[REMOVE ADS]

if there was a third single from the Right On Album what would it have been.

If there was a third single from the Suprmes Right On album the Supremes would have been on a positive track way before Stoned Love would have been reached. It is no secret that there were several worthy singles from that album that should have followed Up The Ladder to the Roof, however Everybody's Go the Right to Love got the nod and it only peaked outsid the top 20 at #21. A third single would if it was the right one would have probably made the top ten, and my two best choices for the pop market would have been "Wait A Minute Before you leave me" and placed on the album in as the third cut, and "I Got Hurt Trying to be the only Girl in your Life" that track is off the chart Jean is explosive, though other might disagree both songs have hit written all over but the latter would have done better on the r7b chart for sure. with this said the next album "New Ways but love stays probably would have not been released until 1971 and "Stoned Love" may ahve went higher on the chart especially if New Ways Title was ditched for "Stoned Love.

how low did stoned love chart? i remember it was a huge dance hit at every bar in my city. HUGE! who could not love that song?

While "Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me" and "I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be The Only Girl In Your Life)" were great tunes, they were produced by Al Kent and Clay McMurray, not Frank Wilson. In addition they were performed by Jean Terrell and [[probably) the Andantes, not Mary and Cindy. I think this would have hindered either tune's release as a single. Much had been made about the "New Supremes" and, perhaps, Motown wanted to release singles by the actual "New Supremes."
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    how low did stoned love chart? i remember it was a huge dance hit at every bar in my city. HUGE! who could not love that song?
    "Stoned Love" made it to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #5 on Cashbox. It should have gone to the top, IMO.

For a third single, I would have gone with WAIT A MINUTE BEFORE YOU LEAVE ME or TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT ME.

Interesting question.

I'd have gone with Wait A Minute......... but would it have done any better than Everbody's Got The Right To Love?

Right On was a very good album with tracks of a high standard but just as Ladder was undoubtedly the cream track I also thought that Everybody was the second best one and for me should have done better in the charts.

Sometimes you would think Billboard had it in for The Supremes! - the prime example of course being Forever Came Today which made #28 but which was #13 in Cashbox and #15 in Record World.

Everybody was #13 on Record World and while not a big difference Stoned Love was top 5.

Almost every single from everyone charted higher on cash box and record world. Wait a minute was a lot stronger than EGTRTL but maybe Motown actually wanted the Supremes instead of the Andantes; although I can't imagine they cared at all.

My favorite two songs besides the first two singles are:
    Then We Can Try Again [[I played it over and over).
    Take A Closer Look At Me [[As the B-side for a double hit).
    Anyway, it is a great album.

this was a really good album but even then as I played some tracks from the lp I didn't think all of them were the supremes , unfortunately. I personally would have went with LIFE BEATS which was originally planned as the first new single but then changed to Ladder....and then left off the album altogether. think the Supremes sound great on this song and I would have released it as a single. many of the other songs that have been mentioned are good but they didn't sound like the Supremes to me, like Foever Came Today didn't sound like the supremes to me as well. I did like the ballads on side one such as YOU MOVE ME, BUT ILOVE YOU MORE

I think Stoned Love making #7 is really good. it was a million seller. to bad it didn't have a follow up to help the album. TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC, was a good contender

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think Stoned Love making #7 is really good. it was a million seller. to bad it didn't have a follow up to help the album. TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC, was a good contender
    Or IT'S TIME TO BREAK DOWN

Funny I was talking to a fan about this years ago and we asked the same question and be both agreed. Just Take a Closer Look should be the next single and then But I Love you More. I agree with everyone this is a Jean stellar vocal album.

i think Everybody should have remained an album track and the follow up to Ladder should have been a single edit of Loving Country. it continues with the ethereal sound, heavy strings, peace/love/harmony

The third single from the Right On LP should have been "Then We Can Try Again," "Take A Closer Look At Me," or "Wait One Minute Before You Leave Me." All three had hit potential.

I always felt "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" should have been the second single from New Ways. It's a shame Motown ignored it. "It's Time To Break Down" was another song Motown foolishly passed up as a single.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.

supremester Guest
    From Right On:
    Wait A Minute
    or, runner-up
    Then We Can Try Again

Both would have helped solidify the new sound and although I prefer "Ladder" it was appealing to a niche market. The bombast of Try Again Or Wait A Minute, would have had somewhat stronger appeal. I think both would have gone top ten ad charted higher than "ladder." I don't think Motown gave a hoot about the personnel on the 45's. No one was even talking about bg personnel back then, certainly there were many different sounds - even n Right On! but no one cared. The A's are on Up The Ladder anyway. My single choices wooda been:
    Ladder
    Wait A Minute - and if that hit,
    Then We Can Try Again.

I don' believe in wasting hit singles. Motown needed all they could get -esp my girls [[at the time) JMC & Miss Ross.

Stoned Love follow up could only have been Its Tie To Break Down- and it was iffy - a chance I wouldn't have taken with Nathan Jones and a strong follow up in the can. With no strong follow up to Nathan, I would have sent out It's Time To Break Down. I on't think Together We Can Make Such sweet Music would have gone top 30 plus it was the wrong message to get out there for the new group. Too namby pamby and less radio friendly than even The Young Folks.

supremester Guest
    Remember that Billboard used radio play as a much bigger part of it's chart performance data than the other two. That is why, believe, Love Child, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me and reflections all suffered in the #2 spot: Billie Joe & Grapevine were played endlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Interesting question.

I'd have gone with Wait A Minute......... but would it have done any better than Everbody's Got The Right To Love?

Right On was a very good album with tracks of a high standard but just as Ladder was undoubtedly the cream track I also thought that Everybody was the second best one and for me should have done better in the charts.

Sometimes you would think Billboard had it in for The Supremes! - the prime example of course being Forever Came Today which made #28 but which was #13 in Cashbox and #15 in Record World.

Everybody was #13 on Record World and while not a big difference Stoned Love was top 5.

Actually, I thought "Everybody" did not belong on this album. I was surprise it was released as a single. "Up The Ladder" was a good choice as a first single. "Right On" was good with just that one single. When I first hear " Everybody ", I though dang how country.

In Detroit, it was like there was a third single pulled from the album, "Bill, When Are You Coming Back?" was played with some regularity on local stations at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Remember that Billboard used radio play as a much bigger part of it's chart performance data than the other two. That is why, believe, Love Child, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me and reflections all suffered in the #2 spot: Billie Joe & Grapevine were played endlessly.
    Actually, between 1968-1973 the Top 50 of Billboards Hot 100 was strictly weighed by sales. Record World and Cashbox still combined the two. Hence why certain Ross solo period singles as well as New Supremes hits had higher peaks outside Billboard during that timeframe. It was the switch back in 73 to weighing both on the entire chart that finally got Bad Weather onto the listings. There is a cover story about the switch available to read on Google Books magazine section for Billboard. Just look under the 1965-69 tab....

in a fan club newsleter, it was said that HERE COMES THE SUNRISE was going to be the follow up to Nathan Jones. one of my favorite tracks from Touch album

I think Ladder should have been the only single from Right On, especially since they were recording for the New Ways album.

Everybody was a weak follow-up. If Bill had not been the flip to Ladder I thought that would have been the most logical choice as a second single. My other choices as singles would have been Closer Look or Wait A Minute. Although one of my favorite Motown albums, I don't feel Right On had any hit singles other than Ladder.

However the best choice of second single would have been Together from New Ways. Everybody was released in July 1970 and Together had been recorded in May 1970. Releasing Together would have paved the way for the New Ways album and the Stoned Love single. It would have worked better as a single than Everybody which is a nice album cut, but overall forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    "Stoned Love" made it to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #5 on Cashbox. It should have gone to the top, IMO.
    It also went to #1 on Billboards Soul Charts the week of Christmas 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Actually, I thought "Everybody" did not belong on this album. I was surprise it was released as a single. "Up The Ladder" was a good choice as a first single. "Right On" was good with just that one single. When I first hear " Everybody ", I though dang how country.
    It does have a C&W feel to it, much like the song it always reminds me of "Everybody Loves Somebody [[Sometime)" by Dean Martin. I love the song "Everybody" but it was probably too lounge-y for the Sups at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    While "Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me" and "I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be The Only Girl In Your Life)" were great tunes, they were produced by Al Kent and Clay McMurray, not Frank Wilson. In addition they were performed by Jean Terrell and [[probably) the Andantes, not Mary and Cindy. I think this would have hindered either tune's release as a single. Much had been made about the "New Supremes" and, perhaps, Motown wanted to release singles by the actual "New Supremes."
    Just a thought.
    It would have been just as easy to edit in the Supremes on the three tracks that were potential hits TWCTA, WAMBUL, TACLAM. After alll The Supremes often sang the backgroud partst to Andante studio tracks on tv with no problem at all listen to I'm livin in Shame on Hollywood Palace for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Actually, between 1968-1973 the Top 50 of Billboards Hot 100 was strictly weighed by sales. Record World and Cashbox still combined the two. Hence why certain Ross solo period singles as well as New Supremes hits had higher peaks outside Billboard during that timeframe. It was the switch back in 73 to weighing both on the entire chart that finally got Bad Weather onto the listings. There is a cover story about the switch available to read on Google Books magazine section for Billboard. Just look under the 1965-69 tab....
    I can't speak for Billboard or Record World but certainly the Cashbox top 100 during the 60s and 70s was based solely on sales. It was only towards the end of the 70s that they started incorporating airplay data as a factor.

Because Record World and Cashbox more often agreed on Diana/Supremes' peaks I thought perhaps RW was based on sales only but that would be pure conjecture.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    in a fan club newsleter, it was said that HERE COMES THE SUNRISE was going to be the follow up to Nathan Jones. one of my favorite tracks from Touch album
    I always felt that should have been the case. I heard "Touch" on the radio once and it was already DOA. It was ok for an album track but "Here Comes The Sunrise" had the same feel, to me, as Michael's "Got To Be There". They would have been released in the same time frame. Does anyone know who made the decisions for single releases? There were times they just got it wrong. Same for "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music". What a waste. "Nathan Jones" was and still is a killer track.

Loving Country sounds like a single to me. EGTRTL so weak as a follow up, it certainly makes one wonder if some of the Motown book writers were right per how would it look if the Supremes outshone Diana.

Here is a recent article relating to this subject:

We Can See Heaven Much Better: The Supremes Without Diana

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/we-c...-without-diana

i always thought EVERYBODY was a good album cut but that's it. it didn't have the Motown feel to me like the other singles. I still would have stuck ih LOVIN COUNRY or LIFEBEATS.
    TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC was a good choice for follow up t STONED.
    SHINE ON ME was a good track. IT'S TIME TO BREAK DOWN is a fav of mine.

You Move Me

Jean sings like an angel on it.

Thanks for the link marv... JMC work with Frank Wilson is my fav material of this grouping. Jean is one great singer. I liked how Frank took the girls to the into a slight rock format- it worked well on songs such as Nathan Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for the link marv... JMC work with Frank Wilson is my fav material of this grouping. Jean is one great singer. I liked how Frank took the girls to the into a slight rock format- it worked well on songs such as Nathan Jones.

IIRC the phasing on "Nathan Jones" came about after Russ Terrana demonstrated the technique to Frank Wilson. Russ had another track in mind for phasing but demoed the effect using Nathan Jones. The rest is history.

I might have got this from one of Ralph and Russ' Youtube visits.