[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Blossoms: one face with a hundred names

Ok, so it is well-known that Phil Spector released his music with one artist under multiple names [[Blossoms became the Crystals, the Ronettes became the Crystals, etc.). But what I'm finding is that the Blossoms have had many other names throughout, at the very least, the 1950's-1960's.

First, they were the Echoes, briefly, in the late fifties, but then they became the Blossoms before switching to Philles. They recorded as Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, the Blossoms, and the Crystals. But I recently found two rather obscure recordings. One is a 1963 recording [[at Gold Star, but released via Liberty Records), and the other one from 1968, I think.

The 1963 one is of "Climb Every Mountain," and it clearly has the classic Spector production all over it, even though it was released under Liberty - not Philles. Under this name, the record was released [[?) as the Victorians. There were a few other tunes recorded by "the Victorians" - "Happy Birthday, Blue," "If I Loved You," etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpM1MdS0gMQ

The other recording is "He's a Rebel" from 1968 under the name Moose and the Pelicans [[they did "We Rockin'"). From what I read, it's that band featuring Darlene and the Blossoms on vocals. Despite the iffy sound quality, it's probably Darlene's finest vocal on this number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7pJ0OXo9R4

The Blossoms, under that name, did a bunch of work with Bill Medley and released one album in 1972, but I'm wondering what other work they released under additional names. They were really one of the most phenomenal groups of the sixties, but their work is scattered under so many names, it's hard to keep track of it all!
    Last edited by antceleb12; 01-05-2014 at 05:49 PM.