secular music aside and was recording her own gospel sides as well as guiding the careers of a few New Orleans-area gospel acts.

It's a shame that she never got a chance to flourish and that her promotion was never up to par. She is a truly amazing talent.

Here's something I wrote about her a few months ago [[as well as a few free-to-stream songs.

http://spinningsoul.com/2010/09/talmargiejoseph/

Top notch ballad.She sounds like one of the Emotions here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTZpIPW21Y

good call mikey....i forgot about this one!

Thanks Mikey. [[Strange) I Still Love You is one of my favorite Margie tracks on Atlantic.