[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This song is great in equal parts. Diana, the background singers, and the musicians. A true Pop masterpiece. There use to be a youtube video of just Diana's part. No musicians, no background vocals. Just Diana's voice, and she sounded great.

A classic for all time that became that classic because all the participants performed impeccably.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I think that Diana and Aretha are friends, but like most secure celebrities, they don't have a need to flaunt their friendships around. Over the years Aretha has covered several Motown songs, and at least two Diana Ross tunes: Reach Out and Touch on her Live at Filmore West album and also It's My Turn in the early 80's. And I know Diana recorded a teriffic version of Aretha's Call Me in the early 70's. I don't think that either woman would cover a song if they didn't like the material or had no respect for the artist. In the original clip that I posted, I don't think Aretha in any way does anything to disrespect or throw shade at Diana in anyway. Her FULL medley was a tribute to a bunch of awesome female singers, nothing more, nothing less. Please ignore the negativity.

Covering a song that was recorded by another artist does not make the two artists friends!
    Aretha Franklin is not friends with Diana/Diane Ross. Diane was a tomboy that use to steal fruit out of the trees of Aretha's dad [[the Rev. C. L. Franklin's) backyard. Aretha and her family did not like that! They all lived in the same part of the city, but those two have never been friends! I could say a whole lot more ,but I know that some here would not be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    No offense to the background singers, but the song would not have been what it was/is without Diana Ross on vocals, the writing skills of A&S and the musicians.
    What? That talking followed by her screeching and hollering? Nah, those background singers made that song. They were called the Blackberries I believe, but it also sounds like there was a whole choir behind her on that record. Who knows?

Marv you can always say a lot more [[and you do) but you never deliver the real goods. Post the Court Documents in the Karen Ragland trial.

Your just full of bluster, farts and general BS.

You wouldn't know if Aretha Franklin had half as much gas as you do or anything more important.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Marv you can always say a lot more [[and you do) but you never deliver the real goods. Post the Court Documents in the Karen Ragland trial.

Your just full of bluster, farts and general BS.

You wouldn't know if Aretha Franklin had half as much gas as you do or anything more important.
    I know what I know and have sense to be discreet with certain information. As far as I am concerned, this thread is now complete. We've discussed this one performance Aretha did. Everyone has formed their opinions as to whether it was a heart-felt tribute or parody. End of!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    marv you can always say a lot more [[and you do) but you never deliver the real goods. Post the court documents in the karen ragland trial.

Your just full of bluster, farts and general bs.

You wouldn't know if aretha franklin had half as much gas as you do or anything more important.
    do not feed the trolls

"And if living for myself [[living for myself)
    Is what I'm guilty of [[is what I'm guilty of)
    [growling] GO ON...[/growling]
    And sentence me...
    Ha!
    HA!!!
    ...I'll still be free..."

I love the opening to this.

What a GREAT interpretation! Very 'Supreme' gown too. Shame the performance didn't last longer than 2 minutes. LOVE me some Aretha.

supremester Guest
    I'd love this [[It's My Turn) if she reduced her runs a bit and lost the bg singers .....I love Aretha and this song - it could be a great match [[unlike the dress...............................) I saw her last show before her surgery and loved it. her Ain't No Mountain, IMHO, is not a flattering homage to Miss Ross - and I think it was intended that way.
    Last edited by supremester; 01-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.