[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Shangri-Las

Shangri-Las

Does anyone know why the Shangri-las went from Betty being the lead singer to Mary? I want to say it was because Betty left the group for a brief period but she was still featured on "Remember Walkin' In the Sand" and "Leader of the Pack" before she left. I also always found it odd that they used Betty's name in that opening sequence for "Leader of the Pack" instead of Mary's. Also does anyone know if Mary is still performing today? I tried to look up if she had any upcoming dates but I couldn't find anything.

For years, Mary had dropped out of the music scene, but recorded a solo album in 2007. I don't know what she's doing now, but this is from 2008, and she's looking good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...ound_2008).jpg

http://www.maryweiss.com/home.html

Mary as a web site, but, it looks like it hasn't been updated in about 4 years.

Yeah I remember Mary's comeback was pretty hyped up back then and I was really excited about it along with all of her fans and she performed on national television a few times too and was giving interviews left and right and then it seems she just disappeared...AGAIN! Lol. I was hoping to see that she was still touring, I saw her back when she made her comeback and I wish I could see her again, I love Mary and the Shangri-las!

Betty was the lead on their record "Simon Says", which was before their Red Bird Records association with Shadow Martin producing. She still did several leads, but the hits were her sister Mary and it is odd that opening spoken line leads the listener to believe the lead singer is Betty. I saw them perform in 1966 as a trio--Mary, Betty, and one of the twins. Betty did sing lead on "Shout", which kiced-ass!!!! They could really, really sing.

It must have been Mary, Betty and Margie. Mary Ann left the group in early '66 shortly after "Long Live Our Love" was released. Then she came back to replace Margie in '67. That's so cool though that you got to see that line-up of the group.

Yes, it was after "Long Live Our Love", which had been their latest single, but they didn't perform it. It was in the spring as it called Shower Of Stars--Paul Revere & Raiders, Jan & Dean, Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels, and a lot of local bands performed as well.