[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Jan 14, 9P-12M ET:The Complete Motown Singles...1966 continues!!

Attachment 7938
    Howdy there, Nightflight listeners!!! Tonight, in my plan to play every Motown 45 rpm ever recorded, we continue, chronologically, with the Motown golden year...1966! So many Motown songs, artists, musicians, writers, producers, arrangers....and SO LITTLE TIME!
    And we thank SDF's Bobby Gardner [[aka rossholloway) for making it possible to spotlight Universal's Complete Motown Singles Collection by sharing 75% of the tracks you will hear during this many months-long presentation. Bobby...thanks so much! You're a GEM!
    So do join me tonight for all this Motown stuff...and more....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks so much!!
    John
    Attachment 7937
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 01-14-2014 at 06:50 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Can't wait for another good show MJ!

Glad you'll be here, Pardner!!

Looking forward to the continuing saga of The Complete MoTown Singles. "Oh Auntie Em, there's no place like MoTown".

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Looking forward to the continuing saga of The Complete MoTown Singles. "Oh Auntie Em, there's no place like MoTown".
    Looking forward to seeing you, Dot!!

...in the studio....man is it wet!!!!!! Raining like a dog...ALL day!!!!

Evening John & The Gang!

Settled in with my 1966 box to follow along and a nice glass of Red Wine. Let the festivities begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Evening John & The Gang!

Settled in with my 1966 box to follow along and a nice glass of Red Wine. Let the festivities begin!
    Welcome back, Mr Wood!!! I missed you! ...and I have my peppermint cocoa....I can't drink wine and drive the show.......

Do I Love Your show Indeed I Do. Evening John

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Do I Love Your show Indeed I Do. Evening John
    Always a great pleasure, Martin!!!!!

Chris Clark may have been unsung in many ways but Berry [[allegedly) went out of his way to make sure she wasn't unloved at least.....

He's All I Got, one of Diana Ross and the Supremes best b-sides! A very girl group song

Chris Clark may have been unsung in many ways but Berry [[allegedly) went out of his way to make sure she wasn't unloved at least.....
    You always say what I can't because the FCC will come pick up my ass!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    He's All I Got, one of Diana Ross and the Supremes best b-sides! A very girl group song
    Yes....one of my favorites...not like those other oooooshie Supremes B sides like He Holds His Own......yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk [[*grin)

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    You always say what I can't because the FCC will come pick up my ass!
    Which is why you don't let me near an open microphone once I have a glass or two of lie detector aka wine hehe

Which is why you don't let me near an open microphone once I have a glass or two of lie detector aka wine hehe
    I'd PAY to do that....come join me on the show, Glennnnnnnn....

Great show John! Been listening while doing other online business. Motown sure was busy during 1966 molding their classic sound. Such full, tight, well-produced tunes galore!! I too remember playing the H*ll out of my 45s, but I did pay attention to the B-sides too. And, after playing certain singles that they were so worn, I had to go and buy another copy so I could continue to play 'em again and again! Memories....

Howard in Long Beach, CA

"Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" got to #21 in the UK national charts. It was extremely popular in London.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Great show John! Been listening while doing other online business. Motown sure was busy during 1966 molding their classic sound. Such full, tight, well-produced tunes galore!! I too remember playing the H*ll out of my 45s, but I did pay attention to the B-sides too. And, after playing certain singles that they were so worn, I had to go and buy another copy so I could continue to play 'em again and again! Memories....

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard....glad that you appeared!!!! Thank you muchly!!

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On...yeah! Smokey and the Miracles took this to another height of soul, yes?

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On...yeah! Smokey and the Miracles took this to another height of soul, yes?
    It's like the Miracles' "Love Is Like an Itching In My Heart"

Love this Smokey & The Miracles single, it's better than a lot of the cuts that went top 40 for them. Same goes for the Four Tops single from a few minutes ago....

Between all the Shakin' and Itchin ' going on for Smokey and Diane in 1966, I hope they got a group discount rate down at the Doctors office.....

Is that the Mynah Birds or the Byrds that you'll be watching? How silly of me, since this is the heart and soul of Motown......

Between all the Shakin' and Itchin ' going on for Smokey and Diane in 1966, I hope they got a group discount rate down at the Doctors office.....
    It was truly just a sex factory there....mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

Always love me some Jimmy soul!

Yes...it was The Originals backing Jimmy on WBOTBH. I wasn't listening to you as closely as I ought, John...

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Is that the Mynah Birds or the Byrds that you'll be watching? How silly of me, since this is the heart and soul of Motown......

Carole...Howdy there!!!!

Rick [[male), Robin [[Female) and Hymn [[?)

Yes...it was The Originals backing Jimmy on WBOTBH. I wasn't listening to you as closely as I ought, John...

Now, Howard...see what happens when you don't listen carefully? I make mistakes!!

Just kidding around...I know it's "Him"

Him [[a him)

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Him [[a him)
    ................Got it!!

Always love me some Jimmy soul!
    Isn't he the one who sang "If You Wanna Be Happy"

Him must be Jesus or Berry Gordy because Rick and Robin were Richard Witte and Sally Furman. The session lots only list the pair on these tracks. Cause You Know Me was the last minute change in B Sides but the lacquers were originally ordered with Copper Kettle as the flip...

I guess not everything that came out of MoTown in 1966 was great. I agree, what was Berry thinking?

Rick, Robin and Him - Never heard of them until recent years. They were unknown to me back in the 60s. Was that true of others on this board, or did their material actually get some radio air play? Just curious...

Great Gladys Knight y El Pips song.

My understanding is that Gladys & The Pips's "Just Walk In My Shoes" made a bigger impression in Great Britain than the US. But, then again, that may have occured long after its initial US release. I only learned of this 45 after their 2nd US release on Soul, "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me." Once I found it, I had to, of course, add it to my "collection."

A question that I should have asked last week- and addressed to anyone who is following along with Vol. 6......
    On pg. 43 there is a picture of Diana, Mary & Flo with Supremes' album covers on the corkboard/wall behind them. The covers are 'Meet the Supremes', 'Where Did our Love Go', "We Remember Sam Cooke,' More Hits By the Supremes', a small portion of the 'I Hear A Symphony' [[based on using the position and style of letters as opposed to the "There's A Place For Us') album cover and???? [[a small glimpse of a proposed but unreleased album cover). Does anyone know which album ? 'Pure Gold' ?'The Supremes and the Motown Sound From Broadway To Hollywood' ?

Just tuned in for the last hour...

RossHolloway Guest
    wow, that sounds like the voices were sped up.

Considering that the song , originally assigned to Ivy Jo Hunter, subsequently intended for the Spinners, then given to Jimmy after his pleading for the song after he heard it being worked on for the Spinners at Hitsville by its composers, it only seemed logical to not ask the Spinners to sing backgrounds to a song that was going to be theirs.
    13 mixes of the song...hmmh......

A question that I should have asked last week- and addressed to anyone who is following along with Vol. 6......
    On pg. 43 there is a picture of Diana, Mary & Flo with Supremes' album covers on the corkboard/wall behind them. The covers are 'Meet the Supremes', 'Where Did our Love Go', "We Remember Sam Cooke,' More Hits By the Supremes', a small portion of the 'I Hear A Symphony' [[based on using the position and style of letters as opposed to the "There's A Place For Us') album cover and???? [[a small glimpse of a proposed but unreleased album cover). Does anyone know which album ? 'Pure Gold' ?'The Supremes and the Motown Sound From Broadway To Hollywood' ?
    Carole, from the size and shape, don't you think it's a single? Obviously not a pic sleeve we're familiar with; maybe a foreign issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Carole, from the size and shape, don't you think it's a single? Obviously not a pic sleeve we're familiar with; maybe a foreign issue?
    Look between Mary & Flo- the cover continues... Motown pictures sleeves weren't as large as album covers... that's an album cover [[and likely an unreleased one, at that)

Look between Mary & Flo- the cover continues... Motown pictures sleeves weren't as large as album covers... that's an album cover [[and likely an unreleased one, at that)
    The only fragment I see is between Mary and Flo's hair. Does it show anywhere else in the background? To me, the lettering looks too big and the sleeve doesn't look as big as the album sleeves pictured. The lettering of the last few letters in "Supremes" just seems too big for an album design. I'd love to know though!

Wow...we're moving on near the end of disc 30 for 1966. Great cuts; really bring back memories of "discovering" these 45s and snatching them up like pancakes as fast as I could earn the $$$ to get them.

Chris's "Love's Gone Bad" was the release that made her known to me. At the time I didn't know of her earlier material on V.I.P.

Him must be Jesus or Berry Gordy because Rick and Robin were Richard Witte and Sally Furman. The session lots only list the pair on these tracks. Cause You Know Me was the last minute change in B Sides but the lacquers were originally ordered with Copper Kettle as the flip...
    The write-up mentions that session logs list the group name as 'Rick and Robin'.
    One could almost picture a crafty employee sneaking into an office and changing the card that was sent to the pressing plant. Perhaps someone who personally disliked the duo or Mickey Stevenson wanted to imply that because the record would never steal they were robbing him /Berry.

Melanie [[Safka) recorded a medley of "Mama Said" and "You Can't Hurry Love". The songs work well together.