[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i hope u caught that 70's show i had up there, i took it down a couple of hours ago. i have the 80's and 90's up!

Quote Originally Posted by the_classic_master View Post
    i hope u caught that 70's show i had up there, i took it down a couple of hours ago. i have the 80's and 90's up!
    I missed it. Was out most of the day. I will check out the 80's /90's though. Thanks buddy

jsmith, I love your posts ,and there is always that 2 or 3 facts I didn't know of in them.
    Ms. Brown is a talent IMO ,that is too good to be ,"commercially" exploited. That is ,why she is one of the many ladies ,that have not recieved broader recognizition . She is a Divas Diva. She the voice behind the commercial image of a singer in the 80's -90's period. That's the reason why she left here for the U.K.. The woman is an awesome talent.

classicmaster : I was rolling from your thread. I am just as guilty as you.

Melba Moore, "You Stepped Into My Life " -1978:

And underated, always underated in the US - THE THREE DEGREES ! Shame, shame, shame !!!

DISCO ? Well, here's a couple of their amazing tunes OHHH yezzz, LIVE!

Last edited by ginomons; 10-31-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Rhino used to put out disco compilations in the early 90s,I think they were called "The Disco Years" they had a good cross section of songs Rhino seemed to always put so much care into their releases.
    I worked on a New Zealand disco compilation called "Absolute Disco" which was fun,Pre You Tube original disco video clips were quite hard to come by as they hadnt really been serviced to tv stations as there wasnt really a demand to see them..I had good quality clips of Kool and The Gang,The Jacksons etc..the "Knock On Wood' video was fun with Ami in her headpiece..I cant remember which tracks Warners remastered from my collection for the cd but there was a few..I love Niles clear perspex guitar in the "Le Freak" video to....

The only thing I hated about Rhino comps is that, while Bill Inglot would master the sound pretty well [[even though he was a treble whore), he would consitieantly put on the wrong single versions.

Three Degrees

ginomons comments that the Three Degrees were underrated in the US. That's their loss, but for the rest of us, we loved the Three Degrees, and they were very successful and welcomed.

Sheila Ferguson used to live very close to me until relatively recently, and hope one day she'll return here. Her style and vocal leads were excellent for disco - as the live recordings demonstrate. Thanks ginomons for posting them.

From the PIR days to Ariola, the Three Degrees were very much in demand, sold records, and were often to be heard on the radio. Their Giorgio Moroder albums of course have now been issued in Japan, although this year has seen the first of these, New Dimensions, released on CD with bonus tracks in the UK. 3D hasn't yet been issued in the UK, but is still available in Japan.

If you're into disco & boogie tracks, check out the recent UK CD releases from Backbeats ......
    .... loads of great compilations at cheap prices .....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BoogieS-Gonn...8603629&sr=1-2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philly-Disco...=pd_sim_m_h__4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soul-Steppin...=pd_sim_m_h__1

Hi this is Kev-Lo

Here's A Disco Masterpiece that they Still tear up parties
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnNYCV5gJbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KodTR21OI Alright now--get down to one of the great ones-and move it! Ms Gerladine Hunt Cant Fake the Feeling on Solid Gold.

Here's one that many people think of when they here the word "Disco". It was on the radio all time in the Winter of 1977-78 and one of my favorites The Bee Gees and "Night Fever"! :

I preferred "Nights On Broadway " and "Nights On Broadway" to Night fever,But If Im in the dj Booth I'd go with Nightfever for the crowd,[[mainly 18 -25) would know it over my 2 favs...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I preferred "Nights On Broadway " and "Nights On Broadway" to Night fever,But If Im in the dj Booth I'd go with Nightfever for the crowd,[[mainly 18 -25) would know it over my 2 favs...
    I prefer the original studio hit version of "You Should be Dancing".

Tom, we were wondering where you were! Your work and input is ESSENTIAL to this discussion. I personally am interested in knowing what your approach is when creating an extended mix of say a 3:00 minute single cut?
    Last edited by marv2; 11-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Not being insulting, but how can an album change a person's life? Just curious.

I can't think of any one song or album that has ever made a huge impact in a life-changing way.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I can't think of any one song or album that has ever made a huge impact in a life-changing way.

I'll briefly explain. Until the disco era, and in particular the Gloria Gaynor album [[plus George McCrae's 'Rock your baby' and also Barry White's 'Can't get enough') I was a good student, and most of my time was spent studying, reading, and listening to music. That music was primarily Motown or classical. I was a solitary person, and had no idea what the inside of a nightclub was like, and probably only went into a pub about once or twice a year. Gloria's album came out, and when I played it, I just found it so very hard to keep still. I wanted to get up, to dance, to go out, studying suffered, music was played very loud, went out, slept with women. When I was getting ready to go out, I often would play this album very loud [[and I do mean loud) and I would become extremely excited about where I was going to go, where I would end up, who I would meet, and so on. For me, the first side of this album was about 19 minutes of sheer fantastic music, designed to stimulate, motivate and make me feel that the night was mine for the taking. That's enough for now ... :-)

Just scrolling through this old post and stumbled across this comment. I know it's from years back but personally my entire life has been surrounded and affected by music. I can hear an old song and it will bring back a memory from my past. Beyonce stated that the first time she saw Michael Jackson in concert as a kid, she knew that being a performer was what she wanted to do. That as we can see was LIFE CHANGING. There are certain songs, artists and albums that have affected me in a way that it's hard to explain in words but it definitely had a very positive affect on my life, thus changing it for the better. Everyone's experience is the different but music can definitely change one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Just scrolling through this old post and stumbled across this comment. I know it's from years back but personally my entire life has been surrounded and affected by music. I can hear an old song and it will bring back a memory from my past. Beyonce stated that the first time she saw Michael Jackson in concert as a kid, she knew that being a performer was what she wanted to do. That as we can see was LIFE CHANGING. There are certain songs, artists and albums that have affected me in a way that it's hard to explain in words but it definitely had a very positive affect on my life, thus changing it for the better. Everyone's experience is the different but music can definitely change one's life.
    Glen I know exactly what you mean. I was facing all of these College Prep classes my senior year in high school and just couldn't see how I was going to be able to do it all and play basketball along with all my other school activities and then i heard this new song by George Benson "The Greatest Love of All" and that did it for me!

Well, that interesting.

I have never heard the entire album, so I looked to see if I could download it and found in on Amazon. I sampled it and it sounded bad. Then, I looked around and found out why:
    http://www.discomusic.com/forums/sho...636#post169636

I'll just look for the vinyl LP.

[QUOTE=soulster;17074]Well, that interesting.

I have never heard the entire album, so I looked to see if I could download it and found in on Amazon. I sampled it and it sounded bad. Then, I looked around and found out why:
    http://www.discomusic.com/forums/sho...636#post169636

I'm sure you also read the reply from the label manager Wayne Dickson, which I am copying here. If Tom Moulton is happy with the finished product, then I most definitely am:

"Gentlemen,
    Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wayne Dickson. I am label manager for Big Break Records here in the UK. Tom Moulton alerted me to this thread and I felt I should drop a note to you all here.

First of all, the facts.

We take the sound quality of all of our releases very seriously indeed. Personally, there is nothing that disappoints me more than bad sound quality on a CD so when we were fortunate enough to obtain the rights to release the first two Gloria Gaynor, we set about making sure that we did the best job possible. The original tapes were sourced from Universal in New York and were then restored and remastered by Kevin Reeves, who we requested personally. I supervised the mastering and made sure the end results were to my satisfaction. Tracks 9 & 10 [[The Columbia Singles) were only available from copy masters that were in bad condition. It was my decision to include them despite their limitations and I am very glad I did.

As some of you may know, music recorded during this period was often produced and mixed to fit the vinyl format. This means that the sound on the actual master tape does not always reflect the producer's aim for how the music would sound on vinyl. Further compression techniques would be implemented at the pressing stage. Our aim here was to provide a fitting representation of these classic albums in a digital format.

Now, opinions.

We are very happy with the finished results and are glad to report that almost all of the feedback we have received though our email address and Facebook site, as well as an email from Tom Moulton himself, backs our own opinions up. We do realise that everyone is entitled to their view and are very happy for them to express it. My only problem is when Audiophiles start to present their opinions as fact. I would invite anyone who is interested in this music to make up their own mind and not be influenced or dictated to by others.

Please make sure when any of you send out a "warning" to other potential buyers that may lead to them avoiding a product that you include another "warning" about the demise of CD sales that makes it more likely that there will be less future releases for them to listen to and make up their own mind about. I would also like to add that suggesting that Tom Moulton's masterpieces be remixed would result in a remix album rather than the original. Surely this should not be our aim. I appreciate the positive comments made on the mastering of our other releases. These opinions are also noted and appreciated.

I hope this clears up any questions anyone still may have on the product. Please be in no doubt that we always aim to deliver the best product.

Thank you,
    Wayne A. Dickson,
    Label Manager, BBR [[Big Break Records)".

Very anti-audiophile.

As an audiophile, I just want the music to represent more of what's on the tape. That's not usually a problem, as Kevin reeves is a terrific engineer, and I have corresponded with him. I like his work.

The problem comes when the mastering engineer boosts the volume several decibels with limiting and/or compression just to make it louder. ANYONE who works with audio knows what this does to the sound. I little bit can sound tasty, but too much can make mush out of the sound. Unfortunately, that all too often happens with CD remasters. That is what audiophiles are against.

I have another remaster from BBR, and, while s the sound is quite good, they compressed it to make it louder. In this day and age, with the Abbey Road Team redefining what good taste is in remastering by showing restraint with the limiting/compressing, there is no reason to boost the level 5-6 db. The recent Beatles and John Lennon remasters sets the new standard in remastering. There is no need to go crazy with the compressor. period.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-04-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Gwen Guthrie , another Diva's Diva. "Padlock" ,"7'th Heaven" ,"It Should've Been You" ,"Nothing Going On But The Rent", "Outside In The Rain" , on their own are classics , transformed by Re-mixes by Larry Levan ,and made into Mega Classics ,are undisputed classics. Larry and Joycelyn and Gwen ,were by destiny ,meant to work together. The stars were in the right place for all of the tracks made in this period to be together and it will be a long time before something like that will ever happen again. I mean that from the heart , If you don't know then you really need to research and listen and check it out. WORD.

I'm not such a fan of disco, I much prefer funk, but I'll post some of my favourite disco tracks,

Superb disco funk, from the amazing Norman Whitfield.

Quote Originally Posted by the_chicks_call_me__slick View Post
    yes yes yes!!!!!

Now this was a jam and a definite floor filler!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now this was a jam and a definite floor filler!
    It was vicious Marv,

If only there were music like that around today.

Is Keep On Truckin' disco, funk, or disco funk? I'm not too good on categories. One thing I do know, it's a superb piece of music.

Is Keep On Truckin' disco, funk, or disco funk? I'm not too good on categories. One thing I do know, it's a superb piece of music.

Well, it depends on who you ask. It was classified as early disco as far as I know.

Well, it depends on who you ask. It was classified as early disco as far as I know.
    I never heard it called disco. Maybe in NY...

Truckin ,is considered "pre-Disco" , mainly because it was out before the "Disco" commercial designation came into existence.
    Tracks like Truckin ,were played in urban clubs ,households and house parties/social events from the time when they came out. Disco ,being a multi cultural "genre" ,combined dancable Pop and thru the older DJ's ,dancable R&B. Later ,when the mixing of tracks allowed there to be extended versions ,the fact that it was a dancefloor hit ,made it a prime track for a remix or extended mix. It is in fact though ,Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Truckin ,is considered "pre-Disco" , mainly because it was out before the "Disco" commercial designation came into existence.
    Tracks like Truckin ,were played in urban clubs ,households and house parties/social events from the time when they came out. Disco ,being a multi cultural "genre" ,combined dancable Pop and thru the older DJ's ,dancable R&B. Later ,when the mixing of tracks allowed there to be extended versions ,the fact that it was a dancefloor hit ,made it a prime track for a remix or extended mix. It is in fact though ,Funk.
    That's it Daddyacey, you got it! You see, Eddie Kendricks' "Girl You Need A Change of Mind" has been called the record that unofficially started the "Disco Age or Era". It became a very popular dance record in New York City in the early 70's.

Cheers Daddyacey.

Whatever the category, it's a tremendous piece of music.

certainly George McCrae's single 'Rock your baby' has always been known as the record that started the disco era.

I was too young to go to nightclubs when Eddie's 'keep on truckin' was released, but I've never known it to be a disco track - perhaps the older guys from London [[the velvelettes man for example) may know more than me about it.

Actually, Rock The Boat by Hues Corporation is the song that is acknowledged as the first disco record. The thing is, it's not even disco.

Actually, Rock The Boat by Hues Corporation is the song that is acknowledged as the first disco record. The thing is, it's not even disco.
    That's the first I've ever heard of that. And you're right, it's not disco, so whoever believes it's acknowledged as a disco record has fallen out of his tree and hit his head causing it to malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    That's the first I've ever heard of that. And you're right, it's not disco, so whoever believes it's acknowledged as a disco record has fallen out of his tree and hit his head causing it to malfunction.
    I don't know about the U.K., but it has always been widely regarded in the states as the first bona-fide disco hit. While not disco, the song is famous for ushering in a dance called the Latin hustle, later popularized by Van McCoy's "The Hustle" one year later.

There are a LOT of people who have no clue as to what a disco record really is, and they tend to label any Black artist from the 70s, and just anything dancable as disco. Rockers tend to be notorious about this.

I don't know about the U.K., but it has always been widely regarded in the states as the first bona-fide disco hit. While not disco, the song is famous for ushering in a dance called the Latin hustle, later popularized by Van McCoy's "The Hustle" one year later.

There are a LOT of people who have no clue as to what a disco record really is, and they tend to label any Black artist from the 70s, and just anything dancable as disco. Rockers tend to be notorious about this.
    I agree with you about Van McCoy's record "The Hustle". The first time I heard it ,I had just woke up to get ready for school [[I was in High School). It came on CKLW and I didn't pay it much attention to it as I thought it was a commercial. Later on, I heard it again and again. Nice record. I am Black and I hate stereotypes.

Still, can anyone explain what ingredients made a record "Disco"? Was it BPM[[ Beats Per Minute) or something else? I know it had nothing to do with the ethnicity of the artist because a wide variety of people and record companies released "Disco" records between 1974 and 1980. The Sugar Hill Gangs hit "Rappers Delight" was released nationally in 1979 using Chic's "Good Times" as it's backdrop, still that record was called a "Rap Record" but the music was classified as Disco.

I agree with you about Van McCoy's record "The Hustle". The first time I heard it ,I had just woke up to get ready for school [[I was in High School). It came on CKLW and I didn't pay it much attention to it as I thought it was a commercial. Later on, I heard it again and again. Nice record. I am Black and I hate stereotypes.

Still, can anyone explain what ingredients made a record "Disco"? Was it BPM[[ Beats Per Minute) or something else? I know it had nothing to do with the ethnicity of the artist because a wide variety of people and record companies released "Disco" records between 1974 and 1980. The Sugar Hill Gangs hit "Rappers Delight" was released nationally in 1979 using Chic's "Good Times" as it's backdrop, still that record was called a "Rap Record" but the music was classified as Disco.

I'm Black and I hate stereotypes too...except there are certain cases where I think they apply, like with conservatives/republicans! Hahah!

What constitutes a disco record is a question that will never be agreed on. All I know from experience is that those who hate it tend to lump all R&B/funk in as disco. And, i'm sorry if it offends anyone, but I often find that some people who do this are bigots and racists, and may not even realize it.

pshark Guest
    Is there a real definition on how disco music is suppose to sound like? Some say that Soul Mokassa was the first.

But it goes even further than that. In the 60's Go Go clubs were popular. Go Go was just another name for Discotheque.
    Smokey & The Miracles' "Going To A Go Go" can be classified as early disco.

http://www.jahsonic.com/Discotheque.html
    http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/loun...eque-6702.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discoth%C3%A8que#History
    Last edited by pshark; 11-11-2010 at 02:18 AM.

For what it is worth ,from my opinion as a student of Social Science in college ,and an observer of and life expierienced person of world and American ,Pop culture, through the 50's ,60's ,70's and 80's and the term Disco is a no frills generalized term ,who's sole purpose was to make Danceable, Soul and R&B music and anything comparable, acceptable to a Mass audience, of a music of a specific group of people , so that people that were not of that core group that created it ,but liked it, would not feel alienated in doing so. It's the same thing basically that happened with R&B / Blues and the creation of "Rock and Roll. Truthfully , WTF is Rock & Roll ? The Blues with another name. They used to call it "race music". "Covers" made it Rock and Roll. It's the same game with another name. If "Disco" is dead , where the f... did it go????????? Is DISCO just the 118-120 to 130 beat that was prevalent to the70's -80's era. Is it just referring to music played in an era when you went out dancing ,and was provided by "RECORDED MEDIA" ,instead of a "LIVE BAND and VOCALIST"? "Disco" is derived from the French term ,"Discotheque" ,in which the music was provided from records mainly. Can you say that because of that , and technology ,that that is one of the reasons that Music Theory and the playing and teaching/instruction of the art of playing an instrument ,is not a major part of the education process in the school system today?
    It's now 2010 going on 2011 ,and there still exists "clubs" where people go to "Dance". What is that music played in those clubs called today???? Is that or can that be called Disco?????
    Or...............because I raise these questions , make me an old crazy ,lost in the past , azzhole ,that needs to shut up!
    I'm o.k with being an azzhole , I got 50 yrs worth of music to keep me warm.
    "A rose by any other name would still be a rose" But I digress , forgive me.......................

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    For what it is worth ,from my opinion as a student of Social Science in college ,and an observer of and life expierienced person of world and American ,Pop culture, through the 50's ,60's ,70's and 80's and the term Disco is a no frills generalized term ,who's sole purpose was to make Danceable, Soul and R&B music and anything comparable, acceptable to a Mass audience, of a music of a specific group of people , so that people that were not of that core group that created it ,but liked it, would not feel alienated in doing so. It's the same thing basically that happened with R&B / Blues and the creation of "Rock and Roll. Truthfully , WTF is Rock & Roll ? The Blues with another name. They used to call it "race music". "Covers" made it Rock and Roll. It's the same game with another name. If "Disco" is dead , where the f... did it go????????? Is DISCO just the 118-120 to 130 beat that was prevalent to the70's -80's era. Is it just referring to music played in an era when you went out dancing ,and was provided by "RECORDED MEDIA" ,instead of a "LIVE BAND and VOCALIST"? "Disco" is derived from the French term ,"Discotheque" ,in which the music was provided from records mainly. Can you say that because of that , and technology ,that that is one of the reasons that Music Theory and the playing and teaching/instruction of the art of playing an instrument ,is not a major part of the education process in the school system today?
    It's now 2010 going on 2011 ,and there still exists "clubs" where people go to "Dance". What is that music played in those clubs called today???? Is that or can that be called Disco?????
    Or...............because I raise these questions , make me an old crazy ,lost in the past , azzhole ,that needs to shut up!
    I'm o.k with being an azzhole , I got 50 yrs worth of music to keep me warm.
    "A rose by any other name would still be a rose" But I digress , forgive me.......................

Great, wonderful post Daddy, I was having similar thoughts. What is it that defined "Disco".

I can't believe in 2010 that there are still people who don't know the difference between funk and disco, don't know that
    there were placed called discotheques before the emergence of the genre known as disco just as they were sometimes
    referred to as Go Gos long before there was a genre of that same name, let alone people who don't know that there was
    dance music, dance clubs and dance styles before disco came on the scene... Wow!...
    And Pshark, no offense, dude but Smokey Robinson's Going To A Go Go as early disco?!?!...I couldn't buy that for a penny...
    I actually was shocked to see the notion coming from a fan of the Funk...There are some very well written histories and
    definitions of the genre in print and on the web [[at wikipedia, fyi) and though I can see how arguments are formed some
    others make me laugh. Soul Makossa as the 1st disco record? Well, it was played in discothques and it was Manu Dibango's
    1st international hit so if I'm a hit and miss search engine like microsoft's Bing, I've got the tags 1ST in there and DISCO, so...Bam! Correct! It was!....But the reality is as much as folks liked it [[me included) and as big as a hit it became, it
    wasn't disco. Shit, it wasn't even Makossa. Manu himself admitted that...