[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Once or twice I've heard that "Selfish One" had been written with Mary Wells in mind. It did follow the formula of "My Guy," by using part of an old pop standard as part of its intro. [["My Guy" used "Canadian Sunset," and "Selfish One" used "Tenderly.") Whether there's any validity in that supposition is anyone's guess I suppose. In any case, had Mary Wells recorded it, it would have been during her 20th Century contract. Her recordings for that label weren't getting all that great a response so I suspect, even if she had recorded it, it would not have gotten the push which Jackie Ross's recording did at Chess.
    BigAl, I didn't know that "Selfish One" may have been intended for Mary Wells. Interesting observations you have regarding the intro to both of the respective records you cited. True, Mary Wells would have been gone from Motown by 1965 so "Selfish One" would have been recorded outside Motown. It just sounded so right for Mary's voice and delivery style.

My Man, A Sweet Man-Millie Jackson
    Right Back Where We Started From-Maxine Nightingale
    Kiss Me Sailor-Diane Renay What A Fool Believes-Doobies

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    My Man, A Sweet Man-Millie Jackson
    Right Back Where We Started From-Maxine Nightingale
    Kiss Me Sailor-Diane Renay What A Fool Believes-Doobies
    I

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  21.1 KBI don't think that "Kiss Me Sailor" sounds ANYTHING like Motown. It sounds like typical 1963-64 New York Brill Building Girls Group style.

some feels like "Motown" for me today:

- You Better Get What Goes For You - Margie & The Formations
    - Hold Back The Night - The Trammps
    - I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet - Gonzales
    - The 81 - Candy & The Kisses
    - Big Stone Wall - Tapestry [[same theme as I'll Turn To Stone/Staue Of A Fool)
    - A Million And One Dreams - The Bel Larks [[sounds like early Miracles/After All)
    - You Make My Dreams - Hall And Oates
    - More, More, More Of Your Love - Bob Brady & The Conchords
    - The River Is Wide - The Forum
    - Please Forgive Me - The Du-Ettes
    - Gotta Find A Way - Theresa Lindsay
    - A Lady's Man - The Volcanos [[Marvin Gaye type feel from The Trammps)
    - Romeo & Juliet - The Reflections
    - Mine Exclusively - The Olympics
    - When Smokey Sings - ABC
    - Hungry Heart - Bruce Sprinsteen
    - Tell Her About It - Billy Joel
    - Run Baby Run - The Newbeats
    - Pleasure Of Your Company - S.N. & The C.T.s
    - Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton
    - Oh How Happy - Shades Of Blue
    - A Lovers Concerto - Toys
    - Love Man - Otis Redding
    - Yeah Man - Sam Cooke
    - Love Land - Charles Watts & The 103rd St. Rhythm Band
    - Morning Train - Sheena Easton
    - The Motown Song - Rod Stewart
    - Stand By Me - Spyder Turner
    - Showdown - Archie Bell & The Drells
    - I Just Can't Stop Dancing - Archie Bell & The Drells
    - Don't Have To Shop Around - The Mad Lads
    - Somewhere - Len Barry
    - Like A Baby - Len Barry
    - Would I Love You - Len Barry

Ouch That Hurt - Dionne Bromfield

I first heard this one a few years back in Montreal and thought to myself, hmmmm......sounds like a Motown song. Noisettes with "I'll Never Forget You":

Excuse me if this has already been listed, and a poor Jackson 5 wanna be at that,, but "One Bad Apple" by The Osmonds. And for what it's worth I know they did a Motown Medley too.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes Woodward I was thinking about Im Doin Fine Now and how it reminds me of I'll Always Love You by the Spinners.
    I recall reading that THOM BELL decided to write and produce for THE SPINNERS [[when he struck up a production deal with Atlantic Records at the same time that THE SPINNERS left Motown and signed for them) because he was such a fan of their old "I'll Always Love You"/"Truly Yours" material. I'm pretty certain that "I'll Be Around" and "Could it be I'm Falling in Love" were his attempts to recreate that type of sound so it makes sense to include "I'm Doing Fine Now" in with them as another homage to Motown.

Roger

Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away My Boy
    Patti Labelle - Stir It Up

I see someone has mentioned "More, More, More of Your Love" by BOB BRADY & THE CONCORDS .. which was a virtually note-for-note remake of a track off of THE MIRACLES "Away We A Go-Go" L.P.
    That brought to mind another "Smokey tribute" from Mr Concord and his group ..

I wonder if Mr Concord was kicking himself a couple of years later for not giving the same treatment to "Tears of a Clown" ..
    Roger

Didnt Gordy turn down One Bad Apple for the J5?

His name is Mr Gordy or Mr Berry Gordy. Please show the man some respect for all the music he give us.

Hi!

Thom Bell remembered the Spinners from their early 60s days [[That's What Girls Are Made For) at the Uptown Theater, when they all were playing there and was fascinated by their sound already at that point.

Best regards
    Heikki

I heard that he did. I heard that "One Bad Apple" was supposedly written for the Jackson Five. Gordy can't always be right,.......LOL!

Remember he hated "What's Goin' On?" by Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    His name is Mr Gordy or Mr Berry Gordy. Please show the man some respect for all the music he give us.
    That's an interesting comment and I should respectfully explain why. Over here in the UK, it is customary to refer to someone in written prose as Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms or even include their christian name. But I do recall reading some time ago reading some American literature [[probably some tabloid!!) that refers to people simply by their surname, What struck me as odd is that I often didn't know the sex of the person until I had more of the text.

I hope this slight drift off ffrom topic does not upset.