[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I always thought that PIR should and could so easily have overtaken Motown. I loved the Stylistics - they were just sensational. Generally, most things from PIR were good releases [[Three Degrees of course has just been issued on CD). However Stax.... probably not so keen.

I guess by the time Donna Summer was making her mark all over Europe, Sylvester had come into my life, as had Karen Young with her Hot Shot, and yet to arrive were Lime, Carol Jiani, France Gall, Yvonne Elliman with Love Pains, Sharon Redd, Odyssey, Dynasty, Imagination, Shalamar, Change, Divine.... oh yes, the amazing Divine!

Now those were the days of endless happiness!
    What planet were you on in the early 70? PIR did take over Motown! For a good time, PIR could do no wrong! The O'Jays, Three degrees, Billy Paul, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, and let's not forget MFSB! They had perhaps the best and best-known instrumental of the 70s, and that track was the theme from Soul Train for it's 1974 season! The best Motown could do is the occasional hit from Jackson Five, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, or The Temptations. PIR fizzled out after 1975, with only tew or three hits after that because of internal friction between the writers and Gamble & Huff. Overall, the Philly sound was still quite alive. MFSB could still be heard on hits by Stylistics, Spinners, Salsoul Orchestra, and The Ritchie Family.

Stax? Bad business moves killed them off. Their loss, Columbia's gain: The Emotions and Johnnie Taylor.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.