[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Unfortunately, as much as I love the expanded editions and rereleases, I will not be purchasing any of the MP3 only releases. MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product. Just doesn't do it for me. A big disappointment - especially when it is so inexpensive to run a few thousand copies off. Andy, George, and crew...this doesn't do your hard work justice. You deserve better

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think the cost of doing it well, classy and with a 40 page booklet is why they opted not to do a CD. I'm disappointed as well, but it's not like those cheap 9.99 Touch me In The Morning Cds someone was doing. This would have needed to be a 19.99 release and I think they got scared. I bought my Supremes in The Japan cd years after it came out and got #758. Fringe product that costs a lot may be a thing of the past. If Funny Girl does well, I think it would help our cause. Lots of people don't care about a physical CD, mostly us oldies but goodies.
    I believe the booklet has 40 pictures; it's not 40 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I understand that it is a PDF with high resolution from your feedback. Thanks. That said, after you print them out, I assume you just assemble and staple them in some way, but there is no need to print front to back? Just regular paper?

Also, I am unclear what "in the form of liner notes" means.

Thanks for your help.
    It is my assumption that many people don't print them out. However, iTunes used to [[I don't know if they still do) have an option to print them out in the form of liner notes.

And what I mean by that is that the pages resemble the square pages found in liner notes. If you print them out, there would be two pages per piece of paper, and you would cut each out, fold along the middle, and assemble a booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Unfortunately, as much as I love the expanded editions and rereleases, I will not be purchasing any of the MP3 only releases. MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product. Just doesn't do it for me. A big disappointment - especially when it is so inexpensive to run a few thousand copies off. Andy, George, and crew...this doesn't do your hard work justice. You deserve better
    You have to take the cost of production versus the profits of products sold into account. Considering they're releasing the worst selling Supremes record to a public with a dwindling Supremes fan base, they are probably running under the logical assumption that profits aren't going to match production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    From Andy Skurow's Facebook page...

The new booklet contains nearly 40 incredible photos. Most never-before-seen!

The original album had a chorus of background singers. Berry Gordy loved it, Jule Styne hated it. Mr. Styne tells the story in the booklet. For the bonus track versions, we have removed the chorus, which in most places was used in lieu of Mary and Cindy. Except for only three key moments, on the 2014 remixes, you will now hear only Diana, Mary and Cindy on the entire album for the first time ever!

[QUOTE=smark21;223778] But I do find the issuing of versions with just DMC on vocals noteworthy. Perhaps the same could be done for the Webb album--erase the extra voices of the Supreme Tabernacle Choir and just have Jean, Mary and Lynda on the songs? That I would buy and if it could be done, it would be a worthy digital only project.

Following along on this revelation, many other songs in the Motown/Jobete catalogue could be offered in similar fashion : DMF only/Andanteless "In and Out Of Love"; DMC only "Up the Ladder To the Roof", JMC only "Nathan Jones" , CBMN only "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" or A CAS only version of the same track, several Andanteless Four Tops tracks, etc, etc, etc.

Just for the record, I am not "boycotting" this release. Just as I have the option to shop at Wal-Mart or Target, I have the option to buy it or not. And also, just for the record, I have supported EVERY OTHER release. Even BEYOND the Supremes catalog. So please don't try and guilt me by saying that if I don't support this release, we won't get any more. That's bull*hit. The fact is that fans have been asking for this release for years. I'm not one to assume, but one might think this has been the most requested release from the Supremes catalog, if only because it's NEVER been available on physical CD. Furthermore, all of the hard work is already done. It's been remastered; remixed. The boys have completed a lush booklet; how much does it REALLY cost a company like Universal to whip up a 1000 copies? If Martha Reeves can release "Home to You" and Mary Wilson can release "Up Close", certainly Universal can release "Funny Girl".

The fact of the matter is: these releases do not sell because there is NO PROMOTION. This is being released next week. So far the only word I've seen is on Andy's Facebook, the Expanded Facebook and here on SDF. Not a PEEP from Universal, who have the ability to post on Facebook, Twitter, and the various websites they own. So it's not that we're not buying them, it's that NO ONE KNOWS THEY ARE BEING RELEASED.

Another question: Will these tracks - other than editing the vocals - be released as was? For example, we know that "People" was shortened, since we got the full-length version on the L&F set a few years back. Are they going to be released sans cuts, or with original cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Just for the record, I am not "boycotting" this release. Just as I have the option to shop at Wal-Mart or Target, I have the option to buy it or not. And also, just for the record, I have supported EVERY OTHER release. Even BEYOND the Supremes catalog. So please don't try and guilt me by saying that if I don't support this release, we won't get any more. That's bull*hit. The fact is that fans have been asking for this release for years. I'm not one to assume, but one might think this has been the most requested release from the Supremes catalog, if only because it's NEVER been available on physical CD. Furthermore, all of the hard work is already done. It's been remastered; remixed. The boys have completed a lush booklet; how much does it REALLY cost a company like Universal to whip up a 1000 copies? If Martha Reeves can release "Home to You" and Mary Wilson can release "Up Close", certainly Universal can release "Funny Girl".

The fact of the matter is: these releases do not sell because there is NO PROMOTION. This is being released next week. So far the only word I've seen is on Andy's Facebook, the Expanded Facebook and here on SDF. Not a PEEP from Universal, who have the ability to post on Facebook, Twitter, and the various websites they own. So it's not that we're not buying them, it's that NO ONE KNOWS THEY ARE BEING RELEASED.
    Mary, yes, promotion is one thing, but let's face it: even with promotion, I have a feeling sales would be a dud. Sure, us fans would be on it like white on rice, but casual fans and the general public would not. Let's face it. Getting them to release this album, of all things, in any format is a blessing. Why should they bother putting money and promotion into an album that A) bombed when it first came out, and B) is obscure outside of the Supreme/Motown fanbase? Universal is not alone here. When profits don't seem high, it's not going high on their to-do list. That's the unfortunate reality of it all. Unfortunately, I don't know how well the product would do even with promotion.

But can't an argument be made for how many times and in how many formats "Meet the Supremes" been released? That has to rank right up there in the "dud" category.

And how does this all relate to BABY IT'S ME? Talk/promotion about that release has vanished!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    And how does this all relate to BABY IT'S ME? Talk/promotion about that release has vanished!
    So true. Baby it's me was said to be a double cd. Then we heard it was going to be a single cd. Now we hear nothing.

I am with you on this all the way. You can't tell me there isn't a 1000 Diana Ross and the Supremes fans that wouldn't buy this on CD. Everyone keeps saying this is the future all kids do downloads. Well we aren't kids and most Supremes fans still buy their Cds. So who are they targeting? Are you guys saying that just because this is a digital release kids will now download it?

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Are you guys saying that just because this is a digital release kids will now download it?
    No, I'm saying that it's cheaper. And kids aren't the only ones switching to digital...

But can't an argument be made for how many times and in how many formats "Meet the Supremes" been released? That has to rank right up there in the "dud" category.
    I suppose, but MTS became much more desirable over the years, considering all of the abandoned tracks and alternates still floating around. I think my point is that Universal might not be able to acutely justify the expense of producing Supremes CD's anymore. We should also take into consideration how well they might have sold in the past, maybe that's part of the reason to go digital-only? Not sure.

What happened to the idea of a concept box set? Only four albums maybe done like the Beatles US albums with original artwork in a slip cover. Liverpool, Country Western & Pop, Sam Cooke and Funny Girl. That would have made more sense and at least gotten them out there then proceed with the rest. I have seen hundreds of CDs on amazon for example, that I would have never expected to see. If they can release all of Patty Duke's albums on CD they can certainly do these. Historically speaking, a download only of this is an insult to those of us who want the physical format and also to the Supremes catalog. It's all about money and Universal certainly can afford a limited edition of these wonderful albums together. Download? No thanks.

Will all the people who refuse to buy it also refuse to listen to and/or share/pirate it? Something tells me outrage and principle will only go far. And if you will share/pirate it, how will you justify that? "They didn't give me what I wanted the way I wanted it so I'm just going to take it and not pay for it instead"? Just curious...

MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product
    That all depends on the bit rate and compression quality and we don't know for certain Universal/Motown won't someday overhaul their entire catalog with HD-quality sound [[which kicks ass all over CDs by the way). As for durability, CDs are not the miracle product they were sold to us as - I can't count the number of CDs that have been damaged/scratched and I've even had some that have simply degraded/worn out over the years. As long as you back up your digital files to a safe place they will surely last longer than any physical product - there's nothing physical to degrade.
    Last edited by ejluther; 04-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.

"Baby It's Me" should have been the digital release. It appeals to Diana Ross fans.

"Funny Girl" appeals to Daian Ross fans, Mary Wilson fans, Supremes fans; perhaps even Streisand fans and Broadway fans. That's a lot bigger market, especially with the 50th anniversary of "FG" upon us.

Will all the people who refuse to buy it also refuse to listen to and/or share/pirate it? Something tells me outrage and principle will only go far. And if you will share/pirate it, how will you justify that? "They didn't give me what I wanted the way I wanted it so I'm just going to take it and not pay for it instead"? Just curious...

It's already out there for sale. I've seen many CDR's over the years of "Funny Girl" available. And have never bought a one, because I just assumed that one day it eventually would get a proper release. Look where that got me.

I GUARANTEE someone will be whipping up this set and selling as an "official" bootleg. Certainly someone is savy enough to print out the booklet and put a nice little package together.

I have bought all the previous Diana/The Supremes expanded editions, all the compilations etc. Yes, I even bought "At The Copa" - I have never even played it but I was glad to get it for my collection. I am however not at all "thankful" about some digital "release" - to me, it just doesn't exist. So I won't download it for free, or share it, or whatever. I don't care one bit about that format - they might as well ask me to buy this on cassette.

As for sound quality, the MP3 format can never come close to a CD sound [[although there are other audio formats such as lossless Wav that come very close). And some digital booklet to look at on-line? All so the company can save their money, while expecting us to fork out for a massively inferior product?

I understand that this album was a not a big seller. But don't tell me that a strictly limited CD copy would not sell out. Maybe not on the first day, but in time. This business has become all about instant return on the money - which is why artists are dropped today after a couple of singles, TV shows barely get half a season etc. Today, The Supremes would have been dropped after the first album. "Dallas" and "Beverly Hills 90210" would have been off our TV screens after the first season etc.

There are several ways to release Funny Girl on CD, for example as a part of a box set. Until that happens, Funny Girl remains [[to me) unreleased, except for the original vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    ...........I think my point is that Universal might not be able to acutely justify the expense of producing Supremes CD's anymore. We should also take into consideration how well they might have sold in the past, maybe that's part of the reason to go digital-only? Not sure.
    Unless things have changed, Andy Skurow announced on air that [[after the downloadable only DR&TS-S&PFG) there were [[some) Diana Ross/Supremes' projects being planned as physical releases. [[And , my feeling is, if they are offered as physical releases, we can be fairly sure that they shall appear either concurrently or at a later date as downloadable from Amazon & itunes to boot ).

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Unless things have changed, Andy Skurow announced on air that [[after the downloadable only DR&TS-S&PFG) there were [[some) Diana Ross/Supremes' projects being planned as physical releases. [[And , my feeling is, if they are offered as physical releases, we can be fairly sure that they shall appear either concurrently or at a later date as downloadable from Amazon & itunes to boot ).
    Totally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    What happened to the idea of a concept box set? Only four albums maybe done like the Beatles US albums with original artwork in a slip cover. Liverpool, Country Western & Pop, Sam Cooke and Funny Girl. That would have made more sense and at least gotten them out there then proceed with the rest. I have seen hundreds of CDs on amazon for example, that I would have never expected to see. If they can release all of Patty Duke's albums on CD they can certainly do these. Historically speaking, a download only of this is an insult to those of us who want the physical format and also to the Supremes catalog. It's all about money and Universal certainly can afford a limited edition of these wonderful albums together. Download? No thanks.
    That's what I've always hoped for - a concept box with the 4 LPs you mention and the Disney tracks as a bonus. These albums were all relatively short; I suppose because of the Disney you would need 3 CDs but I think it would be an awesome set. I love the Sam Cooke and Country sets...the Liverpool and Disney tracks I think are pretty pedestrian. The Funny Girl set sounds better to me now than it did back then. But this would be a great Hip-O project. I'm sure they've considered it. I hope sometime it will still happen.

Well it's very possible digital downloads will be released first followed by more deluxe physical editions in the future - that would certainly snare fans like myself who would undoubtedly buy both. Unless, of course, I knew for certain the physical releases were coming soon then I would pass on the digital downloads. But if that's not for certain they'd get me coming and going...

I refuse to buy a digital-only release due to the many reasons already posted by others. Once again, pressing a cd costs next to nothing even in limited quantities. If Universal would start a pre-order campaign where people could pre-order and pay in advance, much like pledgemusic or kickstarter, they would know how many cd's to press and would not be stuck with inventory.
    They could set a minimum number of cd's if needed, so if the pre-order campaign does not reach, say, 1,000, they will release the cd. I find it very hard to imagine that these kinds of releases would not be able to generate the interest of 1,000 cd buyers.

In addidition, if printing the expansive booklet is an issue [[which I don't think), they could include a simple 4 page inlay with the cd and provide the full booklet as a pdf either on the CD or online. The Playlist series from Sony works that way.

Where there's a will...

Excellent points. Indeed, where there's a will...

only available on amazon.com - not much use to fans outside of USA especially the huge motown uk fan base!!

And i I still think it's digital release only is rubbish !!!

why complain before we even hear it or get it, at least we are getting a release after almost 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    I refuse to buy a digital-only release due to the many reasons already posted by others. Once again, pressing a cd costs next to nothing even in limited quantities. If Universal would start a pre-order campaign where people could pre-order and pay in advance, much like pledgemusic or kickstarter, they would know how many cd's to press and would not be stuck with inventory.
    They could set a minimum number of cd's if needed, so if the pre-order campaign does not reach, say, 1,000, they will release the cd. I find it very hard to imagine that these kinds of releases would not be able to generate the interest of 1,000 cd buyers.

In addidition, if printing the expansive booklet is an issue [[which I don't think), they could include a simple 4 page inlay with the cd and provide the full booklet as a pdf either on the CD or online. The Playlist series from Sony works that way.

Where there's a will...
    That's just it. There doesn't seem to be a will on Universal's behalf. I mean, look at all the acts Universal has. They have so many "hotter" acts, and only - let's say - 1,000 people interested is probably not enough to go through promoting, producing, and distributing a CD that will likely sell very little as compared to what's current. It's all about where the money is, and unfortunately, the money is not in the Supremes anymore. Trust me, I wish they would release it in physical format, but from a business perspective, for Universal, it probably doesn't make much sense.

lesser known acts from the 60s have their complete works released on cd so why is there this prob with Motown acts...I mean at one point here in the U.K there was a budget label called Spectrum that was releasing Motown Anthologies on the lesser known acts with a whole load of unreleased material...so if Universal isn't interested in "Motown" then let the budget labels have access and be done with it...I would have purchased it in a heart beat had "funny girl" been released through Ace or Kent...not digital

But .... UMe/Universal is currently holding back releases already prepared by Keith Hughes and team for the Ace label. As far as any of us know, they have not yet given approval for the release of at least 2 cd's already completed.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    lesser known acts from the 60s have their complete works released on cd so why is there this prob with Motown acts...I mean at one point here in the U.K there was a budget label called Spectrum that was releasing Motown Anthologies on the lesser known acts with a whole load of unreleased material...so if Universal isn't interested in "Motown" then let the budget labels have access and be done with it...I would have purchased it in a heart beat had "funny girl" been released through Ace or Kent...not digital
    My experience is that "Northern Soul" has always been a bigger deal in the UK than here. I think there's more of a market for Chris Clark or Brenda Holloway or Kim Weston over there than in the US. That's not to say there's not a market here for their releases but I think it's harder to convince the record execs here to put out that stuff vs. across the pond.

smark21 Guest
    For those who won't download--is it because you've not been satisfied with previous downloads? Or you don't want to move on to a new media/platform for music? Or because this is just an item you want a physical copy of due to your love of Diana Ross/The Supremes?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    For those who won't download--is it because you've not been satisfied with previous downloads? Or you don't want to move on to a new media/platform for music? Or because this is just an item you want a physical copy of due to your love of Diana Ross/The Supremes?
    It could be a case of all 3 smarts21

Fondly,

Roberta

supremester Guest
    Next Tuesday we'll be in Chicago watching Miss Ross live! Live!! LIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Next Tuesday we'll be in Chicago watching Miss Ross live! Live!! LIVE!!!
    Shes on tour again? God bless miss Diane Ross.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Fondly,

Roberta
    Girl, I thought you knew! Here's a list of the venues: http://www.dianaross.de/

supremester Guest
    There are still some very nice $128.00 seats in Kansas City and a few in the back of the second balcony. The rest of the April/May dates are sold out or will be very soon. Do you live near Chicago? There are some lovely 3rd row Loge seats in the Mezzanine for $116.00 and upper balcony tix for 91.00 I'm sure Miss Ross would love to reach out and touch your blessed hand as she continues to keep The Supremes' Legacy alive and well with full-on versions of the original hits with the original lead voice and much better arrangements than even back when she was leading the group into history with Flo, Cindy, Mary, Jackie, Marlene, Louvaine, Maxine, Julia, Nick & Valerie singing background.

More shows are being added including Cincinnati her near-annual visit to Detroit in mid-June. The rumor is that Miss Ross is doing 50 North American dates this year to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of WDOLG......but you know how rumors are! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Fondly,

Roberta
    Last edited by supremester; 04-23-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I do not belong to Amazon or iTunes, and I have never downloaded music, so I can't comment on the quality. I do not own an iPad or an MP3 player. I'd like a physical copy for several reasons: it's a continuation to the collection of Expanded Editions that I have already purchased. Having nothing "to show" for this release makes it seem like my collection is incomplete. I am also a very visual person; I like to look and feel. I love packaging; from the pictures behind the inserts, to the booklets to the shiny new CDs itself. There is the argument that you can download the booklet; I get that. Do you need a special printer? Special paper? Do you need to cut it or staple it? What about ink? Lastly, "Funny Girl" is among the only, if THE only release in the Supremes catalog that has NEVER been issued on CD. If we don't get this now, we will NEVER get it.

my sentiments exactly Marybrewster.

Hello everyone! Wow, Funny Girl seems to have stirred up some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the playground. We are aware that most of you want CD's, we do too.

However, this was an opportunity to put out The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl the same day as the Streisand 50th Anniversary Broadway Cast Album, or wait until who knows when.

We took the chance and it is paying off, paving the way for our next releases, which have all been in purgatory for the last 18 months. The others will be physical, and then maybe we can do this physically in the future as well.

In the meantime, we hope you'll all listen in to John Perrone's Nightflight at www.womr.org this Tuesday, April 29 at 9 PM EST/ 6 PM PST, to hear George and I discuss Funny Girl, play the new mixes, and do a loving tribute to our friend Gil Askey.

Kevin Reeves is even stopping by to talk about our work with Diana, Gil and the new Funny Girl mixes.

See you all then!

Andy

Thank you, Andy, for hearing the fans and offering hope.
    My hope is that fans, those who have spoken and those who have been reading the debate but not voicing an opinion, will get behind the next physical releases in full force, so that even Funny Girl may be then offered as a physical release in the future.

I have an account with Itunes and have rarely had a problem. when I did they corrected it wihtin 24 hrs. never had a problem with the quality or sound. the photos come out nice and I can print them out if I want
    thanks Andy

I do not belong to Amazon or iTunes, and I have never downloaded music, so I can't comment on the quality. I do not own an iPad or an MP3 player. I'd like a physical copy for several reasons: it's a continuation to the collection of Expanded Editions that I have already purchased. Having nothing "to show" for this release makes it seem like my collection is incomplete. I am also a very visual person; I like to look and feel. I love packaging; from the pictures behind the inserts, to the booklets to the shiny new CDs itself. There is the argument that you can download the booklet; I get that. Do you need a special printer? Special paper? Do you need to cut it or staple it? What about ink? Lastly, "Funny Girl" is among the only, if THE only release in the Supremes catalog that has NEVER been issued on CD. If we don't get this now, we will NEVER get it.
    Exactly Marybrewster. I am the same way. I don't even like to have an original cd without the packaging. I will buy a whole cd just to get the complete case and inserts.

Thanks so much Andy. This sounds wonderful and I will keep my fingers crossed that one day we may get a physical release of Funny Girl. We know how hard you guys work on these. We love the Expanded Editions so much that it really gets us going. It is my prized collection and I wanted Funny Girl included.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 04-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Thank you for your response, Mr. Andy. I appreciate that you acknowledge the concerns regarding the release of "Funny Girl."

As consumers, it's important for our voices to be heard. And as someone that works in entertainment and also in management, I also know it's detrimental to hear feedback, both positive and negative.

I know if there's ANYONE that's on "our side" it's you. So please don't take my criticism personally; I absoultely adore you. But you should already know that.

I'll be skipping the digital download and take the chance that this might someday be released as a physical product. The love you pour into these releases is deserving of nothing less. And I truly hope you are appreciated for all of your hard work. I certainly do.

Just as I suspected. This digital release was a treat for the fans. If someone doesn't like "digital" releases, that is ok. You can wait for a possible future release- or as Andy said "or wait until who knows when". There are some who don't want to wait till who knows when and don't mind a digital release. I don't want anyone who voiced their opinion to think I am saying that they shouldn't have spoken up. That is your right, that is your preference. I also don't want Andy to think that none of us want any future digital releases. If the choice is between waiting until who knows when and a digital release for any future projects. I will go with digital releases.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 04-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.

I believe the booklet has 40 pictures; it's not 40 pages.
    http://www.amazon.com/Funny-digital-...ds=Funny+girlk

I just noticed that this digital download also has a digital booklet- helping to substantiate the concurrent releasing of the Streisand Broadway 50th Anniversary & the DR&TS later versions, of which Andy makes mention in his most recent post.

[QUOTE=skooldem1;224073............ I also don't want Andy to think that none of us want any future digital releases. If the choice is between waiting until who knows when and a digital release for any future projects. I will go with digital releases.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered the third option? Instead of Digital vs. Physical, why not both [[a download and a Cd release on the same day) , leaving the choice up to the individual.

We took the chance and it is paying off, paving the way for our next releases, which have all been in purgatory for the last 18 months. The others will be physical, and then maybe we can do this physically in the future as well.
    Hooray! Any chance you can confirm which albums will be the next releases? Thanks, Andy - you're the greatest star!