[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Yoko is fierce and fearless! She makes Miss Ross at her most divaesque seem like a wallflower.
    She may have backed Mary up on "Stop in The Name of Love" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions in 1988.........I like May Pang better.

Yoko is fierce and fearless! She makes Miss Ross at her most divaesque seem like a wallflower.
    She may be fearless, but she has no musical talent. I don't care what you say, she has no musical talent and whatever comes out of her mouth is just painful.

So did Mary ever miss a show between 1964 and 1967? I seem to recall she said she never missed a show until a gig in 1972 where Jean, Lynda and Cindy performed. Florence really missed a lot of shows if you think about it, she was missing shows as early as 1965. I remember reading an article from late summer of '65 where they said a few shows were cancelled because Florence was sick. And then I recall several shows in late '66 were cancelled because Flo was again sick. I do wonder though what they did that time when Diana had a nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized. I'm sure those shows were cancelled, I really can't imagine them replacing Diana for a few shows.

supremester Guest
    LOL.......good one! Truly, I loved her songs on Double Fantasy and all the links I posted are songs I dig a lot........that being said, she is an acquired taste and this clip is one of her styles I never warmed up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    And to think, the world could have seen this treasure as the next Diana Ross...

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    LOL.......good one! Truly, I loved her songs on Double Fantasy and all the links I posted are songs I dig a lot........that being said, she is an acquired taste and this clip is one of her styles I never warmed up to.
    Haha to be honest, I did think you were kidding at first, but hey if you like her, good for you! She definitely needs much aquiring, taste wise. For me, personally, it's like listening to a drunk cat wretching...LOL! At least in more recent clips like this. I don't know too much from her earlier stuff.

I am, and have been a Yoko fan since the early Plastic Ono Band records...she is unique,and wonderful.. also trans gender punk pioneer Wayne, who is now Jayne County.. diverse artists are quite interesting.. UK 80's pop star Toyah as well..

Ohhh? Ok

yoko is fierce and fearless! She makes miss ross at her most divaesque seem like a wallflower.

Whenever I need a good laugh I just listen to anything Yoko Ono recorded. Her albums should be sold in stores under the comedy section.

In all seriousness I don't know how anyone could think she has any musical talent. Fact is had she not married John Lennon no one would know who she is today. People can defend her by saying she's avant-garde, but to me avant-garde is just a talentless genre of people who claim they have talent and the rest of us just don't understand it.

That's why art is subjective - what is good to some, doesn't have to be good to others. Wouldn't it boring if we all liked the same things? And the very fact that you don't like avant-garde music at all probably means you're not a very good judge of it. The same goes for anyone who doesn't like country or opera or pop or Motown...if someone simply doesn't like any of it, they're in the worst possible position to critique it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    That's why art is subjective - what is good to some, doesn't have to be good to others. Wouldn't it boring if we all liked the same things? And the very fact that you don't like avant-garde music at all probably means you're not a very good judge of it. The same goes for anyone who doesn't like country or opera or pop or Motown...if someone simply doesn't like any of it, they're in the worst possible position to critique it.
    The reason why I hate it is because what's its meaning and where's the creativity. Just like that video of Yoko screaming into a microphone. She does it and people think it's art, it has a profound message and can be analyzed. However Jane Doe could walk off the street do the EXACT same thing and those same people call it garbage. What's the difference?

Yoko Ono has no musical talent. Look at comments on the YouTube videos of her and you'll see hundreds of thousands who agree.

yoko ono was a famous performance artist before she met john lennon. she is a creative genius, and her conceptual art should not be compared with pop music. they are two different things. don't be a hater, just because you don't understand something!

supremester Guest
    If this clip is art, it's beyond me. Tony Soprano, when presented with framed art of The Rat Pack on The Strip, beamed with joy and said, "Usually I don't like modern art" .......... Yoko screaming in a mic makes me laugh, and I didn't buy "Unfinished Symphony" - a recording of her having a miscarriage that was edited and released as a single, but I love some of her 80's stuff. I was digging punk back then and her stuff was fun, but it made some of my friends cringe and, to be fair, I was enjoying 'Ludes when I first heard her stuff. I'd still be enjoying them if that mummy fuck Reagan hadn't ordered their demise...... but I digress. My friends loved Walking On Thin Ice in the bars and were shocked to find out it was Yoko, but liked very little to none of her other work. Listen to this song while not paying too much attention to her vocal quality - it came out shortly after John died. . I like it and wanted Miss Ross to cover it [[and Dogtown.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_o-NA4u5kg

Haha to be honest, I did think you were kidding at first, but hey if you like her, good for you! She definitely needs much aquiring, taste wise. For me, personally, it's like listening to a drunk cat wretching...LOL! At least in more recent clips like this. I don't know too much from her earlier stuff.
    Last edited by supremester; 02-22-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    If this clip is art, it's beyond me. Tony Soprano, when presented with framed art of The Rat Pack on The Strip, beamed with joy and said, "Usually I don't like modern art" .......... Yoko screaming in a mic makes me laugh, and I didn't buy "Unfinished Symphony" - a recording of her having a miscarriage that was edited and released as a single, but I love some of her 80's stuff. I was digging punk back then and her stuff was fun, but it made some of my friends cringe and, to be fair, I was enjoying 'Ludes when I first heard her stuff. I'd still be enjoying them if that mummy fuck Reagan hadn't ordered their demise...... but I digress. My friends loved Walking On Thin Ice in the bars and were shocked to find out it was Yoko, but liked very little to none of her other work. Listen to this song while not paying too much attention to her vocal quality - it came out shortly after John died. . I like it and wanted Miss Ross to cover it [[and Dogtown.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_o-NA4u5kg
    Ok, I understand that a lot more than her "avante-garde" stuff. Still, I find her voice very weak and unsettling. The tune is catchy, but unfortunately it reminds me of bad karaoke. But hey, to each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    yoko ono was a famous performance artist before she met john lennon. she is a creative genius, and her conceptual art should not be compared with pop music. they are two different things. don't be a hater, just because you don't understand something!
    I think the issue is, and I agree 100% with bradsupremes on this, is that ANYONE can can do some of this "avante-garde" stuff today. For example, I went to a DC museum for art, and hanging on the wall was an orange canvas tilted slightly to one side, and that was the piece. Again, anyone can do that. It's as if art - as in post-modern and avante-garde art - has become lazy by attempting to, or pretending to, imply a "deeper meaning." In college, I spent a whole year studying and discussing classical music from the 20th century on and you won't beliieeevvee some of the stuff I heard. I mean, some of it gives Yoko Ono a run for her money! I studied it, even wrote a thesis on it, and I still hate most of it. You can still understand it and hate it, but at the same time, if the artist is deliberately trying to create something so abstract that only the "in-the-know" get it, where's the value in that?

Just my two cents. Of course, others see it differently, and I respect that.

Great points all around - I love discussions like this [[especially when they pop up in the oddest of places - from The Supremes on the Tonight Show in 1967 to Yoko Ono and avant-garde music?!? Love it!). I suppose it's the definition of "music" that's at the heart of this issue - as someone who's enjoyed and appreciated "avant-garde" music I still have to admit that I don't really think of it as "music" as much as "art" - in fact, I'm much more comfortable with calling it "art" than music. As thisoldheart put it:
    conceptual art should not be compared with pop music. they are two different things.
    I guess I call it "music" because the people who create it often call it that themselves but, at the end of the day, it really is apples and oranges. And I like both apples and oranges...

smark21 Guest
    Listening to those Yoko clips, it's obvious there's a craft to what she does. Breath control and volume and other aspects of the voice are in playing and it's something that has to be developed. She's not trying to sing pretty or provide escapist entertainment. I really like how she does a "Yoko Ono" version of the US National Anthem...taking a jingoistic song that celebrates war and just does the melody with her trademark screams and orgasmic moans. She takes on that song with the full arsenal of her vocal style. It's not meant to be a mindless celebration of US militarism and patriotism.

supremester Guest
    In the high school, most of my friends banned me from bringing my records to parties. I took extra heat for Gladys Knight & The Pips and Marvin Gaye because of their names, while Canned Heat, Led Zepplin, Creedence, Zappa and Jimi played on. Marvin became acceptable only after What's Going On. One bud liked The Funk Bros on side 1 of Cloud Nine lp. So, I'm used to having musical interests that differ with my homies. I was more open to Yoko, I believe, as I was buds with Greg Sage since the early 70's and his band, The Wipers, were pioneers in Punk - I was digging it before it was even called Punk, I think. Hearing Yoko's spin on the influence of The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys [[two of whom were very hot) wasn't so weird to me. I instantly loved all of her Double Fantasy tracks and still enjoy most of her 80's work and writings. Of course, she picked up some fans because John loved her so, and she was all we Lennonites had when he passed [[holding a rough mix of Walking On Thin Ice.) I knew how they all felt as I used to get sick listening to Country but tried to be respectable.

I must come out of the closet here. I am no Yoko Ono fan by any stretch of the imagination but her cuts on the Double Fantasy album for some odd reason appealed to me. I agree Supremester. I never thought I would admit to this.

supremester Guest
    Don't humiliate yourself - we'll just keep it between you and me ; )