[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Jan 28, 9P-12M ET: No Snow! More TCMS a GO!

Howdy, you wonderful "Nightflight" Listeners! Once again....apologies for the cancellation of last week's show due to the wild blizzard. Now that the snow is over and done [[for the time being, anyway), "Nightflight" is back on track with The Complete Motown Singles collection! Tonight, we will complete Motown's marvelous year....1966!
    A big thanks to SDF's own Bobby Gardner [[aka rossholloway) for sharing with us 75% of the tracks you will hear during this special presentation...including tonight's tracks! Bobby...thanks for you generosity and love for the Motown!

So join me tonight for the finale of Motown 1966...as we move into another sensational year for Motown....1967!
    All that and more....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans, and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks!! John

John, good to hear that you are no longer part of the Hiber Nation. Look forward to being with you and the gang for the continuing saga of The Motown Singles!

Haaaaaaaaa.....I get it....Hiber....NATION!!! I'm looking forward to the show too, Joseph! It seems that I've been away forever. I also really enjoy wrapping up the years and the anticipation of the next year.....

RossHolloway Guest
    Well it certainly snowed down here in Atlanta...uugh. It took me 3.5 hours to get home when it normally takes me less than 20 minutes. Needless to say I'll be well lubricated throughout the show tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Well it certainly snowed down here in Atlanta...uugh. It took me 3.5 hours to get home when it normally takes me less than 20 minutes. Needless to say I'll be well lubricated throughout the show tonight.
    Yikes!!!! Glad you made it home in one piece. See you later!!

Howdy ya'll! Checking in from SUNNY California tonight! It's nice to have pleasant weather, BUT, we need precipitation BADLY! Almost like ZERO rain this season. Not a good thing.

Tonight's show, though, will be raining MOTOWN! Looking forward to another fine show. Thanks for doing this John...and thanks too to you, Bobby Gardner [[rossholloway), for contributing so much of the music for our listening pleasure on the broadcasts.

Howard in SUNNY Long Beach, CA

Hi John!

Looking forward to spending the evening with you and the gang at Hitsville lost in the sixties. See you shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi John!

Looking forward to spending the evening with you and the gang at Hitsville lost in the sixties. See you shortly!
    Wonderful...I've missed you, 442!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Howdy ya'll! Checking in from SUNNY California tonight! It's nice to have pleasant weather, BUT, we need precipitation BADLY! Almost like ZERO rain this season. Not a good thing.

Tonight's show, though, will be raining MOTOWN! Looking forward to another fine show. Thanks for doing this John...and thanks too to you, Bobby Gardner [[rossholloway), for contributing so much of the music for our listening pleasure on the broadcasts.

Howard in SUNNY Long Beach, CA
    Howard....how nice to see you! Yes.....we have too much snow and you certainly have not enough rain....Mother nature needs to get it RIGHT!

Good evening, John.

We're having too much rain over here rather than snow, so we're more likely to drown instead of freezing to death!

RossHolloway Guest
    I'm multitasking MJ- listening here and to the President's State of the Union address. Great start to the show btw.

I wonder if Richard Street was in the studio during this recording? Did his presence help to energize Cal's vocals? It's something nice to ponder.

"These Things..." was the Velvelettes' only UK chart entry, making #34 nationally when reissued in 1971.

I also wonder, as "These Things....." was a Fuqua -Bristol [[+Moy) composition & production, if it was ever considered for Marvin & Tammi .

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I also wonder, as "These Things....." was a Fuqua -Bristol [[+Moy) composition & production, if it was ever considered for Marvin & Tammi .
    Very interesting thought!!

Is there a Helen & Kay [[Lewis Sisters) demo or version of ''Where Were You" in the vaults?
    I'm sure that you [[Johnny), I and a few others would like to know.

Is there a Helen & Kay [[Lewis Sisters) demo or version of ''Where Were You" in the vaults?
    What vaults?

I'm multitasking too. I'm listening to the fabulous music, and at the same time I'm reading the caption of the speech on the television.

1971 was a great year for Motown reissues in the UK, owing to the popularity of the Northern Soul scene. The Elgins' "Heaven Must Have Sent You" got to #3 nationally, followed by "Put Yourself In My Place" reaching #28.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    What vaults?
    What vaults???? You visited hallowed ground in NY/NJ.... and you ask .....'What Vaults'?

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Love "Stay In My Lonely Arms" by The Elgins [[eljins)
    Watch out, Soph.....pronounced just like the watch

Brenda, "under the auspices of the Women's Ad Club of Detroit" [[according to the notes).
    Was she made an honorary member?

I believe an earlier edition of DFTMC listed an acetate by the Lewis Sisters.

"Everything Is Good About You" written by James Dean, Edward Holland , Jr and produced by Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier

I loved this Barbara McNair 45 and played it a lot. I especailly liked "What A Day" which I always thought was the a-side.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I believe an earlier edition of DFTMC listed an acetate by the Lewis Sisters.
    Thanks for that piece of info....perhaps Keith Hughes may include an unreleased track by the Lewis Sisters on a Motown Girls cd sometime in the future.

Aurora Miller was Ron [[Gould) Miller's 2nd wife , [[she had been his childhood sweetheart).

A great write-up about Ron Miller:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=58731

Loving the extended I'm Ready For Love....

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    This is what appears in the booklet for The Elgins 2-disc Motown Anthology.

Attachment 7941
    Correct ... which means Elgin[[s), just like the watch, the second syllable pronounced just like the alcoholic beverage [[gin)- 'jin' and not the hard 'g' as in begin.

Loving the extended I'm Ready For Love....
    Thank you, Sir!!!

"He Doesn't Love Her Anymore" gets better with every play.

"He Doesn't Love Her Anymore" gets better with every play.
    Truly, Martin...I find that too!

Roz & Betty are superb in the Andante-less background on "He Doesn't Love Her Anymore"- no offense intended toward the resident Mandante.

Love the way you isolated so many of the key elements of the production of YKMHO John and let them sparkle, from the guitar, to the vocal, everything gels perfectly but even individually all these parts are stunning .....

RossHolloway Guest
    The background vocals sound a little more upfront on Mother you, Smother.

Love the way you isolated so many of the key elements of the production of YKMHO John and let them sparkle, from the guitar, to the vocal, everything gels perfectly but even individually all these parts are stunning .....
    Thanks, Glen....they gave me some nice stuff to work with!!

"Mother You, Smother You" was only intended as the b-side. [[Perhaps the fact that the song was to be used in Scott Regan's 'Record A Song With The Supremes' promotion in that same fall might have led to it's being nixed for the b-side.

It is strange that "Remove This Doubt'' from May, 1964 [[track) and Jan, 1965 was chosen as the b-side, considering all of the unreleased possibilities we've heard from the Supremes.

It is strange that "Remove This Doubt'' from May, 1964 [[track) and Jan, 1965 was chosen as the b-side, considering all of the unreleased possibilities we've heard from the Supremes.
    Thanks Carole....didn't know!!!

No clunkers tonight?!?! Does the name Christine Schumacher ring a bell?

For some reason, the edit post function is not working for me... therefore on "Remove This Doubt" the Jan 65 date is the Supremes' vocals.

No clunkers tonight?!?! Does the name Christine Schumacher ring a bell?
    Now be nice....she won a contest!!!

Does anyone else think that Smokey sounds a bit like Mickey Mouse in places on "Come Round Here..."?

Does anyone else think that Smokey sounds a bit like Mickey Mouse in places on "Come Round Here..."?
    I was going to say Minnie...[[*grin)

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Now be nice....she won a contest!!!
    There were 3 finalists chosen by Brian Holland & Scott Regan. Listeners were then given a chance to vote. Not being from Detroit, I wonder if mention was ever made on-air that Christine was blind... or could Motown have, even for a moment, considered pairing her with Stevie Wonder.

RossHolloway Guest
    MJ I agree with you about A Place in The Sun.

Johnny ... Me likes "A Place In The Sun". IMHO, a great song with a great message during the time it was released. It's a song of struggle and hope, yes?

Howard in DRY Long Beach, CA

'A Place In The Sun" was originally intended for R. Dean Taylor. I wonder if he passed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    MJ I agree with you about A Place in The Sun.
    My computer crashed. What did MJ say?