[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson question and answer 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcU2s...eature=related

this was really good! When you have time I would encourage you to watch all 4 parts although this one is my favorite part. She sings in a high soprano imitating Flo which is great for anyone who thinks she cant sing they should hear this. Also she does Heres to Life at the end and the students love her and she is given a standing ovation,.
    Steph.

Very nice clip. Mary is always very candid. She just opened the other night in Las Vegas at the Riveria for a two week run!

Did she nail that song or what? Amazing!!!

Steph.

Steph

I can't agree with you on that performance of "Here's To Life". Sorry.

Mary Wilson has got better over the years but that was not one of her better performances.

No that is not her best performance of Here's to Life but I meant the reaction of the group was inspiring. Mary for some reason comes across better live than she does on camera I dont know why. But she comes across really well in video like U and One Night with You and some others. I dont know what it is about these Motown performers I guess its old school but I have seen some of them perform for 50 people and the show is just as good when they sing for 300-3000 people. I have never been dissapointed when I have seen Mary live and she never ever stops until she has finished signing every book or album that is given to her. I always felt bad for her because it seems like when a great record came out for her Walk the Line [[label goes bankrupt), One Night with You [[no promotion) she never has a good break and she has done some songs that would have hit and I know it. Thank god she got the co leads on Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine and Touch. I know Touch was not a huge seller but it did sell. I have heard many people wonder why Bad Weather was not a hit and Im just miffed. When Mary wrote her book that would have been the time for her to have a huge hit everyone I know who hears U is shocked when they find out it is Mary Wilson that song had hit written all over it! It is not easy living in the shadow of a lead singer but she has done well for herself I must say. A background singer [[known as one but not really one) who has a best selling book, and finished college 2 years or 4 it doesnt matter is quite an accomplishment. My mother who is almost psychic she seems to know everything you know how mothers are said that after Mary got her degree she seemed to even exude more confidence. I played Love Aint Love for my mother and she said who is that its a good record and I told her Florence Ballard and she said what? Its all about promotion I have heard people that sound horrible who get hit records. One thing [[and not because I am a Supremes fan) I like about Ms Wilson as well as Diana Ross is that it is not easy to perform once you get in your 60s and move like that and these ladies [[along with others like Ms Labelle and Tina Turner) have proven that the true survivors still have it. I have heard Mary Wilson get on stage with a cold and she still performed and apologized to the audience. Her Up Close and Personal show is probably one of her best ones. I like her with just a piano and a few strings she is great.

Good points and I bet your mother is onto something! Mary received rave from NY Times for Heres to Life at Feinstein's. The problem has been with her identity as a back up singer in the worlds most famous trio. However her reviews have been exceedingly positive for years. How some people just ignore them is ludicrous. Some people just dont like her for reasons we all know and due to the strong feelings among Surpemes fan that sometimes creates negativity. Ross is talented,Mary is talented. Their personalities and harmonies created magic.
    Last edited by luke; 06-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Hi Steph
    I agree with you and you made some great points but, Iwas just commenting on the performance you posted and in my opinion it was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    No that is not her best performance of Here's to Life but I meant the reaction of the group was inspiring. Mary for some reason comes across better live than she does on camera I dont know why. But she comes across really well in video like U and One Night with You and some others. I dont know what it is about these Motown performers I guess its old school but I have seen some of them perform for 50 people and the show is just as good when they sing for 300-3000 people. I have never been dissapointed when I have seen Mary live and she never ever stops until she has finished signing every book or album that is given to her. I always felt bad for her because it seems like when a great record came out for her Walk the Line [[label goes bankrupt), One Night with You [[no promotion) she never has a good break and she has done some songs that would have hit and I know it. Thank god she got the co leads on Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine and Touch. I know Touch was not a huge seller but it did sell. I have heard many people wonder why Bad Weather was not a hit and Im just miffed. When Mary wrote her book that would have been the time for her to have a huge hit everyone I know who hears U is shocked when they find out it is Mary Wilson that song had hit written all over it! It is not easy living in the shadow of a lead singer but she has done well for herself I must say. A background singer [[known as one but not really one) who has a best selling book, and finished college 2 years or 4 it doesnt matter is quite an accomplishment. My mother who is almost psychic she seems to know everything you know how mothers are said that after Mary got her degree she seemed to even exude more confidence. I played Love Aint Love for my mother and she said who is that its a good record and I told her Florence Ballard and she said what? Its all about promotion I have heard people that sound horrible who get hit records. One thing [[and not because I am a Supremes fan) I like about Ms Wilson as well as Diana Ross is that it is not easy to perform once you get in your 60s and move like that and these ladies [[along with others like Ms Labelle and Tina Turner) have proven that the true survivors still have it. I have heard Mary Wilson get on stage with a cold and she still performed and apologized to the audience. Her Up Close and Personal show is probably one of her best ones. I like her with just a piano and a few strings she is great.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Good points and I bet your mother is onto something! Mary received rave from NY Times for Heres to Life at Feinstein's. The problem has been with her identity as a back up singer in the worlds most famous trio. However her reviews have been exceedingly positive for years. How some people just ignore them is ludicrous. Some people just dont like her for reasons we all know and due to the strong feelings among Surpemes fan that sometimes creates negativity. Ross is talented,Mary is talented. Their personalities and harmonies created magic.
    Mary Wilson is the BOMB! Forget everything else. LOL!

Here is Mary, along with Wendy Edmends and Lucy Shropshire last night in Las Vegas at the Riveria:

Nice shot of Mary from last night. Really looks like she's pullin' her "visual" self together. Beautiful lady.

Gosh Mary looks good here!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Gosh Mary looks good here!
    She look thinner. Last time i saw mary she was a little on the heavy side. Good to see her looking so well and so pretty.

I agree with Mary only singing with the piano, would be awesome! She exhibits much emotion into the lyrical interpretation of the song. I always wonder what would have happened if she stayed in Europe where it is a less disposable society as far as music is concerned. But then again, from a qualitative perspective, she is fairly well known in the USA. She is still in demand, sounds great, and is an inspiration to all.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I agree with Mary only singing with the piano, would be awesome! She exhibits much emotion into the lyrical interpretation of the song. I always wonder what would have happened if she stayed in Europe where it is a less disposable society as far as music is concerned. But then again, from a qualitative perspective, she is fairly well known in the USA. She is still in demand, sounds great, and is an inspiration to all.
    She is amazing for a lot of reasons, but one I must point out. She made her first record in late 1958 "Pretty Baby" for Lupine Records as a member of the Primettes and sounds even better in 2011 with her latest, "Life's Been Good to Me". She is the epitome of a survivor!