[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have to state first ,that I got a big problem with the label of "Disco" being applied to a good portion of the tracks listed above.
    A good 90% of them are just plain old danceable R&B/Funk music. A good portion of them are complex ,multi layered compositions that reflect the infuence of Jazz ,Soul ,R&B and Classical elements ,when you "Really" listen to them. The designation of "Disco" to me ,is a generalized ,commercial term for music that ,only but for the fact that they were played in the clubs, they were put into that label or designation. " Swearin' To God - Frankie Valli", while not a "Funky" track ,is in fact a big band track with jazz influence in its full form. An aural ass kicker. Jimmy Bo Horns ,"Is it In" for example ,is just pure nasty ass Funk ,yet it is considered "Disco". The Petrus/Malvasi ,Gregg Diamond and Georgio M tracks were as in sync to the U.S. market as the Italian "western movies" were with Eastwood etc. They are pure Funk/ R&B with a little classical sweetening. Just listen to the layers of those tracks ,they kick ass equal to the tracks coming out of Philly and L.A.'s Solar product on the heels of Philly's G&H and B.H.Y. Yet they are classified as "Disco" ,alongside bullshit as "Disco Lucy" ,"Disco Duck" ,etc. Disco , is a bad word to me ,and mind you ,I admit to having 90% of all those in the posted list ,so I agree with what you said Marv.
    "heartbeat" and "Over Like A Fat Rat" ,for example are just to Funky to be considered "Disco" , by any means.
    And lets not even consider what is coined ,"Pre-Disco".
    And....as far as the "T.M. mix was concerned , he was like the gourmet butcher ,that trimmed the choice fat and presented the choice parts of the meat for the chefs,who were the Dj's ,and enabled them to serve to the public ,the choice parts of each selection. I don't believe what is considered "Disco" in its popular term ,is not what he intended it to be. I think it goes deeper than that ,and thats why I think he has been silent about this.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 10-29-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: after thought