[REMOVE ADS]

Garnet Mimms tune

WOW - - where's "A Quiet Place" been all my life? Someone called in the radio show and requested it - - th harmonies and arrangement felt so good. It just - - hit me.

Last time I felt that feeling was the first time I heard "At The Top Of The Stairs", "Rainy Day Bells" and anything by the Impressions....Anyone have any info on who arranged this track?

Since "A Quite Place" was produced by Jerry Ragovoy, I'm guessing that he's the one who arranged it. I suppose Bert Berns could have been involved.

That was a huge hit in Philly. Unfortunately for his fans, he refuses to perform secular music ever again as he's a preacher and is "sold out" for the Lord.

Garnet Mimms was one of my favorite male vocalists along with Jerry Butler. In fact, Garnet did a killer cover of For Your Precious Love. A lot of his recordings included the Sweet Inspirations which sometimes Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick were a part of. It's good to see his name mentioned and that he is not forgotten.
    Last edited by caliluv; 11-04-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Love Garnett Mimms voice!

So that's why we don't hear of him performing. Thanks, Nosey.

S.S.

Garnett was always very popular here in the UK [[with soul fans, so his stuff never made the pop charts).
    After he went a bit cold in the US [[no recent hits) around 67, he started touring here on a regular basis. He played big shows along with Jimi Hendrix in London @ the Saville Theatre which was owned / run by Brian Epstein. The Beatles / Beach Boys & others were in the audience. He also cut a live album here that wasn't as good as it should have been due to the UK beat group that were backing him up on that tour.
    His track "Looking For You" went on to become a massive NS play here.
    Personally I like his ballads a lot better.

One of my all-time favourites, It Was Easier To Hurt Her..

...and another that's high on my all-time list, I'll Take Good care Of You...

A Quiet Place was a hit in Miami on both pop and R&B stations when it was released in the early 60s. I think it was the follow-up to Cry Baby.