[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    received mine as well! enjoying the music as i type! love the silver color-finish. you'll know which set to grab when this is together with volume 1. i agree with longtimefan in that the essay is well written and INTERESTING TO FANS. it's not like reading a time-line or story we already know. don't want to give away any fun for those who have not received theirs yet, but i did quickly notice a drum intro on track 5 of the album THE SUPREMES. the track "This is why i believe in you" on my vinyl record has no drum intro, but was included here on the "original" cd section. was this intro on other fan's vinyls? this is before the alternates section.
    yes, the listing of MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES was a shocker at first! i thought i had missed it over the years and actually had to go look! that will be fun to have next as it's really when the girls hit BIG!
    great to hear Cindy all over the place; right where she belongs. i'm just digesting and researching the first album and it's outtakes right now and have yet to move on to the other albums. it was a cool mention just how many supremes albums there are with four supremes on them in one form or another.
    a big thank you to all mentioned in the book!

i always loved SWEET DREAM MACHINE. could of been a single. to bad there are no out takes from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by redlabs View Post
    i always loved SWEET DREAM MACHINE. could of been a single. to bad there are no out takes from this album.
    There's just a few, but one of them is your favorite:

14. You’re My Driving Wheel Alternate Version
    15. Sweet Dream Machine Alternate Version
    16. I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good Alternate Version

Ramone Verona Guest
    I believe Redlabs meant "new unreleased songs". My mailbox had a big smile on it, or was that my reflection?
    Haven't listened to all tracks yet but did read all the liner notes. One question seemed to be answered for Chester about the "Partners" tracks. The liners say Scherrie and Susaye started writing songs for the next Supremes album, some of which ended up eventually on "Partners". I guess that means we DO have a look at what the next album might have been like. They mention Joyce Vincent, as well. Seems so Tidy!
    There is a photo of a Supremes album I do not have. It has MSS on the cover and is titled: 20 Super Hits.
    Can somebody here describe the album. Any other pictures on the back? Did the songs on this album contain any differences from the original vinyl releases? Were the songs edited down due to space?
    And before I forget to say thanks, "Thanks"!

so sorry. just found my answers about the original vinyl of THE SUPREMES in the notes. They found additional track length which they restored to both track 5 and 9. thought maybe somebody out there had a collector vinyl of their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    There is a photo of a Supremes album I do not have. It has MSS on the cover and is titled: 20 Super Hits.
    Can somebody here describe the album. Any other pictures on the back? Did the songs on this album contain any differences from the original vinyl releases? Were the songs edited down due to space?
    And before I forget to say thanks, "Thanks"!
    Ramone,
    The LP that you reference was from The Netherlands. I do not recall any differences in the tracks, but I have listed the timing below. The back cover was solid black, no pictures, and the track listing was in a white font. There were three small black and white pictures of their last three LPs [[The Supremes 1975, High Energy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye). I hope that this helps.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=497990

1. YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL [3:19]
    2. HE'S MY MAN [2:53]
    3. I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING [2:50]
    4. LET YOURSELF GO [3:17]
    5. YOU ARE THE HEART OF ME [3:20]
    6. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE [3:10]
    7. YOU'RE WHAT'S MISSING IN MY LIFE [2:52]
    8. EARLY MORNING LOVE [3:10]
    9. GIVE OUT, BUT DON'T GIVE UP [2:33]
    10. COME INTO MY LIFE [3:11]
    11. NATHAN JONES [3:00]
    12. STONED LOVE [3:17]
    13. BAD WEATHER [2:59]
    14. FLOY JOY [2:34]
    15. UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF [2:58]
    16. I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN [2:40]
    17. YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE [2:59]
    18. AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE [2:35]
    19. EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE [2:35]
    20. RIVER DEEP, MOUNTAIN HIGH [4:47]
    Last edited by longtimefan; 05-07-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Here's the million dollar question... supposedly it was rumored that there was a version of "High Energy" with Scherrie on lead. Does it not exist after all? Was "High Energy"[[the song) recorded that late in the game? We know that the bulk of the album was recorded in December 1975, and since Susaye was not hired until Mid- February 76 [[the week before Flo Died) and the album was released April 1... Susaye's stuff mustv'e been recorded and mixed in a red hot hurry! But wouldn't there have been an original version of "High Energy" [[the song) that was recorded back in December 75?

Ramone Verona Guest
    It states in the liner notes that both Scherrie AND CINDY remember recording a lead on High Energy but that these cannot be found in the vault. Goes on to say that they might even have been erased. That doesn't mean they won't turn up at some future point. Andy probably has them in his bathroom.
    Can Ralph or Russ chime in here? The Russ mixes just say that Quality Control turned them down. They were then re-mixed by others. Can one of you elaborate on QC's thinking? Were they wanting a certain sound that another artist had out at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Here's the million dollar question... supposedly it was rumored that there was a version of "High Energy" with Scherrie on lead. Does it not exist after all? Was "High Energy"[[the song) recorded that late in the game? We know that the bulk of the album was recorded in December 1975, and since Susaye was not hired until Mid- February 76 [[the week before Flo Died) and the album was released April 1... Susaye's stuff mustv'e been recorded and mixed in a red hot hurry! But wouldn't there have been an original version of "High Energy" [[the song) that was recorded back in December 75?
    Jill I believe Andy said that they didn't find a track with Scherrie on lead to High Energy. I wish we could ask Scherrie if she remember recording a lead to High Energy.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Thanks Longtimefan about the Netherlands LP. Interesting that they feature MSS and have pics of their last three albums but chose to include some Jean songs. It's an impressive track list which shows how talented and good the group was post-Diana.

It states in the liner notes that both Scherrie AND CINDY remember recording a lead on High Energy but that these cannot be found in the vault. Goes on to say that they might even have been erased. That doesn't mean they won't turn up at some future point. Andy probably has them in his bathroom.
    Can Ralph or Russ chime in here? The Russ mixes just say that Quality Control turned them down. They were then re-mixed by others. Can one of you elaborate on QC's thinking? Were they wanting a certain sound that another artist had out at the time?
    thank you... that certainly explains it. That's where the Rumored Cindy lead on that song came form as well... from Cindy herself. So now we know it's not a rumor, it's just not "found" Well... here's hoping it turns up someday.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 05-08-2011 at 02:07 AM.

For any other Canadian fans who have not ordered yet, here is a really good deal:

http://www.jr.com/product/music/pm/_1780974/

They only ship to the US and Canada.

it should be a good price. that track list is messed up from the link you provided. i noticed that LP from the Netherlands that is talked about above. was it a 2 record set? makes "At Their Best" in the States look like a budget release. it sure took a long, long time before fans had a true greatest hits from the 1970s. stayed up late listening to the new set! fans will find that they like Russ' mixes better on some songs and then the actual album versions better on other songs. Mary to me sounds much better they way Russ mixed her and the music. the ocean sounds are much better and more subtle on "til the boat sails away". makes the other version we all knew sound like a dam bursting. but then on "only you", there is a spot where Russ cuts off one of Scherrie's beautiful long notes. and i could see why you guys trimmed "love i never knew" down from 9 minutes! i would have collapsed on the dance floor. must have been worse than Diana's "let the sunshine in".
    happy mother's day to Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. i bet i know what they received for a gift

forgot Cindy! happy mother's day to Cindy. i bet i know what she got for a gift, too. Cindy has finally been freed from the vault!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    For any other Canadian fans who have not ordered yet, here is a really good deal:

http://www.jr.com/product/music/pm/_1780974/

They only ship to the US and Canada.

J&R Music is a great New York Store. I've never ordered from them before but shop there a lot. They often carry many of the Hip-O Select titles in store.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Susaye's "High Energy" is very good. There's a note on the track that talks about a synthesizer being added and you sure can hear it in certain parts creating a weird sound in the back. At least that's what I think I'm hearing. This sound is definitely not in the release we are familiar with. Sounds like it came right out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind!
    "More Hits" started me thinking about it's deluxe version. Must be coming around fairly soon since they chose to list it at the back, but it's not finished or listed on site. Final Sessions kind of means we've run through all the albums now and must start again with bonus tracks added to previous CD releases from the 80s and onward. Now if we could get Stevie Wonder to open his vault and give us his work with Jean and Mary and Lynda, we might have another hidden album to be a total surprise. Stevie and Motown collectors would buy it in addition to Supreme fans.
    Last edited by Ramone Verona; 05-09-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    J&R Music is a great New York Store. I've never ordered from them before but shop there a lot. They often carry many of the Hip-O Select titles in store.
    Thanks thommg. I've never previously ordered/shopped there until now, so I'm happy to hear that they are a good and reputable store.

I find it hard to understand why it takes nearly 2 months before the UK gets it. This is 2011 not 1971.

Release date in the UK is June 27.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I find it hard to understand why it takes nearly 2 months before the UK gets it. This is 2011 not 1971.

Release date in the UK is June 27.
    I agree! It's almost as slow for the Ace/Kent releases to cross in the other direction. My order of Marv Johnson through Amazon [[US) indicates it will be released here on May 17, and I think it's been out over there a month already!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree! It's almost as slow for the Ace/Kent releases to cross in the other direction. My order of Marv Johnson through Amazon [[US) indicates it will be released here on May 17, and I think it's been out over there a month already!
    It's already been available [[and looks like it still is) at www.deepdiscount.com

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    It's already been available [[and looks like it still is) at www.deepdiscount.com
    I do apologize. Clicking on the link at deepdiscount.com shows that it is temporarily out of stock. I guess it is selling rather well here in the U.S.A.

I do apologize. Clicking on the link at deepdiscount.com shows that it is temporarily out of stock. I guess it is selling rather well here in the U.S.A.
    I checked and it only says the release date is May 17th. I don't think it would have come in stock yet???

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Kenneth

TOUCHE

I never appreciated that the same situation happened in reverse. Thank you for pointing that out. Worse, we also got Mary's new single before the US. I better get back to lurking!

*smile*

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was selling well. Marv Johnson's album is excellent and deserves to sell well.

I've had my Marv Johnson cd for a while now and I am having to play Modern Talking to bide my time waiting for either the Monitors or the Supremes whichever comes first. Life has got that bad! LOL
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 05-08-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I checked and it only says the release date is May 17th. I don't think it would have come in stock yet???
    I suspect the DeepDiscount.Com "out of stock" means they haven't got it yet. I've ordered from them before, DVDs mostly. Their prices are great, and no tax or shipping [[always a bonus). I don't find their inventory as reliable as Amazon's though. I've ordered DVDs a few times and then suddenly they were on back order, contrary to what online indicated.

I have ordered tons of items from Deep Discount for several years and I NEVER have had a single problem. Their prices and services are extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I have ordered tons of items from Deep Discount for several years and I NEVER have had a single problem. Their prices and services are extraordinary.
    Thanks. That's good to know. I'll have to try them for CDs again. I agree, their prices are great, and even then sometimes with additional discounts.

Thank you Mary, Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye for making my weekend. I danced and sang like it was 1975/76 again. Whew! Thank you to Harry, Andrew and George for producing this special set. For those who have not purchased this set, you will not be disappointed. The sound quality is top notch and the voices of the lovely ladies...what can I say, Supreme!

Ramone Verona Guest
    George S. commented a few posts back about cracking up on the alternate of "Sweet Dream Machine".
    You Three Girls were NAUGHTY!
    They must have decided to "do the Donna Summer thing".
    If you are under 21, you cannot listen to this track!

One of those 5000 copies might have gone to Susaye. She's sporting the set in her hands on Facebook. Many have congratulated her on it; a very few have actually stated that they are ordering it. So it must be real! I wonder if every Supreme received a copy? This set has four, count them "4", versions of "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking". I wonder who's favorite supreme's song this was?? Diana should record this.
    My sources tell me that Diana didn't care for that song.

Did you notice Scherrie's voice coming in at the end of "High Energy" on the alternate version? "high, high, high, high, high...high energy.."

Ramone Verona Guest
    YES!
    But I was not sure if it was her or the short one!
    Also noticed something "booty-licious" or some-such on a track.
    NAUGHTY!

I am sooooooooooooooo loving this box set. Some stand out tracks that I love better than the original are "You're Whats Missing In My Life" Mary Wilson lead, Only You [[Russ Terrana Mix) and "Give Out, But Don't Give Up" Mary Wilson lead. Can someone answer the question if "You're My Driving Wheel" is the same version on the 70's Greatest Hits and Rare Classics and Supremes 2000 box set? I know, those versions weren't included in this new box set I was just curious.

"Come on, come on baby, come on... take my hand, ain't love good, ain't love grand." Yeah!

today i'm playing over and over "I can never recover" and "Dance Fever". did you producers place two different "dance fever" tracks into one longer version?

regarding the photos, i thought the supremes with Cindy had cuter photo sessions. i'm not talking about how the girls look but rather the poses, dresses and places. like the fire-ball gowns with the lion. and red lipstick for days.

at David Nathan's soul music site he posted the following 1970's interviews with the supremes in celebrating this release!

Classic interviews:
    Supremes Go Double Dutch Again - May 1976

http://www.soulmusic.com/sumay19in.html

Supreme-acy - June 1976 interview with Mary Wilson on the group's history

http://www.soulmusic.com/suju19fe.html

If You Knew Susaye

http://www.soulmusic.com/suja19in.html

New Supremes Will Spearhead New Motown Era

http://www.soulmusic.com/suju19in.html

YES!
    But I was not sure if it was her or the short one!
    Also noticed something "booty-licious" or some-such on a track.
    NAUGHTY!
    it's on the High Energy alternate. Mary says "Stay! You're indescribably delicious". i'm blushing just typing this! i bet the vault guys had to get permission to release this without one of those warning labels!

aaron

I know for certain that the US DJ version of "Driving Wheel" was on the Supremes box set CD4. With the Rare Classics set, I'd need to remind myself by checking the cd and cassette versions. Hopefully, you know that the cd and cassette versions of Rare Classics had different versions of the songs and you needed to buy both

This is a new mix of “You’re My Driving Wheel”. It is the full version with no edits released here for the first time. You’ll notice it includes an extra verse. This is also before Susaye added her adlibs to the track. Motown did a 1976 promo single mix without Susaye’s vocals. It was included on THE SUPREMES box set and is also available on the two CD set GOLD. It was first issued on AT THEIR BEST. The released single version included Susaye’s vocals and was edited from the LP mix. GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS CD included an alternate edit of the LP mix. So, this is now the fifth released version of “You’re My Driving Wheel” and is probably much more than anyone wanted to know! [[I’m having a slow day.)

THE FINAL SESSIONS also includes the entire five minute track as recorded of “I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking”. It’s a completely different Scherrie vocal and has no edits. You hear it exactly as it was recorded.

I find it interesting to hear original versions of these songs before they were altered and edited for release.

Mine arrived today [[Tuesday). It looks just as fabulous as everyone has stated. Can't wait to hear it. But I'll have to wait until after tonight's Nightflight special "Andy Skurow & the Supremes". These are indeed Supremes times. A big Thank You to everyone involved in this wonderful project!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Perhaps it would be helpful to tell us the differences between:
    -a mix
    -an edit
    -an alternate
    -an outtake
    -a promo
    -a version
    -a dub [[per boyfromxtown )
    Last edited by Ramone Verona; 05-10-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    There is another wonderful picture of a stunning Florence on-stage with Mary and Cindy and Scherrie in the set!

Ramone

Add on

A dub

There is another wonderful picture of a stunning Florence on-stage with Mary and Cindy and Scherrie in the set!
    i wonder what song the four are singing on the stage. Flo looks like she's singing and playing the tambourine.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Mightn't it be their greatest hits medley of 60s tunes?

They were singing "Love Train" with Flo on stage...

Ok Ramone,

I'll try to explain it here, but maybe we can explain it on Tuesday on John Perrone's Night Flight. Here goes:

When a song was recorded at Motown, roughly between 62 and 65, they recorded on a tape with 3 tracks on it; 1965-1970 on a tape with 8 tracks; 1970-1976 with 16 tracks; later 24, 48, etc. Those tapes are called multi tracks, this means there was an individual track for lead, one for backgrounds, guitars, bass, drums, strings, horns, etc.

Back in the day, an engineer would mix it down to a mono mix, or a two track stereo mix. This tape, known as the master. The masters would be played an quality control would accept or reject the mixes. It might become a single, am album track, or it might go back to the vault.

If a song gets cut somewhere, beginning, middle or end, it has an edit. The Diana Ross album version of Love Hangover is nearly 8 minutes, but the single edit is under 4 minutes. When we put the song out on CD, we remastered it. That is we took the two track master [[album version, or single version) and made sure it was clean and free of ticks, pops, hiss, and if necessary make minor EQ [[sound) adjustments.

When we put Love Hangover on Motown Karaoke, or on Definitive Diana, we remixed the song. We took the original 16 track multi, and re-adjusted each instrument in the song to create [[in the case of Karaoke) an instrumental, or [[in the case of Definitive) a fresh sounding mix. When Almighty did We Love Diana, they did a dance remix, which is using parts of the multi, say the lead vocal, several pieces of instrumentation, and new instruments [[synthesizers, drum machines, sound loops, etc) and they create an entirely new sound. These new add on's are called overdubs. Back in the day, a record like My Girl may be completed, but then they decided to dub in, or add in, strings.

Sometimes we go into the vault and find on a
    Multi track that an artist recorded two vocals to a song. The producers back in the day may have used one, the one we know. The other one would be an alternate. Let's say there's three versions of a song, like Buttered Popcorn. There's a released take, and several other unreleased takes. These are also different versions, or alternates.

Promo is short for promotional. If you bought a single, you bought the single version. However, if Motown sends a copy with a white label to radio stations, that version is a promo. It may be an alternate, or it may be the same, but you couldn't have bought it commercially.

I hope this answers all of your questions!

Andy-per Susayes comment on the radio show and some other fans-why wasnt a pic of the Supremes used on the cover?

i'm not trying to interefere with the photo answer, but if it was due to expense, i'll take more music over more photos.