[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    For the record, pardon the pun, I do not wholly agree with the above list and the selections. Too much good stuff was left off and some very obscure garbage was included. See what you think.
    I agree good stuff was left off. This is only 500 songs. You are BOUND to leave stuff off.

I disagree about obscure garbage. Just because you and I may not know a song- that's actually reasonable. We didnt live everywhere, listen to every radio station and go to every club.
    But the list was compiled by everybody who did.
    What's unreasonable [[and a bit presumptuous) is the "I dont know it/or I dont like it- therefore it must be garbage" conclusion.

That list was put together was a long time ago. I'll bet [[as a member/visitor of DM.C) that if the subject was brought up in 2010- the list would look very different. As different as a Motown top 500 list would look [[as an example) if you did it a decade apart?

I live in NYC. I am surprised sometimes when records we took for granted- ROCKED some club in Canada or San Francisco. But it happened. And just because it didnt happen in NYC dosnt make it less valid. Big world out there.....

You know how many records came out of the Chicago Disco scene that I STILL have never heard that people revere and pay HUGE money for when the 12" comes up on eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by honest opinions View Post
    I agree good stuff was left off. This is only 500 songs. You are BOUND to leave stuff off.

I disagree about obscure garbage. Just because you and I may not know a song- that's actually reasonable. We didnt live everywhere, listen to every radio station and go to every club.
    But the list was compiled by everybody who did.
    What's unreasonable [[and a bit presumptuous) is the "I dont know it/or I dont like it- therefore it must be garbage" conclusion.

That list was put together was a long time ago. I'll bet [[as a member/visitor of DM.C) that if the subject was brought up in 2010- the list would look very different. As different as a Motown top 500 list would look [[as an example) if you did it a decade apart?

I live in NYC. I am surprised sometimes when records we took for granted- ROCKED some club in Canada or San Francisco. But it happened. And just because it didnt happen in NYC dosnt make it less valid. Big world out there.....

You know how many records came out of the Chicago Disco scene that I STILL have never heard that people revere and pay HUGE money for when the 12" comes up on eBay?
    Great points Honest Opinions. I too am in NYC, but at the time of the Disco Era I was mostly in Detroit, Denver,Toledo,Philly and Canada and partied in NYC. There were songs that you had to have to have a party in Detroit that are not on this list. I know they had different favorites over in Europe and elsewhere.

Three of my favorite disco songs are not very well known - but should be remembered.

1. I Got The Next Dance With You - Denise Williams
    2. Star Love - Cheryl Lynn
    3. Dance - Paul Jabara

All 3 of them filled the dance floor down in Washington DC during the day. Now you have to search for them since they are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Three of my favorite disco songs are not very well known - but should be remembered.

These two songs are very well-known, at least in the R&B world...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    These two songs are very well-known, at least in the R&B world...

Oh yeah, those got a lot of play when they first hit.

Hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post

3. Dance - Paul Jabara

All 3 of them filled the dance floor down in Washington DC during the day. Now you have to search for them since they are hard to come by.
    The album "When love comes calling" by Deniece Williams, was issued this week on CD. It contains the single mix, album mix and the 12" disco mix of "I've got the next dance".

Star love is available as a download from Amazon [[the 7 minutes + version) and there is also a version on the newly released CD "The best of" [[the CD was issued August 30). Don't know the length of the track on that CD though.

The track 'Dance' by Paul Jabara from his first album "Shut Out" isn't yet available on CD. It is hoped that the CD will be issued before too long.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    The album "When love comes calling" by Deniece Williams, was issued this week on CD. It contains the single mix, album mix and the 12" disco mix of "I've got the next dance".

Star love is available as a download from Amazon [[the 7 minutes + version) and there is also a version on the newly released CD "The best of" [[the CD was issued August 30). Don't know the length of the track on that CD though.

The track 'Dance' by Paul Jabara from his first album "Shut Out" isn't yet available on CD. It is hoped that the CD will be issued before too long.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for this info. I actually have all three tracks but am excited to find that Denise Williams When Love Comes Calling is now out on cd. I really enjoyed that one and will definitely pick that cd up. I Got The Next Dance was featured on a cd compilation called Let's Dance which I'm sure is now OOP. The Cheryl Lynn track was on her first album which was released on cd many, many years ago. Paul Jabara had a compilation cd that contained tracks from all of this albums and contains Dance. Again, long out of print.

Also, I would love to find the Melba Moore cd This Is It. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that album. I heard it was released on cd but have never been able to find it. This Is It was a great dance floor piece.
    Last edited by thommg; 10-31-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added postscript