[REMOVE ADS]

George Alexander label 45 release by The Supremes

In June of 1965, a release was made by the Supremes The Only Time I'm Happy b/w Supremes Interview. The Complete Motown Singles volume states that Motown leased The Only Time to the New York based George Alexander label for use as a promotional single to be used in a special giveaway program. The odd thing about this release is that it carries a Motown series number, number 1079 which rumor has it that this number was allocated to a Little Lisa single, although there is no internal documentation to support this rumor.

Does anyone know anything about the George Alexander label out of New York? I had read somewhere that it was affiliated with RCA Victor, but that was only one claim. The Heat Wave book by David Bianco states that this number was unissued - a special promotional released on the George Alexander label out of New York.

It is of interest to all that there is a copy being auctioned off on eBay by People's Records of Detroit. It has a starting bid of $5.99 and there is currently one bid on it.

Does anyone know anything about the George Alexander label? I never heard of it nor do I know of any other releases on this label. Thanks.

We discussed this over on Motown Junkies when it came up in the discography. In brief, my theory is that this was a made-up label created by Motown themselves for promotional reasons:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2013/02/28/588/

The M 1079 / Little Lisa rumour can surely be safely discounted.
    Last edited by radionixon; 01-08-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    We discussed this over on Motown Junkies when it came up in the discography. In brief, my theory is that this was a made-up label created by Motown themselves for promotional reasons:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2013/02/28/588/

The M 1079 / Little Lisa rumour can surely be safely discounted.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  21.1 KB
    Nixon is right. Motown reserved Motown 1079 for this release, which was, essentially, Motown's own label, just used for this release. I was around at the time and never saw nor heard ANY reference to Little Lisa having a release slated for Motown 1079.