[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Feb 25, 9P-12M ET: Back In The Saddle Again-TCMS 1967!!

Howdy, Pardners! After an amazing show last week with the indomitable Tata Vega and the tireless Andy Skurow, we are back on track with the Complete Motown Singles Collection for the year 1967!! We will get this collection completed....or pass out trying! And a big fat thanks to Bobby Gardner....SDF's rossholloway...for making this show possible by sharing with us 75% of the tracks that you have heard or will be hearing. Join me tonight for all this and more....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org Thanks!! John

I thought Andy and Tata were going to come back for part 2!!!! I can dream can't I That was a fabulous interview John. The three of you together took the Nightflight interview to a whole new level. Tata was so inspirational.
    Looking forward to joining you and the gang tonight for the ongoing, continuing, never ending, memory making, happy feeling, tour of the MoTown singles.

Joe...thank you, my friend! Part 2 would be so nice...but our Tata must rest up for her Oscar appearance. And as far as TCMS? Onward and upward....1967 is truly a very good year!See ya later...Gator!

Looking forward to tonights show. Its hard to follow Tata Vega so slipping back into some classic 1967 Motown is really the best course of action to take! See everyone here at nine......

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Looking forward to tonights show. Its hard to follow Tata Vega so slipping back into some classic 1967 Motown is really the best course of action to take! See everyone here at nine......
    Good Evening, Mr. Wood! Glad you'll be here!

Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....in the studio!!!

Howdeeeeeeee 2 ya 2!

Back to "The Sound of Young America" of 1967!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Sorry I couldn't be with you last week for Tata Vega, but it's Full Speed Ahead this week for 1967.

supremester Guest
    HOWDEE Y'ALL...........And especially to JP and Rossholloway for making 1967 happen tonight........... I wouldn't change the men you are!

supremester Guest
    These Love Bug verses are so eloquent - I always forget that wayward breeze.........

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Howdeeeeeeee 2 ya 2!

Back to "The Sound of Young America" of 1967!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Great to see you, Howard in Long Beach, CA [[*wink)

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Sorry I couldn't be with you last week for Tata Vega, but it's Full Speed Ahead this week for 1967.
    Martin....a pleasure to see you....thanks for staying up for us and the music!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    HOWDEE Y'ALL...........And especially to JP and Rossholloway for making 1967 happen tonight........... I wouldn't change the men you are!
    Very sweet of you, Gregg....great to see you...and not just because of the compliments [[*grin)!

I wonder how the Jack Soo demo to this instrumental tracks sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I wonder how the Jack Soo demo to this instrumental tracks sounds?

HUHHHHHHHHHHH? Hi there, Carol!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    HUHHHHHHHHHHH? Hi there, Carol!!
    Jack Soo, of 'Barney Miller' fame, sang a demo version of "For Once In My Life" over the same instrumental track that was later used for Barbara McNair's version.

supremester Guest
    And I'm with you, John: Brenda's version 10000%

Those Motown Music Machine karaoke cd's were great, weren't they? You always work such wonders using them. It's a shame that they weren't continued.

Jack Soo, of 'Barney Miller' fame, sang a demo version of "For Once In My Life" over the same instrumental track that was later used for Barbara McNair's version.
    Wowwwwwwwwwwww......now that's a true nugget! Thanks Carole!!!

Beautiful extension of YMMSVH John....

As Brenda has been quoted as saying that she found out too late that Berry Gordy was planning to prep her for Las Vegas, your extended version of "YMMSVH" would have been a fantastic opening song for Brenda's debut there.

The libretto said nothing about backgrounds for "YMMSVH" but Brenda's voice is definitely in the background as well as out front.

Those Motown Music Machine karaoke cd's were great, weren't they? You always work such wonders using them. It's a shame that they weren't continued.
    Carole.....from your lips to God's ear!!!!

supremester Guest
    Harvey Fuqua told me Your precious Love was his fave record with Tammi and among the sides he was most proud of [[another, Just A Lonely Christmas - he was so happy to hear me rant about that just released cut.)

The libretto said nothing about backgrounds for "YMMSVH" but Brenda's voice is definitely in the background as well as out front.
    Thanks, Carole...Brenda did that quite often....and was great as a background...she KNEW how to blend!

RossHolloway Guest
    I definitely prefer CC's version to the Miracles version.

Does anyone think Berry gave Diana Chris' 45 of Beginning Of The End To study or, if they were on the road, did he just unlock the door to the adjoining hotel suite and tell Chris to sing it for her......

supremester Guest
    My friend Geoff is a new listener and he was with me when I interviewed Gil Askey in 1988 - amazing night! AND he sang BG for Martha when she needed a Vandella bad and he just happened to have the attire!
    Last edited by supremester; 02-25-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Does anyone think Berry gave Diana Chris' 45 of Beginning Of The End To study or, if they were on the road, did he just unlock the door to the adjoining hotel suite and tell Chris to sing it for her......
    Glen...Glen....Glen........I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

My friend Geoff is a new listener and he was with me when I interviewed Gil Askey in 1988 - amazing night!

Wow......was it for radio or publication?

supremester Guest
    The interview was for my own knowledge but I published most of it in Reach Out! I published akll of my interviews except Harvey. Geoff sang bg for Martha twice, btw - I forgot one time in jeans, one time quite fetching in an evening gown.

I've never enjoyed "I'm Wondering" that much before. Brilliant extended version!

supremester Guest
    I also interviewed Cholly, Mrs Powell, Nick Martinelli [[a fave solo producer) but Gil was so......just a very lovely man and a dream come true for me.

The interview was for my own knowledge but I published most of it in Reach Out! I published akll of my interviews except Harvey. Geoff sang bg for Martha twice, btw - I forgot one time in jeans, one time quite fetching in an evening gown.
    Very impressive!! Any way you can make the interviews available to us drooling Motown fans, Gregg?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've never enjoyed "I'm Wondering" that much before. Brilliant extended version!
    Thank you, Martin....much appreciated!!!

It's Time To Go Now - One of my all time favorite Gladys/Pips songs. I played that b-side into the ground. What a beautiful song. I always thought it would have made a great Supremes' song.

supremester Guest
    I will send you copies of the newsletters with the interviews, JP - I somehow thought you had read them. I think I have them all still......I 'll look. Plus, I need to get Harvey out there. He had a fair amount of non complimentary things to say about certain individuals and I felt it would cause unhappiness to put it out in the newsletter, but also not true to his intent to censor his heartfelt thoughts about subjects that he clearly was passionate about.
    Harvey ran the Copa rehearsals and worked with Gil & Cholly on content and presentation. He also discovered Tammi and loved her also.

You're right John, "It's Time To Go Now" could have been one of those songs that everybody at Motown recorded. Brenda would have been perfect and likewise Mary Wells.

supremester Guest
    Is this awesome Grapevine on Youtube, Johnny?

supremester Guest
    My friend Geoff is not a member here yet, but he is LOVING these Grapvines and just asked if there is a mashup of the two............yet?

I will send you copies of the newsletters with the interviews, JP - I somehow thought you had read them. I think I have them all still......I 'll look. Plus, I need to get Harvey out there. He had a fair amount of non complimentary things to say about certain individuals and I felt it would cause unhappiness to put it out in the newsletter, but also not true to his intent to censor his heartfelt thoughts about subjects that he clearly was passionate about.
    Harvey ran the Copa rehearsals and worked with Gil & Cholly on content and presentation. He also discovered Tammi and loved her also.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gregg!!!

My friend Geoff is not a member here yet, but he is LOVING these Grapvines and just asked if there is a mashup of the two............yet?

Ohhhhhhhhhh....I don't think I can....the backings and tempos are sooooooooo different. Someone else that has more guts than I have might mash them.....oy.....mashed grapevines......

I saw Edwin Starr performing in a London club called Tiles in 1966. I didn't know he was a Motown artist then...and nor did he!

supremester Guest
    Have you thought of mixing Gladys & Marvin? Sounds like a good idea and if anyone can do it, you can!

supremester Guest
    Supremes '67: Love Is Here, The Happening, Reflections and In & Out of Love.

Supremes '67: Love Is Here, The Happening, Reflections and In & Out of Love.
    Ooooops!!!!! Thank you sir!!!

Have you thought of mixing Gladys & Marvin? Sounds like a good idea and if anyone can do it, you can!
    Gregg...see my post a few posts above.....

supremester Guest
    Harvey tidbit: i asked him if he thought Tammi would have, health permitting, been a good replacement for Miss Ross [[I thought she'd be ideal). Answer: an emphatic "NO" ....followed by several similar negs. He said she was not group material - and knew it. Also, he intimated the work load of the lead singer of The Supremes was not what he wished on his precious Tammi.

Oh how well I recall this particular year...I was all of 16 years old and a MoTown-addict BIG TIME! Played those 45s, both sides, almost wearing them out, many of which I had to buy second copies of for this very reason. Oh, those were the days... uhmm...

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Gregg, I still have 11 different issues of Reach Out! Do you recall how many there were total?

Attachment 7954