[REMOVE ADS]

20 Feet From Stardom Won the Oscar!!!!

FYI! Congratulations ALL!

Darlene kicked butt! 72 and going strong!

Congratulations to Darlene, Merry, Judith, et al! Well deserved!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Darlene kicked butt! 72 and going strong!
    She sure did and I love His Eye is on the sparrow and so did the audiences at the Oscars.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    She sure did and I love His Eye is on the sparrow and so did the audiences at the Oscars.

Roberta
    They gave her a standing ovation!

But where was TATA!?!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    But where was TATA!?!
    Likely there were only "allowed" one background singer as a representative and she was picked, chosen, drive the right straw or something.

Incredible for these women who participated. It has given them all a huge bump! As Tata said, she would ride this movie as long as she could!!

supremester Guest
    The Academy is very tight with tickets. I'm so happy for the win - it's a nod for The Andantes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    The Academy is very tight with tickets. I'm so happy for the win - it's a nod for The Andantes as well.
    If they are so tight with tickets....why would they give one to John Stamos?

I think in his acceptance speech, the director said that Darlene was there to represent all the back up singers.

Oscars 2014: Darlene Love Sings Through '20 Feet from Stardom' Acceptance Speech
    By Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter | March 02, 2014 10:15 PM EST

Darlene Love stole the show at Sunday's Academy Awards.

The prolific singer and actress received a standing ovation after showing off her pipes moments after The Weinstein Co.'s "20 Feet From Stardom" won the best documentary feature Oscar.

Love was one of several back-up singers featured on the crowd-pleaser "20 Feet From Stardom" and has backed up legendary musicians including Elvis Presley, Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen.

An iconic voice of the 1960s on The Crystals' hits "He's a Rebel" and "He's Sure the Boy I Love" and tracks like "Today I Met the Boy I'm Gonna Marry" and "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)," Love has been riding a wave of fame for the last year since the documentary exposed the famous backup singer's rich career.

In February, OWN acquired the television rights to Love's memoir, "My Name Is Love: The Darlene Love Story," which will be adapted into a scripted television movie.

Since its June 2013 release, "20 Feet From Stardom" has made more than $5.2 million at the box office.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...eptance-speech

I was so happy it won!

Congratulations to all involved!

Tata, Merry, Claudia and Judith were all in attendance as well. The Academy would only allow one singer on stage to represent the rest. Now on The Spirit Awards when they won for best documentary all of the ladies came up on the stage.

I don't know if I believe that. Why then does the Academy allow many people on stage for other awards given?

Maybe for picture of the year not for documentary of the year. I would not state something on here unless I knew it to be a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I don't know if I believe that. Why then does the Academy allow many people on stage for other awards given?

I'm not trying to start an argument, so I hope you don't take it that way. But why were all these people allowed on stage in 2012 for the award given to "Undefeated" for Best Documentary Feature?

[[Hope it is ok to post this youtube video)

They are the producers and directors of the film and not subjects that were in the documentary. Notice you don't see any of the football players that the film was all about. In the case of 20 Feet you'll see director Morgan Neville, Janet Friesen widow of producer Gil Friesen and KaitRin Rogers who also produced the project. Darlene was chosen to represent all the singers in the film. All the other ladies that were in attendance were all seated in the nose bleed section and would never have made it down to the stage in time. I would have loved to have seen all the singers go up on stage and get their props, but that's Hollywood for you.

Embrace the win for them !!!

Yes indeed, Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Embrace the win for them !!!

Question. Now that this documentary has won an award what happens with the ladies? I am sure the person/or people who were involved will get more work but will the ladies get more work? We know Darlene has connections with Paul Schaffer and Bruce Springsteen and she has been inducted into the RRHOF. Will winning this award bring more attention the other ladies and help them get more work/or more notice? Just curious for those who are in the know. Also I see where Oprah is going to do a movie on Miss Love based on her book which I have. Any thoughts or ideas?

I would hope that at the very least, the ladies get together for a tour while the interest is there. Since the film is still running in some areas, it would be great to capitalize on its success.

Just wish [[although I am happy for all of them) it could have happen years ago.