[REMOVE ADS]

Online petition to have the Marvelettes in the 2015 class of the R&R HOF

There's an online petition started to have the Marvelettes inducted into the 2015 class of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. You can sign it by clicking on the URL below:

https://www.change.org/petitions/the...l-of-fame-2015

RossHolloway Guest
    I just signed the petition. Thanks for posting this.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but I've seen a Facebook group page that has been doing the same thing.

The whole situation with The Marvelettes and the Rock and Roll Hall of fame is ridiculous. The Marvelettes initially brought the Motown sound to the masses and the rock and roll hall of fame basically ignores probably the largest contribution to rock and roll ever ????????????? Enough with them and the Marvelettes. At this point the r&r Hall of Fame seems self serving and political. Mary Wells, Lou Rawls and Donna Summer need to be acknowledged also

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    The Marvelettes initially brought the Motown sound to the masses and the rock and roll hall of fame basically ignores probably the largest contribution to rock and roll ever ?????????????
    The largest contribution to rock and roll ever? The Marvelettes? I don't think so. I agree that the R&R Hall is way too political, and the Marvelettes deserve to be in, but they are very very far from being the largest contribution to rock and roll ever. On a side note, Jr Walker & the All Stars really needs to be in the R&R Hall. It's a shame the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J are nominated for this year. They are rappers that have nothing to do rock and roll. Maybe at this point it's better to not be inducted than to be inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    The largest contribution to rock and roll ever? The Marvelettes? I don't think so. I agree that the R&R Hall is way too political, and the Marvelettes deserve to be in, but they are very very far from being the largest contribution to rock and roll ever. On a side note, Jr Walker & the All Stars really needs to be in the R&R Hall. It's a shame the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J are nominated for this year. They are rappers that have nothing to do rock and roll. Maybe at this point it's better to not be inducted than to be inducted.
    I think what Zantellor meant was by them having the first number one record for Motown , they introduced Motown to the World via "Please Mr. Postman". To some, [[me included), Motown was one of the greatest contributions to Rock and Roll and Pop Music hands down!

That's not entirely true. The first major hit for Tamla/Motown was "Shop around". It was the labels first "million" seller. That introduced the world to Motown on a large scale. The argument for the Marvelettes is that they had the first number one pop hit on Billboard.

Didn't Donna Summer make it in last year?

The RnRHOF stopped being very relevant a long time ago. Many of the 60's and 70's hitmakers will be forever ignored by them. And music splintered into so many divergent branches that it has caused the RnRHOF trouble.

None of the classic era sixties Motown acts are technically Rock & Roll acts, they are Soul artists so I never understand when people get upset that the hall inducts multiple genres like Rap. It's like being mad at the Rhythm & Blues Foundation because the Captain & Tennille haven't been inducted by them even though they had a hit with a cover of The Miracles "Shop Around"....

all that being said The Marvelettes deserve to make it, hopefully next year as there will be a lull in newly eligible nominees until 2016 when all the Grunge acts start coming up and pushing these legends into the shadows.

Yes The marvelettes made a large contribution to rock and roll. The Marvelettes got the Motown sound to the masses. the beatles covered Please Mr Postman and the Carpenters brought it to #1 again. Yes It was a Marvelette who wrote the song that got the Motown sound noticed. It was Gladys Horton who wrote Their next smash Hit Playboy. Yes they have contributed a hell of a lot more that many artists who have already been inducted.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think what Zantellor meant was by them having the first number one record for Motown , they introduced Motown to the World via "Please Mr. Postman". To some, [[me included), Motown was one of the greatest contributions to Rock and Roll and Pop Music hands down!
    I see what you're saying, but for the advancement of the genre of Rock & Roll, I wouldn't really consider Motown in that. I guess it's just a case of how people define Rock & Roll. I think it's gotta be driven by guitar or one specific instrument and have solos, and it's typically low production [[just drums, guitar[[s), bass, vocals sometimes). Motown obviously contributed immensely to pop music [[i.e. the Beatles) but I just wouldn't call that Rock & Roll. The Marvelettes belong in the R&R HoF, but getting into it is more of the thought that they need to be recognized by the general public and in the picture of music as a whole than them being a huge Rock & Roll contributor. The R&R HoF pretty much has gotten to a point where it represents music as a whole.