[REMOVE ADS]

This bit of info left me speechless!

http://massappeal.com/no-black-artis...chart-in-2013/

Not to mention some of the comments below!

This came up in another thread a couple of weeks ago. It's just a sign of the times. And I've learned not to read the comments at the bottom of popular sites. There's usually a bunch of hate and nastiness that pisses me off, so there's no need to have the blood pressure rise.

I participated in the last thread about this, but I do have to say: why is it such a big deal that there were no Blacks on the top of the charts in 2013? So what? What is it supposed to mean? And, is Nile Rodgers co-writing and playing on Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" not good enough? What about Pharrell Williams singing on it? Is it not enough that both Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake also had top hits doing Black music?

I tried to do a count of all the Black people who hit #1 Billboard chart hits since 1959, but once I got to 100 by early 1976, I felt it was pointless, because there were many, and it did not even matter in the scheme of things. Out of all the #1 hits of each year up to 1993, where my reference book stops, there were nine by Blacks, if you include the bi-racial Mariah Carey, and the interracial group Tony Orlando & Dawn. And, two were by Roberta Flack in 1972 and 1973! That number of #1 records of the year is undoubtedly higher since 1993.

One thing to note is that Michael Jackson, despite his monster hits in the 80s, was beat out by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and The Police for the years 1982 and 1982.

Sorry, but this being outraged about this is silly.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-11-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typos

I'm not sure if there is an outrage because there's nobody to be mad at. Who's at fault if there's a problem? Are "black" artists not making "black" music well enough to sell? Or are white people, always a enormous component to the success of any song/album, simply no longer interested in music by Black musicians? I cannot believe that to be the case. If anything, music is becoming too similar and the lack of distinction doesn't bode well for Black musicians in a pop world. Maybe if someone actually picked up a bass or employed a horn section, there'd be something different that rise up. But with the samples, computers, and modern production techniques, it doesn't matter what color the artist is. The music is pale [[not referring to the color of someone's skin, but the lack of any ability to stand out).

A few years ago when "Dreamgirls" came out, and when artists such as Amy Winehouse came on the scene [[loosely followed by Adele, and even more loosely by Duffy), "black" music saw a surge in popularity. And then after a few years, it started losing momentum. Personally, I just think it has to do with what styles are popular, what new artists are coming out, and what artists are putting out music that fits the popular mold. Alternative and alt-folk groups, as well as mainstream pop of course, seem to be really popular right now, and there are black musicians who are popular, but I think it's like Jerry said - there's a blur between "white" and "black" music. Hip-hop and R&B are fusing with genres like pop, club, etc. I don't know, just a guess...

And, what i'm asking is that does it really matter if the artist doing the "Black" music is Black? Are "Get Lucky" and "Blurred Lines" not R&B music?

Lookit! Black music has always been popular in America. It may not have always been done by Black people, but since the beginning of it, Blacks have been recognized as the creators of it, and since 1959, Blacks have gotten the big hits with it. And, don't you guys remember how big Motown was in the 60s or the dance music craze of the 70s? Or hip-hop in the 90s and beyond?

being upset that there were no #1 hits by Blacks in 2013 is silly, unless you mean that there was no old-style R&B. And, again, what were those biggies from last summer? "Get Lucky"? 'Blurred Lines"?

The race of the artist and/or buying public is a non issue.

As Jerry Oz said, it is the quality that I find lacking.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post

As Jerry Oz said, it is the quality that I find lacking.

edafan
    Well, I disagree with both of you.

That's cool to do. It's all just our opinions, amigo.