[REMOVE ADS]

John Ellison -- Soul Brothers Six in UK this week

John Ellison, the Soul Bros 6 lead singer is in the UK this week to play 3 shows.
    I'm gonna see him Sunday in Reading but he's on before that up north.
    John was born in West Virginnia, relocated to Rochester [[where he joined the Soul Bros 5 to make them the Soul Bros 6). The group played loads of live gigs around the Rochester area and had 45's out via local labels / contacts [[Fine / Lyndell). They were signed by Atlantic and went to Philly to record. Some fine tracks & a big hit [["Some Kind of Wonderful) soon followed. But the group fell out of favour at Atlantic and so next signed with Phil LA of Soul back in Philly. More tracks escaped but in 1972, John split from the group and relocated to Hamilton [[Canada). He had a 45 out in Canada on GRT [["Dazz") and continued to play live.
    He got on with his life and got more into his other interest in life, food. He turned to playing the blues circuit whilst developing a food company. He did well in both fields and has played numerous blues gigs across Canada, the US & Europe. He got back into recording around 25 years ago and has had 3/4 albums out in that time. He wrote a book about his life & this is still available.
    As I said he's here in the UK this week & I for one can't wait to see him perform.
    BTW, the other members of the SB6 are spread across the US now. Ex member Lester Freeman lives in the Tampa area of Florida and he also still performs [[or did up until the last couple of years).

Attachment 7238

Joss Stone singing the group's big hit .............

Glad to know John Ellison is still kicking. I detest that Grand Funk Railroad cover of Some Kind Of Wonderful, because they got the hit that should have been Ellison's. Plus, it's weak. The original is a houseshaker. It was a hot record in Detroit.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.

............ AND ...............
    Grand Funk's blatant rip off of the SB^'s version ............

Fine Studios in Rochester [[who ran Fine Records & Belmont Records) had been around since at least thelate40's and had cut R&R tracks back in the day.
    Info here on the set-up ....... http://www.finerecordingstudio.com/
    It seems that quite a few gospel acts used the studios plus soul outfits such as Lee Taylor & Soul Twisters, Candy [[William Stephenson) & the Whalers + The Darling Dears.
    Anyone here know much else about the place and their artists [[info on any other soul acts who used the studios) ?
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-24-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Some of the soul & gospel 45's released on Fine Records .............
    Joe Carter And The Pilgrim Gospel Singers "When I Call Mother Pt.1/ Pt. 2" 1957
    Royal Harmonizer Singers "Peace In The Valley / I Want To Know" 1962
    Soul Brothers Six "I Don't Want To Cry / Move Girl" 1966
    Bible Aires Spiritual Singers [[Belle Aires) "How He Died On Cavalry / You Better Get Ready" 1967
    The B.C. Harmonizers "You Ought To Been There / There Will Be No More Tomorrow" 1969
    Taylor, Lee & Soul Twisters, LTD. "151 Rome Proof / Girl's Games" 1970
    Full Gospel Fellowship [[Youth Choir Of Rochester, NY) "When I Call Mother Pt.1/ Pt. 2" 1970
    Candy And The Whalers "Rebecca, Get Your Basket / The Devil Is Gonna Get you!" 1970
    The Bright Clouds "Certainly Lord / Someone Is Knocking At Your Door!"
    The Spiritual Jubilators "No Graves / Precious Lord" 1971
    The Sons Of David "There's A Man Taking Names / My Work Will Be Done" 1971
    The Gospel Tones "Moses / Sinner Man" 1972
    The Darling Dears Feat. Funky Heavy Prod. "I Don't Think I'll Ever Love Another / And I Love You" 1972
    The Gospel Tone Spiritual Singers "What Manner Of Man Is This / Where Could I Go, But To The Lord!" 1973
    The Gospel Hi-Lites "Too Far To Turn Around / Ease My Troublin' Mind" 1973
    J.J.&J. Modernaires "My Life Will Be Sweeter / Servant Of The Lord" 1974
    The Pentecostalaires "Make Me Humble / The Lord Is Ever Near" 1975
    A.M.C. Male Chorus "He's Sweet I Know / Is God Satisfied With Me?" 1975
    The Inspirational Gospel Singers "I Feel The Spirit / The Same Thing It Took"

There's a 45 on the Sugarville label that purports to be a DJ promo copy. This features the SB6 "Some Kind Of Wonderful" on one side with Archie Bell's "Showdown" on the other.
    Guess this was a later pressed bootleg 45 but anyone here know the circumstances behind this strange 7" release.
    The SB6 had at least 5 x Atlantic 45's released in the UK, most of them featuring "Some Kind of Wonderful".
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-25-2013 at 04:09 AM.

I am a fan of Grand Funk's version, as well as the original.
    IMO, Mark farner is in better voice today than John is.

I have to go with Kamasu, I also hate the Grand Funk version.
    Mind you the group does have some soul connections; they grew out of Cleveland related outfit Terry Knight & the Pack. When Terry Knight had HIS big hit, he went on tour to promote / cash in on its success and Cleveland's Lou Ragland was in his band at that time.

Just back from John Ellison's show in Reading.
    He only arrived in the UK on Friday morning & this [[Sunday evening) was his 4th British show [[1 Friday, 1 Saturday & 2 today).
    He arrived late due to traffic problems & an unbelievable tight schedule [[he only got off the stage in Derby at 7.40pm & had over 100 mile drive to get to the Reading venue).
    The rush didn't effect him though and he put on a really great show [[for a smallish sized audience ..... well 6,200 NS fans were up at the Weekender in Skegness). Not only did he sing great but he then went straight into a 'meet & greet' signing session and posed for photos with his fans. A great & friendly guy who's still got a good voice, even at the age of 72.
    He's on the plane back to the US tomorrow morning ... AND ... then hopefully will have the chance to catch his breath and take a rest .
    Attachment 7244

I remember this song very well. It's just now occurring to me that this song sounds just like how gospel was sung when I was a teen back in the late 60s.

It's the B side of the SB6's big hit that the UK NSers have always loved best of all ....