[REMOVE ADS]

Question about "Here Comes The Judge"

Who is the voice of the "judge" on this great tune? Shorty Long? One of The Originals? Someone else?

I think it is Sammy Davis, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think it is Sammy Davis, Jr.
    You're absolutely right and thank you, reese. I just dug out my copy of Terry Wilson's book "Tamla Motown." He states that Sammy Davis, Jr. "...was invited to the session to supply the intermittently heard voice of the judge..."

By the way, here's an excellent, extended version created by our friend "mosogotam:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9vuOYIVPs

Reese

I thought it was only Sammy Davis on the "Hear yea Hear yea...." but the sentencing judge [[much later) is the late Pervis Jackson of the Spinners.

SDF has discussed this many times over the years and it will should be in the old archives.

mowest....thanks so much for the plug! I appreciate it!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Reese

I thought it was only Sammy Davis on the "Hear yea Hear yea...." but the sentencing judge [[much later) is the late Pervis Jackson of the Spinners.

SDF has discussed this many times over the years and it will should be in the old archives.
    Actually, I was only referring to the "Hear yea. Here yea." portion. I'm not familiar with the record, so I had no idea that the judge also appears in other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    mowest....thanks so much for the plug! I appreciate it!
    John
    You're more than welcome, John. You are a master at what you do with Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Reese

Makes sense, xtown, because the voice at the beginning of the recording sounds nothing like the "sentencing judge." Guess I'll try and check the archives for the answer unless one of our other "Motown mavens" would like to comment.

From the archives [[July, 2007) and Keith Hughes: "Our research for TCMS indicated it was Sammy on the intro, and Pervis in the main part of the song.

Here it is :

Makes sense because on the Laugh - In TV show from which the bit was done for a few weeks, I believe Mr. Davis was the person who played the Judge during the bit.

Hi!

Bobbie Smith: "I know Pervis did Shorty Long's 'Here Comes the Judge' - that was Pervis doing the judge part. That's how Shorty Long got the idea to do that song, because we had a thing in our act, where we would imitate Pigmeat Markham."
    [[Soul Express: The Spinners Story, part 2)

Best regards
    Heikki

I thought the best record of Here Comes The Judge was the one by Pigmeat Markham on Chess Records.