[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Mar4, 9P-12M ET: TCMS 1967....Time Marches On!

Join me tonight for the continuing story of "Peyton Pla....errr.....whoops..... I mean the endless story of The Complete Motown Singles Collection! To be serious....it truly isn't endless....it just seems that way. Tonight, we will complete Motown year 1967 and move into '68! A big thanks to Bobby Gardner for his generous sharing of about 75% of the tracks you will hear during this project...thanks, Bobby [[aka rossholloway at SDF)! So join me tonight for this and a whole lot more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org John
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 03-04-2014 at 10:10 PM.

....in the studio!!! Wow...some echo!

I'm here. Couldn't click on your SDF thread as you didn't leave a space between "org" and "Thanks".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm here. Couldn't click on your SDF thread as you didn't leave a space between "org" and "Thanks".
    Martin.....howdy and thanks for being there! Sorry about the foul up!!! I fixed it!

Hello John!! Howz ya? Glad to be able to tune in. Have a fantastic show tonight. Mike Wheeler

"Two Can Have A Party" originally scheduled as A-side but dropped in favour of "If I Could Build...".

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date! But now "Here I Am Baby" and I ain't going another further!

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    Hello John!! Howz ya? Glad to be able to tune in. Have a fantastic show tonight. Mike Wheeler
    Mike!!!! Great to see you....glad you could be here!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date! But now "Here I Am Baby" and I ain't going another further!

After that....how on EARTH could I be unhappy!!!!!????? [[*grin)

RossHolloway Guest
    I'm finally home and listening!!!

I always thought the original version of "If This World Were Mine" was too short. Thanks for rectifying this!

Dang compooter!! Back shortly after technical difficulties are sorted!

I finally bought the "20 Feet From Stardom" DVD today. I'll be watching it later tonight - after Nightflight.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I'm finally home and listening!!!
    And Im so happy you are!!!! Hey there Bobby!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    I guess I never realized how early in 1967 Gladys Horton left the Marvelettes. My Baby Must Be A Magician was recorded in March of 1967. I always assumed Gladys had left in early '68.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    And Im so happy you are!!!! Hey there Bobby!!!
    Happy to be here Midnight!

Rich Rubino is back! Oh man, I was suppose to send him and e-mail when he was in Sicily. My bad. That four months went by really fast. Welcome back Rich!

I always thought the original version of "If This World Were Mine" was too short. Thanks for rectifying this!

My pleasure, Martin! Rectifying is one of my best things [[*grin)

RossHolloway Guest
    Ok my connection just dropped just as John was saying he had gotten a call from someone he had not heard from in 4 months. Who was the caller?

I guess I never realized how early in 1967 Gladys Horton left the Marvelettes. My Baby Must Be A Magician was recorded in March of 1967. I always assumed Gladys had left in early '68.
    I know what you mean, Bobby...it does seem they were released later!~

Ok my connection just dropped just as John was saying he had gotten a call from someone he had not heard from in 4 months. Who was the caller?
    WOMR DJ Rich Rubino, who just returned from a four month vacation in Sicily.

Rich Rubino...host of WOMR's "Sounds Of America"

supremester Guest
    Smokey cheated on ME, too!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Smokey cheated on ME, too!

What a bastard....you too??? Great to see you, Gregg!!

supremester Guest
    Hey Johnny.......saw Smokey last summer and the women were all over him! Love your show SO very much!

Amazing Grapevine was in the can and they released "You"........I like You, but...............Gordy really didn't hear Grapevine???? It worked out for the best, though cuz we got Gladys!

supremester Guest
    Try Purell on the disc.......wipe off thoroughly

supremester Guest
    Its such a testament to the Tops to get a hit off a song that so recently had just dropped off the chart.........LOVE this!

I love "Walk Away Renee" by The Tops! Actually even a little more than the orgininal.

supremester Guest
    PS Thank you for giving The Andantes their props - I'm sure they appreciate it - especially after The Oscar.

PS Thank you for giving The Andantes their props - I'm sure they appreciate it - especially after The Oscar.
    Never enough props for those ladies!!!

Chuck Jackson's "The Man In You" is a great track which deserved chart success. "Girls Girls Girls" was played as the A-side in the UK. Debbie Dean was very big on the Northern Soul scene.

Chuck Jackson's "The Man In You" is a great track which deserved chart success. "Girls Girls Girls" was played as the A-side in the UK. Debbie Dean was very big on the Northern Soul scene.
    I always appreciate your British perspective, Martin!!

I wonder how Jimmy Ruffin's first version of "Everybody Needs Love" sounds [[according to the libretto, the same track used for Harvy Fuqua's & for Mary's Well's version) ? This second version was produced by Norman Whitfield.

Flo & Mary, not Diana, are credited in most accounts as bringing Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers to the attention of Motown.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I wonder how Jimmy Ruffin's first version of "Everybody Needs Love" sounds [[according to the libretto, the same track used for Harvy Fuqua's & for Mary's Well's version) ? This second version was produced by Norman Whitfield.
    I love ENL, but I think the Velvelettes and GK&TH have the definitive versions of this song.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Flo & Mary, not Diana, are credited in most accounts as bringing Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers to the attention of Motown.
    I was talking about the J5 and that it was Bobby most responsible for that.

supremester Guest
    JP: This is my fave Supremes extension - I prefer it!

I can't understand why "Forever Came Today" was a relative chart failure; it's a brilliant record.

supremester Guest
    Thanks for a [[nuther) great show! Good night all!

JP: This is my fave Supremes extension - I prefer it!
    Thanks, Gregg!!!!

I can't understand why "Forever Came Today" was a relative chart failure; it's a brilliant record.
    I totally agree with you 144man. Although, if it had a "bigger" production in the final product I think it would have improved its chart action. Ya know, something like an extended mix by our Johnny!

Howard in Long Beach, CA - Very late in arriving here tonight!

supremester Guest
    After hearing John's extension, I can see that the 45 needed to be broken up with more instrumental sections - the track is amazing but not really appreciated with all the vocal over it......a great song!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    I was talking about the J5 and that it was Bobby most responsible for that.
    Let's see six degrees of separation:

Flo & Mary, not Diana, bring Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers to the attention of Motown.
    Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers bring the Jackson 5 to the attention of Motown.
    Bobby Taylor works with the J5 in the studio.
    Diana Ross' name is used to introduce the J5 as Motown signees to the world .

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    I totally agree with you 144man. Although, if it had a "bigger" production in the final product I think it would have improved its chart action. Ya know, something like an extended mix by our Johnny!

Howard in Long Beach, CA - Very late in arriving here tonight!

Howard....great you snuck in under the wire...good to see you!!!!

Thanks John! Thanks all! See y'all next time for "As The Motown Turns"

Good night MJ, and a hearty Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day to you all.

supremester Guest
    After hearing John's extension, I can see that the 45 needed to be broken up with more instrumental sections - the track is amazing but not really appreciated with all the vocal over it......a great song!