Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
I don't know about the U.K., but it has always been widely regarded in the states as the first bona-fide disco hit. While not disco, the song is famous for ushering in a dance called the Latin hustle, later popularized by Van McCoy's "The Hustle" one year later.

There are a LOT of people who have no clue as to what a disco record really is, and they tend to label any Black artist from the 70s, and just anything dancable as disco. Rockers tend to be notorious about this.
I agree with you about Van McCoy's record "The Hustle". The first time I heard it ,I had just woke up to get ready for school [[I was in High School). It came on CKLW and I didn't pay it much attention to it as I thought it was a commercial. Later on, I heard it again and again. Nice record. I am Black and I hate stereotypes.

Still, can anyone explain what ingredients made a record "Disco"? Was it BPM[[ Beats Per Minute) or something else? I know it had nothing to do with the ethnicity of the artist because a wide variety of people and record companies released "Disco" records between 1974 and 1980. The Sugar Hill Gangs hit "Rappers Delight" was released nationally in 1979 using Chic's "Good Times" as it's backdrop, still that record was called a "Rap Record" but the music was classified as Disco.