[REMOVE ADS]

Ain’t No Stopping Them Now: Sony Acquires Entire Philadelphia International Catalogue

Ain’t No Stopping Them Now: Sony Acquires Entire Philadelphia International Catalogue, Box Set Coming Soon

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/02/13/...on/#more-24265

Great news and I was about to faint reading about the Intruders who have been so long neglected that it needed investigating. What I don't understand is what about the pre 1975 albums like "Cowboys To Girls," "The Intruders Are Together" and "When We Get Married." It wasn't clear to me if those albums would see the light of day.

This great! I have been somewhat unhappy about the relative unavailability or questionable sound quality of some post-1975 material.

I'll have to get a second job to pay for all this new stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    This great! I have been somewhat unhappy about the relative unavailability or questionable sound quality of some post-1975 material.

I'll have to get a second job to pay for all this new stuff!
    You and me on the second job thing. Since I got into high rez, I've been finding stuff and it's a constant drain on the budget. I even found the "There's Gonna Be A Showdown" album in a high rez download as well as Ray Charles, "The Ray Charles Story Pt 2" which I got hip to thanks to my father years ago. Back to Philly, some of this stuff is ready available so I'll be concentrating on the material that has never been on CD [[Intruders).

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    You and me on the second job thing. Since I got into high rez, I've been finding stuff and it's a constant drain on the budget. I even found the "There's Gonna Be A Showdown" album in a high rez download as well as Ray Charles, "The Ray Charles Story Pt 2" which I got hip to thanks to my father years ago. Back to Philly, some of this stuff is ready available so I'll be concentrating on the material that has never been on CD [[Intruders).
    I hope i've been influential in introducing you to the world of hi-rez!

Jean Carn and The Jones Girls. That's all I want, right now. I can wait on the rest...

I'm not sure if this album was released on the label, but I know Gamble & Huff produced it. Do you think finally, "The Spice of Life" by Jerry Butler will be reissued?

nysister

I'm afraid Gamble & Huff's only contribution to The Spice of Life album is the track "One Night Affair", the album was issued by Mercury, could you be confusing it with the 2 Iceman albums also on Mercury or the later Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You & The Best Love I Ever Had albums which were issued by Philly Int.

[QUOTE=mr soul;213727]nysister

I'm afraid Gamble & Huff's only contribution to The Spice of Life album is the track "One Night Affair", the album was issued by Mercury, could you be confusing it with the 2 Iceman albums also on Mercury or the later Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You & The Best Love I Ever Had albums which were issued by Philly Int.[/QUOT

mr soul, thank you for the correction. I don't know why I thought that G&H produced the entire album. Oh well, maybe one day the album will see the light of day again remastered!
    Last edited by nysister; 02-20-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

Spice Of Life is a great album... cast of thousands!

Jerry at his coolest!

and to keep this album relevant to this Philly post...... even if the only connection is Gamble -Huff composition

Am I alone in thinking that putting all of the Philadelphia International catalogue in the hands of Sony is a bad idea? Sony have hardly covered themselves with glory with their exploitation of the CTI and Kudu catalogue, so I'm not holding out much hope for what they plan to do with PIR.

nysister

I agree entirely a re-mastered version is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that putting all of the Philadelphia International catalogue in the hands of Sony is a bad idea? Sony have hardly covered themselves with glory with their exploitation of the CTI and Kudu catalogue, so I'm not holding out much hope for what they plan to do with PIR.
    No, Sony has done a fine job with soul music they have reissued, so far. Sony reissued tons of PIR, and other music on CD in the 90s, and they sound excellent!

The only problem with Sony is that they still have ignored a lot more music over the years that other small domestic, U.K. and Japanese labels have reissued. It took other labels to get Brick, Emotions, Denise Williams, and the rest of the Isley Brothers out there. And, while not exactly R&B, Wild Cherry is still missing, as is The Reddings. But, obscure rock like Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, or the entire Blue Oyster Cult have been out there on CD for years.

2 Original Album Classics sets for the O'jays and Teddy Pendergrass containing 5 original Philly Albums will be released on april 14, 2014.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Alb...dy+pendergrass

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    2 Original Album Classics sets for the O'jays and Teddy Pendergrass containing 5 original Philly Albums will be released on april 14, 2014.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Alb...dy+pendergrass
    These have already been available here in the U.S.. One of these days i'm going to pick up the Teddy Pendergrass set, as I had already bought the O'Jays remasters individually back in the 90s. I don't need the albums past 1975.

I don't understand the reason why the one by The O'Jays don't includes "Message In The Music" album [[there's a chronological order in the little sleeves reproduction and from "Family reunion", the next is "Traveling At The Speed of Tought"..., ?)
    BTW, in the track-list info, the title-track of this last album is called "Traveling At The Speed Of Light" [[300.000 Km / s)

In a most general consideration, I don't have many hopes about this new deal with Epic. I think the decisions of Mr. Gamble & Mr. Huff are the important factors to finally put the entire singles collection in a box [[including the ones on subsidiary labels North Bay, TSOP, etc.), the most rare [[jazz and gospel) stuff and the previously unissued stuff [[the famous Dennis Edwards, Ron Tyson albums and many Johnny Williams unissued songs...)

Hey Manny, I haven't seen a post by you in some time. It doesn't mean you aren't around but how are you?

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    In a most general consideration, I don't have many hopes about this new deal with Epic. I think the decisions of Mr. Gamble & Mr. Huff are the important factors to finally put the entire singles collection in a box [[including the ones on subsidiary labels North Bay, TSOP, etc.), the most rare [[jazz and gospel) stuff and the previously unissued stuff [[the famous Dennis Edwards, Ron Tyson albums and many Johnny Williams unissued songs...)
    Gamble & Huff have nothing to do with any of this, nor do they have any say over what the label does. They do not own the music.

Just what is the reason people don't like the deal? All it is, is the transfer of the rights and physical possession to Sony so that all of the tapes are together. And, again, Sony has done a fine job of reissuing their possession of the PIR catalog thus far.

Hi, dear friend and Phillysound lover mr.june!!

I'm fine and visiting SDF every time I can [[but only saying anything when I have something to say). Hope you're fine too. And that Epic-Legacy reissues all the Intruder's stuff you likes!

Hi, Soulster,
    I think that I speak in the name of many Phillysound lovers if I says that many stuff from the first 70's half reissued on CD by Epic-Legacy is the "classic" stuff and the compilations [["Love Train" box and "The History Of Brotherly Love") are always the same classic tracks and we would be treat as well as the Motown lovers. Where are the singles collection? Where are the TSOP two volumes of gospel triennial concerts? Those things are the ones that the real Philly lovers wants, IMHO. The most commercially and known stuff we have had on tape, on vynil, on CD,... and about previously unissued stuff I think the masters belongs to G & H. Or they have sold to Epic-Legacy also?

Cheers!

Hi, dear friend and Phillysound lover mr.june!!

I'm fine and visiting SDF every time I can [[but only saying anything when I have something to say). Hope you're fine too. And that Epic-Legacy reissues all the Intruder's stuff you likes!

Hi, Soulster,
    I think that I speak in the name of many Phillysound lovers if I says that many stuff from the first 70's half reissued on CD by Epic-Legacy is the "classic" stuff and the compilations [["Love Train" box and "The History Of Brotherly Love") are always the same classic tracks and we would be treat as well as the Motown lovers. Where are the singles collection? Where are the TSOP two volumes of gospel triennial concerts? Those things are the ones that the real Philly lovers wants, IMHO. The most commercially and known stuff we have had on tape, on vynil, on CD,... and about previously unissued stuff I think the masters belongs to G & H. Or they have sold to Epic-Legacy also?

Cheers!
    I think it's silly to dictate what the "real" Philly lovers want. It's so exclusive. Perhaps you mean "hardcore" fans.

I am a huge fan of PIR, but I am not a completest. I don't need absolutely everything. Not even with Motown, Stax, or The Beatles.

You still have not made a convincing argument that the acquisition of the post-1975 material by Sony is a bad thing. All you have done is complain that the deep, deep, obscure stuff isn't out.

You also have not taken into consideration that any type of deep comp like a boxed set of singles and rarities takes time. It takes extensive research, tracking down tapes, and going through all of them, not to mention matching them with the 45s to ensure they are correct. Then you have to do the transfers. How many tapes have to be baked? What condition are they in? Let's not even talk about the packaging!

Once you get past all of that, the suits have to OK projects after the potential for sales, and how many units can be sold is all hammered out. Will enough people buy a gospel comp?

If you want unissued stuff, it depends on who owns the rights to the masters. Then you have to get the tapes. Then you have to find out if they are legal to release. Does an artist have a stipulation in their contract that they have some say in it?

Speaking of legal issues: what if there is a songwriting dispute that has never been resolved?

It's not as easy as just saying "Let's put this out because somebody wants it.".
    Last edited by soulster; 03-13-2014 at 04:02 PM.

It seems like you treat me like an "inconscient person", Soulster.

For my job I knows the complex world of edition [[books, labels and packaging for food and wine, and eau de toilette, and...), and YES, there's a lot of work in the projectual and executing process.

But I simply have expressed my opinion [[I said "IMHO) when I said that PIR [[via Epic or via Acme) should put those rare and/or previously unissued stuff and singles collection as also IMHO there's a lot [[i.e. here in Spain) of Philly fans who likes Thad/Jones Mel Lewis album, Cleveland Eaton, Ted Wortham & Co gospel LP and of course all the singles. If in the case of Motown and Stax was possible i think, humbly, with PIR is possibly. It's not easy, nobody have said that, but possibly. I don't sub appreciate the work of nobody. Anyway, to have hopes and dreams is free.

Cheers.

It seems like you treat me like an "inconscient person", Soulster.
    Certainly not! If it looks that way, i'm sorry. That is never my intention!

But I simply have expressed my opinion [[I said "IMHO) when I said that PIR [[via Epic or via Acme) should put those rare and/or previously unissued stuff and singles collection as also IMHO there's a lot [[i.e. here in Spain) of Philly fans who likes Thad/Jones Mel Lewis album, Cleveland Eaton, Ted Wortham & Co gospel LP and of course all the singles. If in the case of Motown and Stax was possible i think, humbly, with PIR is possibly. It's not easy, nobody have said that, but possibly. I don't sub appreciate the work of nobody. Anyway, to have hopes and dreams is free.

Cheers.
    Okey-dokey...

All is cool, Soulster