[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Harvey tidbit: i asked him if he thought Tammi would have, health permitting, been a good replacement for Miss Ross [[I thought she'd be ideal). Answer: an emphatic "NO" ....followed by several similar negs. He said she was not group material - and knew it. Also, he intimated the work load of the lead singer of The Supremes was not what he wished on his precious Tammi.
    I totally agree with him. I never thought Tammi being a Supreme would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Gregg, I still have 11 different issues of Reach Out! Do you recall how many there were total?

Attachment 7954
    I Love it! The Di-anagram!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Oh how well I recall this particular year...I was all of 16 years old and a MoTown-addict BIG TIME! Played those 45s, both sides, almost wearing them out, many of which I had to buy second copies of for this very reason. Oh, those were the days... uhmm...

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Yes.......................I remember.......

I tend to fall In And Out Of Love with this song but this version definitely puts me back in love with it again!

supremester Guest
    Wow, Joseph - I had forgotten about this naughty cover....Thanks for posting this! .I can't remember how many there were but I'm sure you got them all. I need to check out my stash. I really loved doing the fan club. It achieved my goal of getting Rossers in touch with each other - look at the friendships!
    Gregg, I still have 11 different issues of Reach Out! Do you recall how many there were total?

Attachment 7954

And of course "Reach Out!" issue No. 1
    Attachment 7955

supremester Guest
    You were technically correct: The Supremes had 2 releases.......Diana Ross & The Supremes had 2 as well ; )
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Ooooops!!!!! Thank you sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I tend to fall In And Out Of Love with this song but this version definitely puts me back in love with it again!
    Thank you, Glen!

Remember how pretty she and the girls were doing this on Ed Sullivan? Sooooo pretty!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Wow, Joseph - I had forgotten about this naughty cover....Thanks for posting this! .I can't remember how many there were but I'm sure you got them all. I need to check out my stash. I really loved doing the fan club. It achieved my goal of getting Rossers in touch with each other - look at the friendships!
    It was a great Experience, Gregg. I was always very proud to be part of it.

Well....thank you all for a terrific time and a great show....what would I do without you? I don't want to know! Have a great week and weekend, sweet folks!!!

supremester Guest
    Great show! TY! Goodnight All!

supremester Guest
    XO
    QUOTE=sophisticated_soul;214537]It was a great Experience, Gregg. I was always very proud to be part of it.[/QUOTE]

MoTown '67 has been heaven, can't wait for MoTown '68. Thanks John. Thanks all.
    See y'all next time.

supremester Guest
    Ijust saw this - this was #1? OMG Im getting senile......but I can see it was #1 - I increased the weight of the paper because I could see the type through it and I wanted a nicer feel.....LOL.........that pic ; )
    And of course "Reach Out!" issue No. 1
    Attachment 7955

Just noticed your post on this thread on 26 Feb, Carole. And I'm not sure that you're right, I think maybe Barbara's track was cut at Hitsville in Oct 1965. As far as I can see, the band track for the very first version was cut in LA, and the very first overdub was done by Connie Haines in Jul 1965. Jack Soo did a later overdub on the same track.

Don't think Connie Haines' version has ever been released. Maybe we ought to dig it out for Motown Girls Volume 2, what d'you think? At least then we'll know whether Barbara used the same track as Connie!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 03-02-2014 at 07:48 PM.

[QUOTE=keith_hughes;215192]Just noticed your post on this thread on 26 Feb, Carole. And I'm not sure that you're right, I think maybe Barbara's track was cut at Hitsville in Oct 1965. As far as I can see, the band track for the very first version was cut in LA, and the very first overdub was done by Connie Haines in Jul 1965. Jack Soo did a later overdub on the same track.

Hi Keith,

Your observation brings up a very point... How does one make corrections [[without damaging the look or continuity of essays, notes, etc.) to TCMSC now that it has been
    completed?
    Andy Skurow raised a similar thought recently on internet radio.
    I quoted information from pg 68 of Vol 7: 1967 , which states "McNair's version uses Soo's original band track."
    You have obviously since discovered that Jack Soo recorded his demo to Connie Haine's L.A. version and not to Barbara's Detroit track as stated in TCMSC.
    Any suggestions as to how one might make the appropriate correction would be welcomed.

Two separate points here. [[1) I'm not saying TCMS is wrong. What I said was that, going just from the paperwork, I'm not sure you're right! I don't recall whether I wrote that bit for V7, maybe someone who had listened to the Soo track [[Harry or Andy?) added the point at editing time. I will try and find out the correct answer, and get back to you. [[2) It's Universal's decision how correx to TCMS are to be published - if they are. I have a partial list, but it relates chiefly to the audio rather than the words. A web page has been suggested as the medium, seeded by us but then open to all. However, such a site would need a Moderator ... ask Ralph how much time he spends reading all we write! Hmm. I'm not sure I'd be up for that task.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 03-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.

supremester Guest
    Keith, do you know if they plan to correct the use of the album version they used of I'm Still Waiting instead of the single?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Two separate points here. [[1) I'm not saying TCMS is wrong. What I said was that, going just from the paperwork, I'm not sure you're right! I don't recall whether I wrote that bit for V7, maybe someone who had listened to the Soo track [[Harry or Andy?) added the point at editing time. I will try and find out the correct answer, and get back to you.
    What a most unique way to word the issue... perhaps it's culturally based [[U.K. vs. U.S. interpretation).I've heard neither the Connie Haines nor Jack Soo version. My interjection into the Barbara McNair discussion was based on information given in TCMSC. If what I said was not right, it is because the information provided by your wonderful team was not right either.Whatever the case might be, it would be good to hear the Connie Haines track on Motown Girls 2. And although it may be outside of the time frame used for Vol 1, might you expand it to 1970, and include an early Jean Terrell & Andantes/Jean Terrell, Mary & Cindy track? My suggestion would be "That's How Much You Made Me Love You".

Carole, I should have said "I'm not sure THAT'S right" rather than "I'm not sure you're right". My apols for making it appear you were in the wrong. My bad phrasing.

Supermeister, I have no idea re "I'm Still Waiting".

Carole, I've now researched this more thoroughly, and I am pleased to tell you that TCMS7 is right, you are right, my comments above were wrong.

Connie Haines cut the first version in Detroit - dubbing in her vocals on a band track cut in California. Jack Soo cut a demo in Detroit, and then a proper version in LA, using a different band track to the one Connie was given. Barbara McNair dubbed her vocals onto Jack Soo's band track, although Jack's was mixed [[to mono) and is available and useable.

Once again, my apologies for commenting before checking carefully. Connie's version is well worth hearing, and I will suggest it for Motown Girls 2 - if and when we get around to it! There are other projects in the queue ahead of it, waiting for release. I haven't heard "That's How Much You Made Me Love You", though I see it's available on tape in a stereo mix. But of course, Andy Skurow may have plans for that one!

Keith,
    Thank you for the research.
    So, Motown Girls 2 is only in the planning stage.
    If memory serves me right, you revealed a while back that the next Motown/Ace/Kent release would be comprised of 50% released/50% unreleased [[perhaps Motown Guys 1?)
    followed by a 100% unreleased cd.
    A Motown release should have moved further up in the queue as the second quarter of 2014 is coming swiftly upon us.
    I'll pray for patience until then.