[REMOVE ADS]

What Does Tammi Terrell mean to you?

Happy St. Patrick's day, y'all. Dinelle here. I know that yesterday marked the 44th anniversary of Tammi Terrell's passing, but I am extending my tribute to today since March 16th, 1970 did fall on a Monday. Anyway, I was wondering about what she means to everyone whenever they see a rare photo of her or hear her name.

To me, she's more than just one of the biggest singers to come out of Motown who passed before her time. And more than just a character in a story that I like to write. I like to think she's sorta looking over me, and the proof is in the weather. It's like regardless of where I am on this specific day, it always rains, or snows in some cases.

So what does she mean to y'all?

A great talent but so vulnerable, according to all reports. She masked it all with a wild-girl façade in her private life but was always getting hurt, exploited, etc. I have not read her sister Ludie's bio of her, however, so there's a great deal I don't know about her. She always seemed a fragile sort of person, even down to the plaintive quality of her vocals.

supremester Guest
    A bright light. Everything I like in a singer. The ideal replacement for Miss Ross. Aside from Up The Ladder, I think she'd have improved every JMC recording and brought the spark, star power and vivacity the New Supremes needed.

honest man Guest
    She really would have been ideal to take Diana's lead in The Supremes,Although Jean was magnificent,Tammi would have completed the whole Ross Package in the trio ,cheers.

A beautiful talented spirited woman who was abused by the men in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by dinelle_watson View Post
    Happy St. Patrick's day, y'all. Dinelle here. I know that yesterday marked the 44th anniversary of Tammi Terrell's passing, but I am extending my tribute to today since March 16th, 1970 did fall on a Monday. Anyway, I was wondering about what she means to everyone whenever they see a rare photo of her or hear her name.

To me, she's more than just one of the biggest singers to come out of Motown who passed before her time. And more than just a character in a story that I like to write. I like to think she's sorta looking over me, and the proof is in the weather. It's like regardless of where I am on this specific day, it always rains, or snows in some cases.

So what does she mean to y'all?
    Now? What she means to me now is a beautiful, talented young lady that always seemed to be singing her heart out on those records with Marvin Gaye. I still listen to them and remember how great she was.

When I was a kid and Tammi was at the height of her fame, I just thought she was HOT! LOL! !

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    A bright light. Everything I like in a singer. The ideal replacement for Miss Ross. Aside from Up The Ladder, I think she'd have improved every JMC recording and brought the spark, star power and vivacity the New Supremes needed.
    The "New" Supremes were one of the greatest groups in the World at that time with Ms. Jean Terrell singing lead. You can't take that away from them and I am sure Tammi would have felt the same way.........

What Tammi means to me is a great talent taken from us
    too quickly.

edafan

thomas96 Guest
    An underrated, beauty who life passed by and took away much too soon. Prevents me from taking life for granted some times because it really can be so short and gone unexpectedly. May she RIP.

Tammi to be was a beautiful talented singer. However, she would have never joined the Supremes.

Although there was much conjecture among fans regarding Tammi's possibly taking over the post of Supremes' lead, I have my doubts that it was ever even considered inside Hitsville. Tammi had been signed as a solo artist and had released records under her own name before being teamed with Marvin. Once the two were paired she rose to fame. Even had she not become ill and died, it would not have been a wise move to place her in another act. For one thing, she was reportedly not terribly stable and The Supremes had had enough instability to deal with. For another thing, she was too well known on her own by that time to be reassigned to fronting a group. Third, she was tiny, physically, and would not have been able to carry off the necessary visuals very well. [[Granted, so were Scherrie and Susaye, but that was later, when less was at stake for the group as far as Hitsville's higher-ups were concerned.) All in all, it would have been a bad match, I think.

Lulu Guest
    One of the saddest tragedies in pop music. We lost Miss Tammi WAY too early. Even singing about heartbreak, her voice was pure pep! She was also cute as a button and of all of Marvin's duet partners, you really thought they were a couple from their musical banter.

RIP Tammi!!! We love you!

supremester Guest
    AL: Harvey Fuqua told me that no way would he let her into The Supremes and that he didn't think she'd work well in a group situation. He echoed much of your thoughts. I didn't know she was so small, I agree that would have been an issue as Mary, Scherrie & Susaye were a lovely, but odd looking trio height-wise. Still, I can dream, can't I?

What was/is Tammi to me? An angel. Her life may have been hell at times, but her voice was heaven-sent, and can still tingle my spine in a way that no-one else ever did. RIP, Tammi, an angel forever
    Last edited by ritchie; 03-21-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo

She is sometimes referred to as the "female Marvin Gaye" in the same way Ann Margret is referred to as the "female Elvis" but I do think there was more to her than just being Marvin Gaye's most beloved duet partner. She had class, sass and soul all wrapped up in one package. She was also an artist who never got to see her full potential either because she was used up [[James Brown) or not used wisely [[Motown in general). Marvin and David Ruffin both felt she should've went further than she did and I agree. There was just something about her. Unfortunately a childhood illness led her to live a very short life but boy did she live life to the fullest!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Although there was much conjecture among fans regarding Tammi's possibly taking over the post of Supremes' lead, I have my doubts that it was ever even considered inside Hitsville. Tammi had been signed as a solo artist and had released records under her own name before being teamed with Marvin. Once the two were paired she rose to fame. Even had she not become ill and died, it would not have been a wise move to place her in another act. For one thing, she was reportedly not terribly stable and The Supremes had had enough instability to deal with. For another thing, she was too well known on her own by that time to be reassigned to fronting a group. Third, she was tiny, physically, and would not have been able to carry off the necessary visuals very well. [[Granted, so were Scherrie and Susaye, but that was later, when less was at stake for the group as far as Hitsville's higher-ups were concerned.) All in all, it would have been a bad match, I think.
    That story about her supposedly being picked to replace DR was Motown folklore. Meaning it wasn't true at all. Tammi was a solo star amongst women. She probably would've only collaborated with men anyway as her history had it. She hooked up with James, Jerry Butler, Marvin, Harvey, etc. That being said, Patti LaBelle remembers that she shared a special kinship with Tammi though.