[REMOVE ADS]

Anyone here who appreciates Della Reese?

I recently bought the Della Reese CD : 'Jubilee Years/ Singles 1954-1959'.

While I've always appreciated Della's voice I've never, until now, bought any of her recordings.

The magic in that voice and music is inescapable. It is constantly playing in my head.

Does anyone here, who may also appreciate Della, have any recommendations from her other recordings/albums?

Love, love her especially her spirit. She tells of her near death experienhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tsEUFbkCYce.

Nosey, while the link doesn't seem to work for me, I thank you for it, and will check it out on YouTube.

Interesting word you used there : spirit.

I've been feeling there's something much more to Della Reese's recordings than being 'just' a singer.

Yes, now that you say it, I would agree that Della is possessed of a most unique and inspirational spirit.

I love Miss Della and have herad her preach at her church many times over the years. A real fine lady and great voice for the Lord.

Roberta

That's really good to hear, Roberta. Makes me wish I'd been there.

In a world which will often dismay, we can all benefit from some inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    That's really good to hear, Roberta. Makes me wish I'd been there.

In a world which will often dismay, we can all benefit from some inspiration
    Miss Della is a real inspirational and positive lady westgrandbouleverad. When I lived in Inglewood Id attend her church on a weekly basis it was called the Della Reese Understanding principle for good living at a Lutheran church on Queen Street in Inglewood california. Since I move to Panorama City its too hard to get to and Id have to ride 3 buses to get there so with a real heavy heart i had to find a local church near my apartment although i always remember Pastor Della in my prayers. A truly gracious and Godly woman who I love with all my heart.

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday.

Fondly,

Roberta

One of the first 45's that I bought as a kid was And That Reminds Me by Della.
    As she later had an afternoon talk show, and then starred in a TV series about some angel, many people forget that she had a wonderful recording career too.

After she left Jubilee, she had quite a few hits on RCA. One of her biggest was DON'T YOU KNOW. She and Jackie Wilson were able to take classical melodies and turn them into pop hits. This was Puccini

Forgive me for getting a little off topic, but I think it is terrific that Della and Jackie Wilson were able to have such monster hits with music that was based on classical and opera. As a kid, our radio stations played all types of music and we were exposed to it and appreciated it. Today, we have only boutique stations that play only one type of music.

Berry wrote some great songs for Jackie, but listen here to his operetic voice. How nice it would have been to see Della and Jackie sing together.

"Night" is a popular song recorded by Jackie Wilson in 1960. The single peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was also a huge hit on the R&B charts. According to Wikopedia, the song is based on the aria "Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix" from the opera Samson and Delilah by Camille Saint-Saëns.

milven

Thank you for your responses. I especially love 'And That Reminds Me'. I think Della has a terrific 'bite' and conviction in her voice, which beautifully offsets the sweetness of melodies from classical music and opera.

That, and her distinctive, emphatic enunciation, which has the ability to haunt the memory long after the song has ended.

Roberta

Thank you for your kind wishes, and I do wish the same for you.

I'm sure Pastor Della will be blessed to be remembered in your prayers. What an interesting life the lady has lived.

Three buses is indeed a long journey for you but, yes, we have to be realistic, don't we. Still, as with beautiful memories which are weightless, the inspiration received from others can accompany us anywhere we need to go, to be called upon should we begin to feel down.

And, as if that wasn't enough, we also have her music.

That, in my book, is a true gift to receive.

I appreciate Della Reese. She also my Grandma's absolute favorite!

Then, Marv, I have to say that you and your grandma have good taste

....this be my fave Della sound...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzvUeG16YY

That was good to hear. Thanks for sharing, Grape.

"Tra la la la" has never sounded more meaningful

I appreciate Della

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Miss Della is a real inspirational and positive lady westgrandbouleverad. When I lived in Inglewood Id attend her church on a weekly basis it was called the Della Reese Understanding principle for good living at a Lutheran church on Queen Street in Inglewood california. Since I move to Panorama City its too hard to get to and Id have to ride 3 buses to get there so with a real heavy heart i had to find a local church near my apartment although i always remember Pastor Della in my prayers. A truly gracious and Godly woman who I love with all my heart.

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Oh, you live in Panorama City, Roberta! Do you ever run into Betty Kelley [[Vandellas), as she lives there, too. Nice lady. I saw Della in person In the late 70's. Great singer and unique voice. Nice lady, too.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Oh, you live in Panorama City, Roberta! Do you ever run into Betty Kelley [[Vandellas), as she lives there, too. Nice lady. I saw Della in person In the late 70's. Great singer and unique voice. Nice lady, too.
    I never have seen Betty Kelly in Panorama City but Ill sure to look out for her at the El Super or Food 4 Less grocery stores.

Thanks for the informattion blueskies.

Fondly,

Roberta

I love Della. Beautiful singer and actress. My aunt used to work with her on "Touched By an Angel" and said she was just the sweetest person!

Thank you all. I'm so enjoying reading all your comments. Della Reese seems to be someone who is not only appreciated and respected, but loved. That cannot be said of everyone.

Don't forget to mention your favourite songs of hers.

I'll then look out for them, as I'm wishing to build up a Della collection, to play when I'm in need of being 'touched by an angel'.