[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes and the Motown Sound

MS656 was slated for "The Supremes and the Motown Sound" but was never released. Does anyone know what the proposed track listing was and if there was any album artwork?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    MS656 was slated for "The Supremes and the Motown Sound" but was never released. Does anyone know what the proposed track listing was and if there was any album artwork?
    I've read that this LP was planned to highlight The Happening, as well as Supremes' renditions of songs from movies and broadway musicals. The full title [[I think) was The Supremes and the Motown Sound From Broadway to Hollywood. Several of the planned songs were released on There's A Place For Us:

Who Can I Turn
    If I Ruled The World
    Strangers In The Night
    What Now My Love
    The Shadow of Your Smile

There are others that I cannot remember...

The Sound of Music and Tender Is The Night were also planned for this LP.

J Randy Taraborrelli in 'Diana Ross A Biography' mentions that this album was to include "The Happening" .

Tracks scheduled for the album, other than those listed by Johnny B above:
    "The Sound Of Music"
    "Tender Is The Night"
    "Fancy Passes" [[version 2)

Sorry, JohnnyB
    I was obviously researching while you were posting again.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-20-2014 at 01:48 PM.

i've heard the full lp title was to read The Supremes and the Motown Sound: From Broadway to Hollywood. some other references also just say From Broadway to Hollywood.

in the There's a Place for Us, that last portion of the compilation are tracks from these sessions:

If I Ruled the World
    STrangers in the Night
    Sound of Music
    Tender is the Night
    What Now My Love
    Who Can I Turn to
    Shadow of your Smile
    Fancy Passes

and yes The Happening would have been included too, though given it's sound and arrangement, it might have been a bit disconnected from the other material.

given that most Motown lps at the time were 12 tracks, that leaves room for 3 or so more. they could have grab some from the There's a place of us set, perhaps All I Know About you [[flip side to The Happening)

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ......and yes The Happening would have been included too, though given it's sound and arrangement, it might have been a bit disconnected from the other material.
    As most of the instrumental tracks for this lp were recorded in LA, it wouldn't surprise me if the original attempt at "The Happening" , also recorded in LA, was intended for use in TSatMS:FBtH.
    However, [[in TCMSC Vol 7), quoting from an interview conducted with Lamont Dozier, HDH felt that the LA rhythm personnel weren't able to capture what they envisioned. So attempts were made in Detroit, with the second being utilized for the single.

I think it's funny they titled this "The Supremes and The Motown Sound: From Broadway To Hollywood" when basically all of the tracks with the exception of "The Happening" don't have the Motown Sound at all.

There are at least three different versions of "The Happening." The demo version released on the 2000 Pink box set, the single version, and the film version which, to my knowledge, hasn't been released in any form except being used in the film. The single version's track was cut March 2, 1967. The tracks for "Reflections" and the original instrumental for "In And Out Of Love" were also cut in the same session.