[REMOVE ADS]

Diana isn't here!

I read recently that Diana Ross was a backing singer on Frankie Valli's "Love Isn't Here [[Like It Used To Be)". Truth or rumour?

Don't know, but I would side with rumor. Why would Diana do background sessions in 1975 when she was at the height of her career. In fact, why would she do them at all after the Supremes hit it big in 1964?

If you listen to the song at 2:50, and have a vivid imagination, it could be Diana, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just my opinion. Maybe a member who is an insider has a more knowledgeable answer

It doesn't sound like Diana to me, but the idea isn't all that far-fetched. The Four Seasons were recording for Motown at the time, so it is possible that Diana might have wanted to have a little fun and join in.

I have never head this song, or this rumor. But it does sound like Diana at 2:50.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I have never head this song, or this rumor. But it does sound like Diana at 2:50.
    It does. But I DO have a vivid imagination

It doesn't sound like her to me.

It would be cool if it was, but I don't think it is.

No, I don't think its her. According to the notes from the complete Motown Singles Collection [[it's on disc 67.04) the song is recorded in Los Angeles but details are unknown. The song is released February 29th 1972.

Frankie Valli signed to Motown in October 1971.

Wasn't Diana busy with shooting Lady Sings The Blues at the same time?

As I said in an earlier post, Diana was a super star in the '70's. I doubt she would do background at that point in her career. Why would she? But I do have a vivid imagination. I used to think that Diana was on I Can't Dance by Martha Reeves. And I also thought that the Supremes did back-up on Mary Wells' MY GUY.

People in the know have said that I am wrong.

It's Rita Wright aka Syreeta that's on Martha's 'I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing'.

BTW, I don't Diana at all - anywhere!
    Last edited by copley; 01-24-2014 at 03:46 PM.

I bet it's The Blackberries ...

Mick Jagger was at the top of his game in the 70s but you can hear him on "your so vain"...so why cant it be Diana on this....I don't think it is her... but just saying even tho Diana was a "superstar" would it really stop her doing background...Jagger was a superstar too you know.

Michael Jackson sang background vocals for the Doobie Brothers on "What a fool believes" and "Minute by minute". Also on the Rockwell tune "Somebodies watching me".

Really?...well I never knew about the Doobie Brothers...obviously knew about Rockwell...thanks Skooldem...something else ive learnt.

Don't know if we should embed youtube clips or not. Here is the link to the video of Michael discussing his work with the Doobies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtxUtocFuO0

WOW...thanks again Skooldem...that's why I love this forum so much.

could have been a track originally intended for Ross that she did a demo for, that the vocals were 'almost all' erased from and then recorded over [[as with the Jean Terrell "Time And Love" where Ross can be heard for a hot second on the tape from the original session..)

Jimi. As it was written by Bob Gaudio & Brit Gaudio it doesn't seem likely that Diana would ever have been considered for the song.

I just googled Bob Guadio and Brit Gaudio and it appears that Bob wrote 3 songs on Diana's "Last time I saw him" album. One of those songs was written by Bob and Brit Guadio.

You're right. I have that album but had totally forgotten about that. Thanks.

ha HA!!!.. I LUV being right!!!..and I ALWAYS am.... LOL..the reality is that The Four Seasons and The Supremes were competition to each other, but hardly strangers to each other, doing numerous gigs, tv appearances, going all the way back to "Beach Ball"!..I'm sure the Seasons signing to Motown is something that Ross was quite aware of..
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 01-24-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Mick Jagger was at the top of his game in the 70s but you can hear him on "your so vain"...so why cant it be Diana on this....I don't think it is her... but just saying even tho Diana was a "superstar" would it really stop her doing background...Jagger was a superstar too you know.

Exactly, and let's not forget Elton john on Sedaka's "Bad Blood". you know, Ross fans are the only people i've ever seen that act like singing a background vocal is the equivalent of scrubbing someone's toilet with your own toothbrush. What is it with all the stuck up condescension? Do people think if they act as stuck up as Diana does, then she'll take notice and be your friend, or some bizarre crap?

Dusty Springfield aka Gladys Thong sung back up for Madeline Bell, Kiki Dee, Anne Murray, Elton John etc

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Dusty Springfield aka Gladys Thong sung back up for Madeline Bell, Kiki Dee, Anne Murray, Elton John etc
    Did she really use the name Gladys THONG?? I'd never heard about the alias thing before. That's a RIOT! And let's not forget George Harrison playing lead guitar on Badfinger's records.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Michael Jackson sang background vocals for the Doobie Brothers on "What a fool believes" and "Minute by minute". Also on the Rockwell tune "Somebodies watching me".
    I know about Rockwell but I doubt he really sang on the Doobies tracks. It's hard to decipher him from Michael McDonald unless he was using his deeper voice to disguise himself...

According to Patrick Simmons of the Doobie Brothers, the band never recorded with Michael Jackson. They were friends with Michael, who came on stage and sang with them at some of their concerts. Michael may have sang "What a Fool Believes" and "Minute by Minute" with the Doobie Brothers on those occasions, but not on their records.

Google "Patrick Simmons on the Doobie Brothers and Michael Jackson" to hear his comments.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 01-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Did she really use the name Gladys THONG?? I'd never heard about the alias thing before. That's a RIOT! And let's not forget George Harrison playing lead guitar on Badfinger's records.
    Yes Jill she really did - lol!

It doesn't sound like Miss Ross to me, though there is a certain similarity.

This being a Motown forum I'm surprised no-one has mentioned STEVIE WONDER amongst the big names who still appeared on other acts' recordings. He must have appeared on hundreds!!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Exactly, and let's not forget Elton john on Sedaka's "Bad Blood". you know, Ross fans are the only people i've ever seen that act like singing a background vocal is the equivalent of scrubbing someone's toilet with your own toothbrush. What is it with all the stuck up condescension? Do people think if they act as stuck up as Diana does, then she'll take notice and be your friend, or some bizarre crap?
    She could be on that record.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-25-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    According to Patrick Simmons of the Doobie Brothers, the band never recorded with Michael Jackson. They were friends with Michael, who came on stage and sang with them at some of their concerts. Michael may have sang "What a Fool Believes" and "Minute by Minute" with the Doobie Brothers on those occasions, but not on their records.

Google "Patrick Simmons on the Doobie Brothers and Michael Jackson" to hear his comments.
    Thank you. Michael Jackson was outright lying when he said he sang background on the records [[that's what he was suggesting anyway). That said, I doubt MJ was onstage with the Doobies either. I'm sure Michael McDonald or someone would've posted a picture of MJ singing with them. MJ was a world famous entertainer and one of the most photographed. You mean to tell me that there's no photo yet of MJ and the Doobies onstage? Straight up lie on MJ's part.

Here is Diana Ross singing back up with the Four Tops, in 1990.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FObg9Wu_EM

That was fun to watch. Diana looked like she was really enjoying herself.

he sang on stage with them. but not on the record.