[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Cher's Believe best single by a female artist ever

Um...OK...you gotta love people with limited musical awareness who proclaim these things.

I happened to listen to "The Rose" by Bette Midler the other day. Remember that one? It was a MAJOR hit in early 1980. But, it was was a quality production with real singing without any studio hokery-pokery. I'm not saying Cher can't sing, and her song was fun fore about five minutes, but that song "Believe" was nothing but autotune. Techno-geeks loved it because of the technology. But, gimme some Nancy Wilson, Alicia keys...even Barbra Streisand!

The article is actually a list of "Best Selling" singles in the U.K. so personal opinion and musical taste [[or lack thereof) has nothing to do with this.

The same list has been posted on another forum in which I participate and surprise has been expressed that nothing from the '60s or early 1970s appears on the list. Maybe records didn't sell too well back then in comparison with the past two decades.

Roger

Thank you, roger, I was about to make that point but you beat me to it. Quantity and quality
    are two different things and I dn't give a red rooster booty about how many hot dogs so
    and so sells when I'm looking for a steak...

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    The article is actually a list of "Best Selling" singles in the U.K. so personal opinion and musical taste [[or lack thereof) has nothing to do with this.E]
    Heh! I quickly skimmed the article but missed that part where it was a list of best-selling singles.

The same list has been posted on another forum in which I participate and surprise has been expressed that nothing from the '60s or early 1970s appears on the list. Maybe records didn't sell too well back then in comparison with the past two decades.
    It is about the U.K., so I have nothing to add.

It's the same hokey uninformed people in sports

They named Michael Jordan as best athlete of the last century.

I guess they never heard of Babe Ruth, Bill Russell, or Jim Thorpe

I would take anything Ella Fitzgerald sings over anything
    Cher sings.

edafan

smark21 Guest
    Oooops! I forgot to include the word "selling" in the thread title field.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Oooops! I forgot to include the word "selling" in the thread title field.
    That changes the whole discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    It's the same hokey uninformed people in sports

They named Michael Jordan as best athlete of the last century.

I guess they never heard of Babe Ruth, Bill Russell, or Jim Thorpe

I would take anything Ella Fitzgerald sings over anything
    Cher sings.

edafan
    But in your instance it is just an opinion, and opinions of this nature are of course endless, subjective and ulimately rather pointless. You could just as easily say :

" They named Bill Russell as best athlete of the last century.

I guess they never heard of Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, or Jim Thorpe "

While not musical, I'd have to say that Babe Ruth was the best athlete in history, regardless of sport. A man who began as a pitcher & a Hall Of Fame class one at that, transformed into a beast of a hitter who out homered entire teams when he changed positions.

For better or worse, he impacted the way that the game of Baseball was played.

The title of this thread had me worried for a moment!