[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Totally agree on all counts ,the second volume i played once when i received it,sad to say its up in the loft but still glad i got it just for completeist reasons alone mind.
    I did play it 2 or 3 times but have not done so since i first bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think it could be a 70s set, although there wouldn't be too much Scherrie content left. There are still other versions of IGLMHDTW that could be included. don't have the booklet in front of me but I believe Dance Fever has a couple of versions and the notes state the 'best' one was included in the Let Yourself Go set. Given the various posts on here with the list of still to be released Jean tracks, a handful of Scherrie tracks, alt versions and more, a 2-cd set could easily be compiled

it's a shame that the youtube clip of Ladder is down. would love to hear. can someone repost?
    Sup Fan - i think you are right when you say there are still a handful of alternate versions from the MSS years, and i would be happy to have them included on a 70's lost and found so long as it was not to the exclusion of any JMC, JML recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Since the other "Up The Ladder..." thread is found to discuss everything but "Up The Ladder...", I thought I'd bring it up one more time, for those actually interested in the song. No...not a remix by me or anyone else. The version I'm talking about is unreleased [[yet and still), unedited with a time of 4:04, with a very unusual and lovely extra verse that is not at all like any part of the song which is sung by Mary and Cindy in duet with Jean joining toward the end of that edited out verse. I was given permission to mention it. I wanted others to know that it exists, and that we have something amazing to look forward to [[if and) when another Supremes "Lost and Found" . Cross your fingers....
    "Up The Ladder to The Roof" is not only one of the best recordings the Supremes ever made, it is one of my favorites and one of the most popular Motown songs of all time.

I always regretted not getting 'This Is The Story" box set when first released. I have purchased every Motown CD released over that last 20 years or so but missed this one. I even managed to get the first few Motown Singles box sets from Hipo when there weren't shipping to the U.K. I remember seeing TITS for sale on Amazon here in the U.K. for about £20 but let it go and of course it was never on offer again. Now if sells for rediculous amounts [[currently £600+ on Amazon UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I totally agree PeaceNHarmony. It is quite simply a beautiful piece of music and one of the Supremes and indeed Motown's finest.A stunning way to introduce Jean into the line up, and it is one of Jean's personal favourites too.
    If anyone, ever, had or has a voice that 'shimmers', that singer would be Jean Terrell. The entire 'Right On' LP is, for me, superb.

i read that the classic story of Romeo and Juliet is the inspiration for the lyrics of this song

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    If anyone, ever, had or has a voice that 'shimmers', that singer would be Jean Terrell. The entire 'Right On' LP is, for me, superb.
    Totally agree. That album was very well planned and thought out, and boy didn't it show when you listened to it. Well crafted songs superbly performed by Jean. Possibly my favourite Supremes album of any period.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I always regretted not getting 'This Is The Story" box set when first released. I have purchased every Motown CD released over that last 20 years or so but missed this one. I even managed to get the first few Motown Singles box sets from Hipo when there weren't shipping to the U.K. I remember seeing TITS for sale on Amazon here in the U.K. for about £20 but let it go and of course it was never on offer again. Now if sells for rediculous amounts [[currently £600+ on Amazon UK)
    Dang it all, I saw it in a used record store in Austin TX and would have bought it if I knew u wanted it. Was decently priced. 🤦 I have 2 already, but something told me to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Dang it all, I saw it in a used record store in Austin TX and would have bought it if I knew u wanted it. Was decently priced. �� I have 2 already, but something told me to buy it!
    I bought two and gave one to my sister for Christmas that year.

Totally agree. That album was very well planned and thought out, and boy didn't it show when you listened to it. Well crafted songs superbly performed by Jean. Possibly my favourite Supremes album of any period.
    Mine, as well. I think it was a great decision to not include outside-Motown cover songs. I would love to read a really fully detailed book about the making of 'Right On', though I know it will never happen. I always wonder if the creators realize a masterpiece is in the works while it's happening, or if it's just 'another day at the office' making the best music that can be made that day. I wish Jean had had a fuller recording career, but am happy that Motown recorded so much of her. I've been streaming a YT posted version of 'Promises' and love it -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Mine, as well. I think it was a great decision to not include outside-Motown cover songs. I would love to read a really fully detailed book about the making of 'Right On', though I know it will never happen. I always wonder if the creators realize a masterpiece is in the works while it's happening, or if it's just 'another day at the office' making the best music that can be made that day. I wish Jean had had a fuller recording career, but am happy that Motown recorded so much of her. I've been streaming a YT posted version of 'Promises' and love it -
    I think you'd be disappointed. There is no "making of the Right On lp." As was customary at Motown when they were trying to get a hit on an artist, Gordy opened up the new Supremes to all producers at Motown to compete and get a hit on the new group. When Up The Ladder was chosen and Frank Wilson clearly the victor, it meant he would get the new couple releases on the new group. The Right On album is merely a compilation of the best of all the material produced on the Supremes in late 69 and early 70. In fact, a couple of tunes were recorded before Jean was officially in the group. Jean Terrell signed on as a soloist as did all Motown recording artists. That way the company could use her as they saw fit. When Frank Wilson took over the group, the next two lps were more of a concept, but Right On was merely 12 good songs thrown together with a creative title and issued as the group's first lp with Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think you'd be disappointed. There is no "making of the Right On lp." As was customary at Motown when they were trying to get a hit on an artist, Gordy opened up the new Supremes to all producers at Motown to compete and get a hit on the new group. When Up The Ladder was chosen and Frank Wilson clearly the victor, it meant he would get the new couple releases on the new group. The Right On album is merely a compilation of the best of all the material produced on the Supremes in late 69 and early 70. In fact, a couple of tunes were recorded before Jean was officially in the group. Jean Terrell signed on as a soloist as did all Motown recording artists. That way the company could use her as they saw fit. When Frank Wilson took over the group, the next two lps were more of a concept, but Right On was merely 12 good songs thrown together with a creative title and issued as the group's first lp with Jean.
    Well, that's a distillation of the non-existent book, and thanks - I presumed as much. It's interesting how masterpieces such as Aretha's SITD and MR&TV's BM are this sort of mish-mash affairs. Ultimately, SOMEBODY chose these songs, running order, etc. And it ended up brilliantly. It seems, as do the other 2 lps I mention, as organic entities. Thanks for your info -

Many other Supremes albums just seemed to be thrown together, and maybe this one was as well but it sure as hell did not come across that way. Jean was recording solo for Motown as early as mid 1969, but is not sure which of those songs ended up on "right on". This is the one 70's Supremes album that has more than enough outtakes for an expanded edition. I loved the artwork too. Motown seemed to really believe in this album , and with good reason.

The songs that jean did before her inclusion into the supremes has been an interesting topic. If I'm correct, Take a closer look at me , wait one minute, then we can try again and I got hurt trying to be the only girl were the songs in question.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The songs that jean did before her inclusion into the supremes has been an interesting topic. If I'm correct, Take a closer look at me , wait one minute, then we can try again and I got hurt trying to be the only girl were the songs in question.
    That may well be correct Blackguy69 but Jean herself could not recall any specific recording dates. She recorded literally dozens of songs , many of which are frustratingly gathering dust in the vaults.

o do think RIGHT ON should get an expanded edition. not sure if it will but I think there is enough interest in this to warrant it. or perhaps a expanded - lost and found combo .......similar to what they did with A GO GO but ,here we are only at 1966, we have a while to go to get to 1970. so I am thinking maybe 2020 for RO. lol.

Jean had denied she was signed to Motown as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Jean signed to Motown as Jean Terrell. The intention was always to use her as Diana's replacement. Each lady had their own contract under their own name. That's how Jean was signed.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    What she meant was that she was never intended to be a solo artist for Motown. She came there to be a member of the Supremes. She was always only going to be in the Supremes when she signed. They had to sign her as an individual because other Supremes were already signed.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Jean signed to Motown as Jean Terrell. The intention was always to use her as Diana's replacement. Each lady had their own contract under their own name. That's how Jean was signed.
    That is how it was relayed to me bradsupremes. Thank you for the clarification.

That is how it was relayed to me bradsupremes. Thank you for the clarification.
    Hi Bluerock: when you interview Jean if you haven't already, it would be cool to ask her If she could elaborate on her pre Supremes recordings. Thanks.

i agree that Right On is a strong lp. while it might not have an overall theme, it still holds together well. Clearly effort was placed on song selection and identifying tracks that would be somewhat cohesive.

The write up on the Ross project is quite interesting. My only [[slight) disagree is over Everybody. I just don't think that it's a strong song. the mix is rather monotonous and uninteresting. doesn't have nearly the production qualities of Ladder. I think if they'd tried a few different things with it, it might have done better. a slightly faster tempo to keep in moving, more sharing of lead lines between the girls.

Frankly I think Loving Country would have made a better follow up. While the album track is long, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make sufficient edits to make it an appropriate single length.

Baby Baby is another strong song. very different for the girls. more aggressive. frankly it hints at some of the strong, aggressive vocals and sound of Time To Break Down.

Many of the other tracks are great album filler but don't have that "sparkle" like Ladder. Then We Can Try It Again, Just Take A Closer Look. work great in the album but they're not unique or special enough, IMO, to be a single. The ballads on the lp are very nice though

Dang it all, I saw it in a used record store in Austin TX and would have bought it if I knew u wanted it. Was decently priced. 臘 I have 2 already, but something told me to buy it!
    wow detmotownguy, if your ever in Austin again and it was still for sale, you would make one Motown fan very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    wow detmotownguy, if your ever in Austin again and it was still for sale, you would make one Motown fan very happy.
    I will next time I visit. I should have bought it and Ebayed" the darn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that Right On is a strong lp. while it might not have an overall theme, it still holds together well. Clearly effort was placed on song selection and identifying tracks that would be somewhat cohesive.

The write up on the Ross project is quite interesting. My only [[slight) disagree is over Everybody. I just don't think that it's a strong song. the mix is rather monotonous and uninteresting. doesn't have nearly the production qualities of Ladder. I think if they'd tried a few different things with it, it might have done better. a slightly faster tempo to keep in moving, more sharing of lead lines between the girls.

Frankly I think Loving Country would have made a better follow up. While the album track is long, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make sufficient edits to make it an appropriate single length.

Baby Baby is another strong song. very different for the girls. more aggressive. frankly it hints at some of the strong, aggressive vocals and sound of Time To Break Down.

Many of the other tracks are great album filler but don't have that "sparkle" like Ladder. Then We Can Try It Again, Just Take A Closer Look. work great in the album but they're not unique or special enough, IMO, to be a single. The ballads on the lp are very nice though
    Not a fan of Everybody but that album is in My top five fav. I was a tyke when my mom bought me the album and even at that young age I hung the album cover on the wall! The girls were hot! The album even sounded good even on my cheapo bedroom record player. I remember the neighborhood was talking abt the girls appearing on the Glen Campbell special promoting Ladder - they wore those pink pant suits. Damn they looked good. At a recent concert Mary noticed that they names didn't match the photos in the Detroit TV guide that was like the Bible- never ever Left he top of the TV 📺. I bel they had Mary and Cindy mixed up. Mary took it in stride and had a good laugh about it. She made a comment on how fans kept this "stuff" for years. "Y'all have all this good stuff". She is so much fun when she autographs after the concert. She does read the detail on articles etc when sighing. Great lady!

I would agree that when I first heard the Right On LP, I danced for joy. The songs were fantastic and I loved the sound of Jean's voice. The Loving Country is actually my favorite song from the LP. I didn't understand why Everybody's Got The Right To Love was picked as the second single, but I thought it sorta matched Diana's Reach Out & Touch in theme and style. That said, it seemed a bit bland to me - I like it but it's not one of my favorites. Then I heard the version from greatest Hits & Rare Classics. Now, that is the version that should have been on the original LP. The background vocals are heightened and the song has a bit more soul flowing through Jean's interpretation. I am happy to have both.

I agree - the released EGTRTL was blah. but with some more spark and excitement, it would have been better. But they introduced a big, lushly orchestrated, almost ethereal sound with Ladder. Loving country fit this well and then the obvious culmination of this "sound" was Stone Love. Everybody is nothing like these other tracks in terms of production style or arrangement. But it possibly could have

I think Right On is one of the supremes best albums. it just has a wonderful sound to it. I would have added Life Beats to it. I lso feel EGTRTL was the wrong choice to be a single. I haven't neard the Rare Classics version in a while so thanks for reminding me about it. will go and have a listen.
    even if this is a direct to download only. rather have one way than no way at all

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think Right On is one of the supremes best albums. it just has a wonderful sound to it. I would have added Life Beats to it. I lso feel EGTRTL was the wrong choice to be a single. I haven't neard the Rare Classics version in a while so thanks for reminding me about it. will go and have a listen.
    even if this is a direct to download only. rather have one way than no way at all
    Loving Country was just crying out to be the follow up to UTLTTR. Such a lost opportunity.

I think "Bill When are You Coming Back" should have been the official follow up to "Up the Ladder to the Roof" the DJ's in Detroit and Toledo were playing it often anyways. People just couldn't get enough of the New Supremes so they were not waiting for next single they just flip the record over and started playing and getting requests for "Bill......." I also liked one particular version of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" that Hal Jackson played every Sunday on his program on New York's WBLS. It was a good song and a good follow up overall. It was a Top 40 Hit for the ladies.

I loved LC as well, but my bid for follow-up to either UTLTHR and EGTRTL [[I seem alone here but I love the arrangement!) would be 'Bill'. My only issue with RO is the absence of Cindy and Mary on some tracks, and perhaps it was time for each to have a lead.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think "Bill When are You Coming Back" should have been the official follow up to "Up the Ladder to the Roof" the DJ's in Detroit and Toledo were playing it often anyways. People just couldn't get enough of the New Supremes so they were not waiting for next single they just flip the record over and started playing and getting requests for "Bill......." I also liked one particular version of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" that Hal Jackson played every Sunday on his program on New York's WBLS. It was a good song and a good follow up overall. It was a Top 40 Hit for the ladies.
    How could it have been follow up it was released with UTLTTR B side both sides got played here in UK,Shake my head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_t...er_to_the_Roof
    Marv I remember riding in the car and WJR am station played Bill. It was radio friendly. Also remember JP McCarthy playing you turn me around mentioning it was Mary singing lead. The radio jocks knew their stuff in those days. They sure supported Motown in those days. Interesting per Wiki- the first Supremes single to make the United Kingdom Top 10 since "Reflections" in 1967.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 06-14-2017 at 08:15 AM.

There have been times that the b side have became a group's next single. I'll be around by the spinniers is a prime example

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    "Up the Ladder to the . . . 'Woof!'"

Attachment 8032

[[I have had it with these bogus groups!)

Photo from
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...39_634x504.jpg
    HaHaHaHa! Good one, Meth2! [[I just discovered it.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_t...er_to_the_RoofInteresting per Wiki- the first Supremes single to make the United Kingdom Top 10 since "Reflections" in 1967.
    I was suprised to hear that but you are right. The highest chart placing between 'Reflections ' and 'Up The Laddder' were 'In And Out Of Love ' and 'Someday' which both made number 13. 'Im Gonna Make You Love Me' did make it to number 3 but that was with The Temptations of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_t...er_to_the_Roof
    Marv I remember riding in the car and WJR am station played Bill. It was radio friendly. Also remember JP McCarthy playing you turn me around mentioning it was Mary singing lead. The radio jocks knew their stuff in those days. They sure supported Motown in those days. Interesting per Wiki- the first Supremes single to make the United Kingdom Top 10 since "Reflections" in 1967.
    Well Detroit area DJ's were always very knowledgeable when it came to the music, the artists etc. "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was number one in some markets.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Here is another interesting fact about "Up the Ladder to the Roof"

It has completely different singers on it [[Jean, Mary and Cindy) than were on "Someday We'll Be Together".

Here is another interesting fact about "Up the Ladder to the Roof"

It has completely different singers on it [[Jean, Mary and Cindy) than were on "Someday We'll Be Together".
    I think most of us already knew that !!

I think most of us already knew that !!
    I think I just wanted to point it out again! The Supremes were an institution by then and no one skinny lead singer made a difference to the public.......

Mary and Cindy are indeed on Up the ladder to the roof but the Andantes are in the mix with them as well. Same with Stoned Love, heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Mary and Cindy are indeed on Up the ladder to the roof but the Andantes are in the mix with them as well. Same with Stoned Love, heavily.
    The Andantes are not on Ladder or Right To Love. Jean, Mary and Cindy did the beautiful backing harmonies, with Cindy being easily picked out of both songs.

I agree that the wrong mix of Everybody kept the record down. I think universally everyone thought Then We Can Try Again would be the next single. [[No Supremes at all on backing vocals there).

When I interviewed Jean in 1978 she said they had rather reluctantly settled for Bill to go as the first single. At the last minute Frank Wilson got Ladder from Vince DiMirco. Gordy felt that Bill's reference to the Vietnam war was better suited to one of his other groups, but not the darling Supremes. Bristol then submitted Life Beats, another great track but was rather unorthodoxed to be a single. Motown knew that the first single had to sound like a Supremes song but be modestly different so as to not sound like Diana Ross. Up The Ladder was the perfect song.

Um no the Andantes are not on either of those recordings. They have Jean singing in the background with Mary and Cindy to get the 3 part harmony, but go ahead and think it's the Andantes if you like.

Um no the Andantes are not on either of those recordings. They have Jean singing in the background with Mary and Cindy to get the 3 part harmony, but go ahead and think it's the Andantes if you like.
    This is scary. Marv is CORRECT!

There are no Andantes on Stoned Love. That's Jean, Mary and Cindy. In fact, that high note in the backing harmony just before Jean sings Can't you feel it...that is also Jean Terrell.

On the New Ways lp the Andantes add some filler on Bridge Over Troubled Water and I Wish I Were Your Mirror. Cindy is quite audible on Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, Shine on Me and Time To Breakdown.

Now on Touch he did use additional backing voices on most of the cuts, apparently seeking a choral effect.

The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy lp. On the title track the only time it's Mary, Jean and Cindy singing un-augmented is on the line "How much joy do I get from you." The only track on this lp that doesn't feature the Andantes on some are all of a track in Precious Little Things.

Milven. I've heard. "If you" for years and brought it up here in the past!

There are no Andantes on Stoned Love. That's Jean, Mary and Cindy. In fact, that high note in the backing harmony just before Jean sings Can't you feel it...that is also Jean Terrell.

On the New Ways lp the Andantes add some filler on Bridge Over Troubled Water and I Wish I Were Your Mirror. Cindy is quite audible on Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, Shine on Me and Time To Breakdown.

Now on Touch he did use additional backing voices on most of the cuts, apparently seeking a choral effect.

The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy lp. On the title track the only time it's Mary, Jean and Cindy singing un-augmented is on the line "How much joy do I get from you." The only track on this lp that doesn't feature the Andantes on some are all of a track in Precious Little Things.
    There are definitely more than three voices in the background for "Up the Ladder to the Roof", I hear Jean the most out of anyone in the background for that song though. With "Stoned Love" there are several parts in the song that sound very Andante-ish to me like "pray for peace", "don't you hear the wind...", "say it like it is". I'm not saying that Cindy and Mary don't contribute to the song just that there are others there...to my ear at least.