[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Stephanie Mills

Stephanie Mills

I know Stephanie got into acting & singing from an early age and she even won Amateur Night at the Apollo back in 1968 [[when only 11 years old).
    After that she went into musicals but wasn't signed to an actual record deal until around 1974 [[when she would have been 17 years old).
    It was Michael Barbiero, an A&R man and producer for Paramount Records, who first signed her to a recording contract.
    Anyone know why it took so long for a record company to sign her up [[or were they all just waiting till she was old enough to legally sign a contract herself ?).
    Attachment 1730

BTW, by the time Paramount were recording tracks that would form Stephanie's first album release [[this was of course to include the above 45 track), the label's owners [[Gulf & Western) had lost interest in this side of their operations. So they sold Paramount Records to ABC.
    So, when Stephanie's LP [['Moving In The Right Direction') appeared, it was actually on the ABC label.
    I guess that made this LP the very last 'ABC-Paramount' release, that label name having been dropped by ABC many years earlier.

topdiva1 Guest
    Stephanie Mills is a great performer and I understand a wonderful person.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    BTW, by the time Paramount were recording tracks that would form Stephanie's first album release [[this was of course to include the above 45 track), the label's owners [[Gulf & Western) had lost interest in this side of their operations. So they sold Paramount Records to ABC.
    So, when Stephanie's LP [['Moving In The Right Direction') appeared, it was actually on the ABC label.
    I guess that made this LP the very last 'ABC-Paramount' release, that label name having been dropped by ABC many years earlier.
    Stephanie's a friend. As I recall, she was involved with The Wiz quite early, maybe while her album was being put together. I remember her appearing on the Mike Douglas Show before The Wiz was on Broadway. she was promoting Moving In the Right Direction. She had to have been 15 or 16 years old at the time. She mentioned that she would be doing The Wiz.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 11-01-2010 at 01:19 AM.

that voice on Never Knew Love Like This..she sounds so joyous and warm,Brilliant back-and-forth with backing singers at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Stephanie's a friend. As I recall, she was involved with The Wiz quite early, maybe while her album was being put together. I remember her appearing on the Mike Douglas Show before The Wiz was on Broadway. she was promoting Moving In the Right Direction. She had to have been 15 or 16 years old at the time. She mentioned that she would be doing The Wiz.
    I remember that appearance as well. I think she sang DANNY BOY.

The Wiz stage show opened in Baltimore on 21st October 1974 ......
    ..... .... with Stephanie Mills playing Dorothy ........
    Attachment 1755

I thought it was so sad that Motown bought the movie rights to The Wiz, and had Ms Ross Star instead of Stephanie. It might have been succesful. Well, it did virtually destroy Diana"s acting career as far as Hollywood was concerned. Motown did sign Stephanie to a contract, of course, when they bought the rights. Then subsequently almost destroyed her recording career by having her record a Bacharach / David reunion album [[not made in heaven), that was not promoted, and indeed far to adult for such a young singer. They even called it For The First Time, when it was her second album. Bit like when they called Cuba Goodings first Motown album, The First Cuba Gooding album, when it was not. IDIOTS. Also, loved the way Motowns marketing dept, dubbed both of Bonnie Pointers albums Bonnie Pointer. DOUBLE IDIOTS. Anyway, at least Stephanie went on to have quite a GREAT solo career. And for that, I am one happy fan....Paulo XXX

At her most popular she tried to not allow any other "workers" when she was walking in the backstage at the venue. Needless to say the woman I worked for laughed and said "Just let her try"..." but it never came a to clash that night [[thank the lord)