[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Hi Luke,

We discussed this a few weeks ago, but I'll repeat it here. There was discussion on whether to use Cindy or Susaye on the cover, both valid choices. Because it wasn't decided before going to print, the art department went with the butterfly logo, which was in service from 1972-1977. George Solomon and I did request to change this to a photo of Mary, Scherrie & Susaye, but it was too late and we were overruled. The ladies were made aware before the set was released. However, George Solomon and I have something to tell the fans on this coming Tuesday night's show regarding the cover. Tune in and check out what we have to say! :-)

Ramone Verona Guest
    OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

[[I'm saying this to those who "overruled" you)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

[[I'm saying this to those who "overruled" you)

It may have already been done!

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Friendly-P...5318442&sr=1-2

i thought universal "fixed" this when it was released outside the United States?

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Ok Ramone,

I'll try to explain it here, but maybe we can explain it on Tuesday on John Perrone's Night Flight. Here goes:

When a song was recorded at Motown, roughly between 62 and 65, they recorded on a tape with 3 tracks on it; 1965-1970 on a tape with 8 tracks; 1970-1976 with 16 tracks; later 24, 48, etc. Those tapes are called multi tracks, this means there was an individual track for lead, one for backgrounds, guitars, bass, drums, strings, horns, etc.

Back in the day, an engineer would mix it down to a mono mix, or a two track stereo mix. This tape, known as the master. The masters would be played an quality control would accept or reject the mixes. It might become a single, am album track, or it might go back to the vault.

If a song gets cut somewhere, beginning, middle or end, it has an edit. The Diana Ross album version of Love Hangover is nearly 8 minutes, but the single edit is under 4 minutes. When we put the song out on CD, we remastered it. That is we took the two track master [[album version, or single version) and made sure it was clean and free of ticks, pops, hiss, and if necessary make minor EQ [[sound) adjustments.

When we put Love Hangover on Motown Karaoke, or on Definitive Diana, we remixed the song. We took the original 16 track multi, and re-adjusted each instrument in the song to create [[in the case of Karaoke) an instrumental, or [[in the case of Definitive) a fresh sounding mix. When Almighty did We Love Diana, they did a dance remix, which is using parts of the multi, say the lead vocal, several pieces of instrumentation, and new instruments [[synthesizers, drum machines, sound loops, etc) and they create an entirely new sound. These new add on's are called overdubs. Back in the day, a record like My Girl may be completed, but then they decided to dub in, or add in, strings.

Sometimes we go into the vault and find on a
    Multi track that an artist recorded two vocals to a song. The producers back in the day may have used one, the one we know. The other one would be an alternate. Let's say there's three versions of a song, like Buttered Popcorn. There's a released take, and several other unreleased takes. These are also different versions, or alternates.

Promo is short for promotional. If you bought a single, you bought the single version. However, if Motown sends a copy with a white label to radio stations, that version is a promo. It may be an alternate, or it may be the same, but you couldn't have bought it commercially.

I hope this answers all of your questions!
    Thank you.
    I feel like you're the Professor telling me, Gilligan, just how the "Coconut-Shell Lie-Detector Machine" works as hooked up to the Minnow's battery, horn, fog-lights with bamboo/salt-bridge transfer to the inverse proportionate.

Ramone

Have you thought about changing medication!

ROFL.....hahaha

Ramone

To be honest, that was a very good answer! He's a good man.

Now when you tune in next Tuesday to Midnight Johnny, you'll be the one answering all the questions!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Ramone

To be honest, that was a very good answer! He's a good man.

Now when you tune in next Tuesday to Midnight Johnny, you'll be the one answering all the questions!
    I really needed the laugh from your last 2 post, thanks

Rod_rick

That makes me happy. *smile*

As I see it, music is our hobby and what gives us enjoyment. We have plenty of stuff outside our lives which aint so nice. Certainly for me, this is an escape from all that. I like to have fun and for the most part, I can on here.

My copy of the Final Sessions shipped yesterday from J&R Music World! I think I just wet myself!!

Ramone Verona Guest
    I'm happy for you!
    I don't understand "the rules", though.
    Why can J&R ship out today but the other suppliers have not?
    Why wait until the 17th when fans can be shipped their stuff today?
    I wish everyone had this set already.
    Everyone has waited too long.
    Maybe J&R had some higher product cost or leverage compared to Amazon or Barnes?

Thank you! I hope it arrives sometime early next week or color my world blue!

I don't understand the rules either. I've heard stories of people ordering from Amazon and receiving their order before the release date as well. Some merchants listed on Amazon.ca also have it in stock already.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.

i havent go tmine yet either! darn. im hoping this week!cant wait

i felt bad commenting on the release when there were so many that had yet to receive. then the producers started doing interviews so that made it seem o.k., however those guys had been listening to these tracks for months if not years, so they were in a totally different position than the fans who were getting fake deadline after fake deadline. for six years, yet.
    but discussion is always good for the girls and i am really excited about the next wave of comments about this set!
    i am relieved that the vast majority of releases have now been done. i feel like i won't ever be held hostage anymore by Hip-O with the waiting, and that from now on the company will have to convince me just why i should start purchasing these albums all over again. the bar has been raised just by this final sessions release alone. no more endless waiting. now just deciding if i need to double-triple-quadruple-and what comes after that-to my cd shelves.

Ramone Verona Guest
    This week many will receive their copies.
    Hip-O may have added additional alternate tracks for you guys!!

the cd is available on ITUNES today[may 17]
    since i got an email and wont recieve my offical copy until may 19, i did download a few tracks. i wanted to hear THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG first.scherrie does a great job on it and some of the Russ Terrana mixs i like better.so far.

Ramone Verona Guest
    That is like eating cake batter out of the bowl before the cake is baked!
    Good Going!
    I think you'll enjoy "Seed of Love" and "I Can Never Recover" just as well.
    "Seed of Love" sounds more like a FLOS song than a Supremes song.
    Seems "out of place" just like "Sha-La Bandit" seemed when I heard it for the first time way back on the "At Their Best" LP issued in 1978.
    Glad it was finally included.
    Cindy really stands out.
    Kinda like her very own solo song in a way.

My set just arrived from Amazon and I can't tell you how happy I am at this moment. There is so much incredible music on this set that I haven't heard in over 20 years. Thanks to Andy, George, Harry and all who pushed to finally get this set released. You made this old man very happy!!!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Looking forward to your comments after a good listen.
    Just heard that Arney Schwarzenegger's favorite Supreme track is "Love Child"!

Im still undecided--can we get an OBJECTIVE review of the cds and the whole packaging?Thanks

Looking forward to your comments after a good listen.
    Just heard that Arney Schwarzenegger's favorite Supreme track is "Love Child"!
    That is too funny...!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    My set just arrived from Amazon and I can't tell you how happy I am at this moment.
    And mine still shows as "shipping soon?!" What's up with that??? Have to be patient a bit longer I guess!

Packaging: It is the same as the Jean Terrell set, so they match. The essay is quite nice with quotes from all the ladies. The page layouts are the best I've seen in any of the sets I have from Hip-o. Many pictures are new to me and from photo sessions that I hadn't seen before. Track annotations are complete and some have notes under them such as "Though this track didn't make the original LP, Mary Wilson considers it one of her favorites from the period." Overall, the packaging is an A+. I can't imagine what else I would have wanted. And the butterfly logo on the front doesn't bother me at all. All the ladies are well represented inside both in voice and in writing.

I got tired of waiting for Amazon and downloaded the box from Itunes last night. Gotta say the remastering is superb and I love everything I've heard so far. Can't wait to tear into the booklet when it arrives but at least until then I'll have the fabulous music...

Oh, If Arnold's favorite song is "Love Child" I think its safe to say Maria's is "I Can Never Recover"

reviews are also coming in on Amazon. so far, i've yet to read a anything but positive.

I got my copy here: http://www.blowitoutahere.com/602527...final-sessions
    It was $45.89 plus $1.98 for shipping and was on its way yesterday.

Great-thx!~!

If you have not purchased the box set yet, go to itunes and listen to the previews. They are longer than previews on amazon. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by romeo View Post
    I got my copy here: http://www.blowitoutahere.com/602527...final-sessions
    It was $45.89 plus $1.98 for shipping and was on its way yesterday.
    I've purchased tons of classical music from blowitoutofhere and they're great to work with. Highly recommended seller!

Do they ship to the Uk?

Thanks all for your input-just ordered it!!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    For any other Canadian fans who have not ordered yet, here is a really good deal:

http://www.jr.com/product/music/pm/_1780974/

They only ship to the US and Canada.
    thanks for this! placed my order with j&r on sunday and they shipped yesterday. cancelled my amazon.ca order, which was not only much more expensive, but had yet to ship..

looks like the all music guide already has their review posted [[4 stars)..

by Andy Kellman

From a commercial perspective, the era covered on Let Yourself Go: The ‘70s Albums, Vol. 2, Hip-O Select's follow-up to This Is the Story: The ‘70s Albums, Vol. 1, does not represent the Supremes' most successful phase. The group’s ‘60s and early-‘70s albums routinely reached the Top Ten of Billboard’s R&B Albums chart. None of the three albums central to this set -- The Supremes [[1975), High Energy [[1976), and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye [[1976) -- saw the Top 20. Five 1975-1977 singles charted, with only “I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking” likely to be recalled by casual radio listeners. During these years, the Supremes were more popular on dancefloors; three singles peaked in the Top Ten of the disco chart, and some album cuts -- the white-hot “Come into My Life” especially -- deserved more attention. While none of the three albums is a lost classic, the same can be said for all of them, and they are given a predictably lavish overhaul by Hip-O Select. The package, containing dozens of stunning photos and extensive liner notes, devotes a disc to each album, with over two hours of previously unreleased and rare material divided between the discs. Among the most notable rarities: “Bend a Little” [[a would-be disco single so stellar that it must have been shelved due to some form of label politics), the discarded Russ Terrana mix of the High Energy album [[which packs a little more rhythmic punch and reverb than the released version), and alternate versions of several songs featuring leads from different members. Naturally, this is aimed at fanatics, who should be overjoyed to have these unfairly disregarded recordings handled with such care.

source: http://www.allmusic.com/album/let-yo...2155036/review

You're welcome, Telkin! Welcome to the forum.

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I've purchased tons of classical music from blowitoutofhere and they're great to work with. Highly recommended seller!
    $45 is a super price too. I have ordered much from them in the past with never any problem, but always through Amazon. I didn't realize they were a retail outlet on their own with actual "brick and mortar" stores. $10 cheaper than Amazon, and a whopping $25 cheaper than ordering direct from Hip-O. If I could cancel my Amazon order, I would have, but supposedly it's being packed tenderly by loving hands at this very moment!

I try to support Hip-O as much as possible because they deserve to make money for all the great stuff, but with shipping and California tax, that set comes up to almost $85! Quite a bit more than Amazon and almost twice as much from Blowitouttahere. Okay, there my loyalty evaporates, I'm afraid.

Ramone Verona Guest
    From that "all music guide" review it sounds like all us purchasers are "fanatics".
    I'LL TAKE THAT!!
    Good to see so much talk and ordering and that overall everybody is enjoying this release!!
    I've always thought it strange that "Bend A Little" was shelved.
    It's one thing for Motown to not promote a song, but to shelve this one surely sounds like someone or more wanted the girls to do poorly and go away.
    "Life Beats" is another that everyone seems to love and got shelved right away for New Supremes.

From that "all music guide" review it sounds like all us purchasers are "fanatics".
    I'LL TAKE THAT!!
    Good to see so much talk and ordering and that overall everybody is enjoying this release!!
    I've always thought it strange that "Bend A Little" was shelved.
    I remember that "Bend a Little" was on one of the Magic Disco Machine LPs...naturally, the instrumental track only.

smark21 Guest
    My set arrived today and I'm playing Disc 1 right now [[alternate version of Colour of My world Blue playing as I type this). Andrew, George and the team did a fine job putting this package together. The booklet is an enjoyable read and some fun photos.

Alternate Final Sessions Covers

I have 12 inch vinyl of Bend A Little with the instrumental on one side vocals on the other

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    Thank you Susaye

EH! It's ok.

thank you, Miss Susaye, for the alternate images. i printed them on proper paper-stock and they fit beautifully inside the front cover. George repeatedly said that we must let Universal know how much we enjoy these releases and continue to want more to ensure future product, so is there a specific e-mail address somebody could post for that, please?
    perhaps the generic one in the booklet will do?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I have 12 inch vinyl of Bend A Little with the instrumental on one side vocals on the other
    Rod_rick, the side with the vocals, is it the version on Final Sessions or the version on the Anthology?
    what was the label on the vinyl, motown or who?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Hi Luke,

However, George Solomon and I have something to tell the fans on this coming Tuesday night's show regarding the cover. Tune in and check out what we have to say! :-)

Since I wasn't able to check in, what was said regarding the cover? I like the butterfly. If you stand back from it and look it seems to be embossed rather than just printed - kind of a cool effect.

Can I add my voice

and just say that my set came yesterday and I listened to most of it last night and you can feel the love that not only the ladies put into it but Andy, Harry and George as well. Another brilliant Hip O package.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    Rod_rick, the side with the vocals, is it the version on Final Sessions or the version on the Anthology?
    what was the label on the vinyl, motown or who?
    I believe it said Motown I have to find it. When I do I will scan and post it to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I believe it said Motown I have to find it. When I do I will scan and post it to the forum.
    rod_rick, Was this actually the Supremes' version or the William Goldstein produced Magic Disco Machine version?

I'm not sure if those tracks for the MDM LPs were originally produced with other artist credits or not. It seems possible. Though I enjoyed those LPs, they seemed to be thrown together rather quickly from canned tracks just for quick sale on the Disco market [[which I think was already fading at the time). Okay, okay, I'm dating myself, I know!

Ramone Verona Guest
    What's this "Disco" stuff?
    I always thought it was short for The Disk Company.

What's this "Disco" stuff?
    I always thought it was short for The Disk Company.

I guess I deserved that!!!

Ramone Verona Guest
    The other day I put one of those CDs on that thing Ken calls a "phonograph".
    The sound was Horrible!
    I don't know how you stood for that way back then, Ken.