Almost no one outside this forum in any country knows who Mary Wilson is. The girl at The Riviera who sold me my ticket told me "she was one of The Shirrells - but not the famous one." LOL The Supremes were an old 60's act in the 80's - just like The Vandellas, etc - only more respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
Actually those are my words:*[[We were talking about 1983, Turner's comeback and Wilson's hypothetical comeback thanks to "Holiday".)

"That is your point of view from the country you live in.
In mine, where the Motown sound is just "pop of the 60's", nobody knew who the Supremes were [[and that has not changed). In 1982-1984 everybody knew who Diana Ross was because "Upside Down" and "Muscles" had been huge hits and she was a kind of godmother for Michael Jackson.

But Mary Wilson? The only Wilson people knew was Mari with her beehive.

It may be hard for you to believe it but the Supremes were not a legendary group in the 80's in many non-English speaking countries."

and

"And I can assure you that in the early 80's few people remembered the Supremes outside the US and the UK [[and when it was the case it was always the 60's group). And I don't talk about China, Angola, Saudi Arabia or Paraguay... Some compilations like 1977's "20 Golden Greats" were huge hits in the UK [[#1) but not elsewhere. The interest in the Supremes was at its lowest point then.Things changed with the release of "25th Anniversary" in 1986 and "The Never-Before-Released Masters" in 1987. "

Now if you don't want to understand it, I am not going to waste my time with stubborn women like you.