[REMOVE ADS]

Gregory Porter - 1960 What? [[Official Music Video)

I've been into Gregory since his first release Water dropped. He was and at this time still
    remains the most impressive male jazz vocalist to come along in the last 20 + years. Not
    only that, his writing is pure poetry, he performs standards too, re-interpreting them but
    it's his own compositions that have been knocking people out from here to Montreal in recent months. I posted his Be Good here a while back but I only remember one other
    forum member responding. They say funk used to be a bad word, I guess today jazz is...

I think Gregory Porter is one of the best out there today. I hope more people get to hear him.

Thank you for posting. I've been meaning to post about him for some time now. His new cd on Blue Note Records is the business. Also he performed at this year's Jazz Festival in Detroit and rocked the house. He is the perfect combination of soul, funk and jazz. So glad to see that some people are still making real music today.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Thank you for posting. I've been meaning to post about him for some time now. His new cd on Blue Note Records is the business. Also he performed at this year's Jazz Festival in Detroit and rocked the house. He is the perfect combination of soul, funk and jazz. So glad to see that some people are still making real music today.
    He's got a little of that Marvin Winan's thang in his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He's got a little of that Marvin Winan's thang in his voice.
    I agree Marv2

Saw him last week in a sold out show at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw,
    If you check youtube there is a great performance he did at the Amsterdam Paradiso last year for Dutch televion.

Gregory Porter & His Band are appearing on a double bill with Natalie Cole at the Royal Albert Hall Bluesfest, London on Wednesday 30th October........ Bobby Womack and Mavis Staples also have their own shows in London's Bluesfest....
    http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/...d=uk_bluesfest

RossHolloway Guest
    He does have a beautiful voice. I got turned on to him earlier this year and grab a couple of his cds. I haven't purchased his latest release yet.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think Gregory Porter is one of the best out there today. I hope more people get to hear him.

I second that emotion! Love, love, love Mr. Porter!

Splanky, I thought Kevin Mahogany who I still love was the best jazz male vocalist out there until I got a hold of Water and everything else Gregory made. He is outstanding and his writing is pure poetry. As for me, Gregory is the best in the game right now.

nysister, I know exactly what you mean I still like Kevin too and I've come to understand a singer I didn't get for the longest, Kurt Elling, and accept another I used to feel what riding
    on his late brother legacy, Freddy Cole but I can imagine Gregory Porter is making a lot of
    standing in the wings singers very nervous, very jealous or flat out pissing in their pants....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    nysister, I know exactly what you mean I still like Kevin too and I've come to understand a singer I didn't get for the longest, Kurt Elling, and accept another I used to feel what riding
    on his late brother legacy, Freddy Cole but I can imagine Gregory Porter is making a lot of
    standing in the wings singers very nervous, very jealous or flat out pissing in their pants....
    LOL.......you know that's right!