[REMOVE ADS]

James Phelps RIP

We have lost another great soul singer !!!
    I was introduced to James via his "Love Is a 5 Letter Word" which was included on a Chess compilation LP released here in the UK way back in the 60's.
    I have always loved that song & his rendition of it.
    R.I.P.

This was new to me. Very nice. RIP James.

I will remember James both as a very fine soul singer and as a terrific gospel lead with groups like the Clefs of Calvary and the Soul Stirrers in the early sixties. He had that Sam Cooke feel but with a rougher edge.

I understand that a book titled "The James Phelps Story" has just been published, and hopefully this will be a fitting memorial to the man. It's just sad that he won't be around to see it.

Mercy!!!!!!!! Sounds like Sam Cooke

Wow I have the 45 of "Love Is A Five Letter Word",courtesy of my father. That was one of his favorites he would play around the house. R.I.P.

Here is the flip of "Love is a five letter word" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_P3OjSwCI
    R.I.P James Phelps.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  21.1 KB
    "I'll Do The Best I Can" is my favourite James Phelps cut, but I like Ruben Fort's original version

[[backed by The Voice Masters)[[1960 Check-Mate Records-Anna Records master) better.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.

I was just listening to "Oh What a Feeling" earlier today on my iPod...this is a shock and a loss. He did have that Sam Cooke feel to his voice. RIP, James, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

Here is an obituary from the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/ar.../28phelps.html