[REMOVE ADS]

"When Your Young and In Love" with spoken monologue

Does anyone think the new vaulted track of "When your young and in Love" with the spoken monologue in the beginning on the Marvelettes Complete LP's Volume 2, would have been a bigger hit than the original release of 1967, and I believe has did Catherine of the Marvelettes feel that was Gladys on the spoken track, while Juanita thought it was Wanda? Wanda did the lead of course. Has anyone ever heard Wanda's speaking voice on record. I think that track is far more superior than the 1967 release the spoken part adds an excitement to the rest of the record.

It does kinda sound like Gladys on the spoken intro. Take a listen to "Now Is The Time For Love" from the In Full Bloom album. The spoken intro on that is Wanda for sure and the voices sound a little different.

I really don't think the spoken intro would have increased the chart action by much. It does add a special extra flavor to the song though!
    Last edited by soulballad; 09-21-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Does anyone think the new vaulted track of "When your young and in Love" with the spoken monologue in the beginning on the Marvelettes Complete LP's Volume 2, would have been a bigger hit than the original release of 1967, and I believe has did Catherine of the Marvelettes feel that was Gladys on the spoken track, while Juanita thought it was Wanda? Wanda did the lead of course. Has anyone ever heard Wanda's speaking voice on record. I think that track is far more superior than the 1967 release the spoken part adds an excitement to the rest of the record.
    Fran, I liked the version with the spoken monologue better than the released version. Would it have been a bigger hit? I think it would have been.

Thanks Marvin as alway you are up on all these matters, Gladys or Wanda I hear Gladys.

smark21 Guest
    On the subject of spoken word segments, I think it’s a shame Flo and Mary didn’t get spoken word parts on Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone.

Isn't there a a flub in the spoken intro at arôund the 8 second mark which would explain why it was shelved? And I think it's Wanda doing the spoken intro. I hear her take a breath and begin singing.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.

where is the flub, does not sound like Wanda at all. listen to "I need someone' monologue at the end Gladys same here. I met Gladys i know her speaking or spoken word voice. She would leave these long voice messages on my answering machine s she was a charm and a great team leadere I might add.

"I feel as though...well." She feels as though she could do what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    "I feel as though...well." She feels as though she could do what?
    there is more to it well to me there seems to be "Spring in the Air".........I don't see the flub this is a wonderful addition to the song and Gladys [[spoken) and Wanda's [[singing) nailed it. andantes or no andantes at least with the Marvelettes Gladys and Wanda were active participants when the Andantes were used, which was a reason for Catherine to air her grips rightly and justly so on TV1.

naw I don't think it would have changed sales

supremester Guest
    Fran: It's cool you have VM's to compare so I'll go with your expertise. It sounds like Wanda to me, but I'm not an authority on The Marvelettes at all. I do love this record, but think the spoken intro is rather clumsy, makes no sense in the middle and totally destroys the lure of the exquisite intro. Maybe in a bridge in the middle it might have worked, but over the intro, I don't think it would have gone top 50.

Clumsy, that's a good wôrd fôr it.

supremester Guest
    Mary's spoken voice/articulation back then was pretty rough and think it would have been a grave mistake to use her on a released version. Flo, however........ she might have added some sass to it that could have been fun. It would be great to have them that as an alternate version today. Ross' cadence is exactly as HDH had Smokey do on Come Around Here, I wonder if Flo would have stuck to that or did her own thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    On the subject of spoken word segments, I think it’s a shame Flo and Mary didn’t get spoken word parts on Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Fran: It's cool you have VM's to compare so I'll go with your expertise. It sounds like Wanda to me, but I'm not an authority on The Marvelettes at all. I do love this record, but think the spoken intro is rather clumsy, makes no sense in the middle and totally destroys the lure of the exquisite intro. Maybe in a bridge in the middle it might have worked, but over the intro, I don't think it would have gone top 50.
    I like the intro right where it is, but you have a point it may have worked in the middle as well, and I love the idea of the monolgoue in the song. The original version of the song went to #23 with the monolgouge place anywhere would have made it more exciting no matter where it was place. Gladys did four monologues that I can recall. I need someone, Too Many Fish in the Sea,, Mix It Up, and When your young and in Love [[newly released version) and I have met her in person in 1999 at the Vocal Group hall of Fame with Catherine and Juanita. She also states she sang background with Catherine on a couple of tunes on the Sophisticated Soul album before she left the group which were recorded in 1967 one was the Stranger and Your Love Can Save Me.

Here's the SPOKEN INTRO version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHH2c3HCAI

Posted on YouTube by Adrian Fisher.

Thanks Methuselah2, for the link, for reference.

franjoy56, I'd say Gladys is also singing background on "Don't Make Hurtin' Me A Habit", [[if, of course she was still with the group when the song was recorded) maybe Wanda too [[I hear both) as I seem to think The Marvelettes often all sang background, generally in unison as opposed to harmonies, on their later recordings. Impossible to say for sure of course, so could be wrong.

Wikipedia entry for "Sophisticated Soul" says Gladys sang background on "You're The One", but I'd say that's just The Andantes - but then, that's Wikipedia for you...

It's been reported that Gladys was also on background vocals for '"Destination: Anywhere". I can't say I hear her, just The Andantes, although I believe Ashford & Simpson often sang background on their compositions, so they may be there also.

And just to disagree with you in a friendly way but, even though you've received VMs from Gladys, I still would have said that's definitely Wanda's speaking voice on the spoken intro for "When You're Young And In Love". It doesn't matter too much now who it is, and I agree it makes for a very attractive, interesting and longer alternative version - especially as the background Marvelettes voices are very slightly more prominent in places than on the issued recording
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-22-2013 at 08:32 AM.

supremester Guest
    I checked with one of 3 Marvelettes experts that I know. He is definite on it being Wanda. Won't even discuss it. Joseph? Chazzy?

I checked with one of 3 Marvelettes experts that I know. He is definite on it being Wanda. Won't even discuss it. Joseph? Chazzy?
    He is right. It is Wanda on the spoken intro, but you can't tell some people anything. They believe what they want to.

He is right. It is Wanda on the spoken intro, but you can't tell some people anything. They believe what they want to.
    Thats right you can't tell some people [[anything) so since I beleive it is Gladys I am going to reach out to Gladys son Thornton Vaughn and find out for sure. These people you speak about were they in the studio when the monologue was recorded, I have never heard Wanda's speaking voice on a song other than what you claim she is on here, on the other hand I have Gladys on three not three four and they all sound the same as the latest monologue end of story.

I just sent Gladys son a friend request on Facebook and as soon as he accepts I will pose the question to him I am sure he has the latest Marvelettes Complete Albums Vol 2. and if I am
    wrong I will politely apologize.

How about an opinion from a true and bonafide Marvelettes expert like Marc Taylor or Harry Weinger?

supremester Guest
    Ya know, we can't change opinions because of other's opinions cuz they are just opinions, everyone's vote is interesting to me and this is a fun 'n friendly discourse. Marv probably has a friend who was there, so we should be hearing from him soon. Right now, I'm watching The Emmys with Diana and Mary at Michelle Ballard's luxury condo and they are at each other's throat over this. Diana says it's Wanda, Mary says it's Gladys and is pissed at ME for "siding with Diane, AS USUAL!" Personally, even tho I'm asking my Marvelous Experts, I'll still hope to get a definitive from Harry or Andy whom I have REACHed OUT to.

supremester Guest
    "it is Wanda" per text from Andrew Skurrow last night. I'm sold.

Sounds like Wanda to me. It also doesn't make sense why they would have Gladys just do that little spoken intro and have Wanda sing the rest of the song. I don't see how asking Gladys' son would make a difference, do you think she tucked him in bed one night and said "Son, many years ago the Marvelettes and I recorded a song called 'When You're Young and In Love' and I recorded a spoken intro that was cut out of the final release of the song, keep this in mind in case someone ever wants to ask you"?

supremester Guest
    Well, in important matters such as these, we need to root out every possible snip of info, so Gladys' son is better than not. It doesn't make sense to have used Gladys, but maybe her voice was better suited to it. Why use The Andantes on Stop! 45? Producers tinker until they get every nuance correct. I have a bud who knows Michael Masser quite well. He told me how one day Masser invited him over to hear something fantastic. He played him Greatest Love of All. It was already #1. My bud said, "hey I know this song - what are you talking about?" Masser said he had been remixing it for a week and its now almost perfect. I've heard he is quite the perfectionist, but I can see using different voices. Barbara doing the speaking on He's 17. I was beginning to think it was Gladys, but Andy doesn't make things up or answer if he is not certain, so I'm convinced.

Well, in important matters such as these, we need to root out every possible snip of info, so Gladys' son is better than not. It doesn't make sense to have used Gladys, but maybe her voice was better suited to it. Why use The Andantes on Stop! 45? Producers tinker until they get every nuance correct. I have a bud who knows Michael Masser quite well. He told me how one day Masser invited him over to hear something fantastic. He played him Greatest Love of All. It was already #1. My bud said, "hey I know this song - what are you talking about?" Masser said he had been remixing it for a week and its now almost perfect. I've heard he is quite the perfectionist, but I can see using different voices. Barbara doing the speaking on He's 17. I was beginning to think it was Gladys, but Andy doesn't make things up or answer if he is not certain, so I'm convinced.
    I just heard from Gladys son who told me he was going to research it and get back to me, I don't care what Andrew or Harry weinger said unless there is proof that it was not Glaldys voice, they were not there I would like to hear from someone like Smokey Robinson or Weatherspoon who were there when the track was laid. This is what he said to me:
    Vaughn Thornton Hey Frances, nice to meet you! In matter of fact, while going through her things, I've seen your name several times. That is a good question, but I'm not sure if that's my mom's voice or not. I'll research and find out. My mom had such a strong voice that if it sounded like Gladys, then most likely it's Gladys. That's a nice trivia question. I'll get to you once I find out, thanks.

[[and finally if it is Wanda i will apologize, but i am not convinced yet, Wanda had a southern droll to her voice)

smark21 Guest
    It’s certainly not unusual for a group to have one member sing lead while another does a spoken word part on a song. Otis Williams did the spoken word parts on The Temptations’ “Masterpiece” and the male spoken voice part on “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”. Barbara Martin performed the spoken word bit on “He’s Seventeen” while Diana sang lead. Cindy Birdsong did the spoken word bit on “The Wisdom of Time” while Jean Terrell sang lead. And in the 90s, Expose covered “End of the World” with Jeannette Jurado on lead vocal while Ann Curless handled the spoken word bit.

supremester Guest
    Hey Fran, it will be interesting to see what Vaughn says. I don't see a reason for apologies in this thread, we just all are hearing something differently. I'm guessing that Andy has heard the spoken word segment by itself and it might even be labeled as Wanda. I'll ask. I was hoping this thread would turn into Diana vs Mary but it hasn't happened yet. What's wrong with you people???

Hey, it's like I said, some people can't be told anything- even if it's logical and makes sense, they only want to believe what they want to. I'm done. I will stop responding to posts like this.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-23-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Having listened carefully to all the Marvelettes records over the years, I think I'm pretty good at picking out the difference in Gladys' and Wanda's voices...which admittedly could sound a lot alike. I think where the speaker says "I'm so excited," it sounds very much like Gladys. Anyway, I do think it's Gladys at the beginning, but only until the part where the speaker starts to say "To me, there seems to be...'spring in the air' [[where the first verse starts)" I think starting with the "To me..." it is Wanda at that point. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Poor Flo. Never had a chance.

Thats right you can't tell some people [[anything) so since I beleive it is Gladys I am going to reach out to Gladys son Thornton Vaughn and find out for sure. These people you speak about were they in the studio when the monologue was recorded, I have never heard Wanda's speaking voice on a song other than what you claim she is on here, on the other hand I have Gladys on three not three four and they all sound the same as the latest monologue end of story.
    Well Gladys Hortons son sure as heck wasnt in the studio with her and so im sure Andy Skurrow knows more than Vaughn Thornton just as i would say Vaughen and Penny know more about beauty products and face creams than Andy Skurrow.

Roberta

I thought it was Wanda as soon as I heard it.I think its too over the top for a commercial release back then & thats why it was cut.Motown knew how to sell 45's.

I think it's Wanda as well, but I'm kind of used to the track without the spoken intro.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Having listened carefully to all the Marvelettes records over the years, I think I'm pretty good at picking out the difference in Gladys' and Wanda's voices...which admittedly could sound a lot alike. I think where the speaker says "I'm so excited," it sounds very much like Gladys. Anyway, I do think it's Gladys at the beginning, but only until the part where the speaker starts to say "To me, there seems to be...'spring in the air' [[where the first verse starts)" I think starting with the "To me..." it is Wanda at that point. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    I think you are right on that point but I will check in with Vaughn to see if he answered me. I don't go by labels on tapes. Hey Supremester no Diana vs. Mary dirt here ha ha ha.

Oh please Roberta, Vaughn lived with Gladys all his life don't you think he would know her voice even though he was born after the song was recorded. Give me a break. His Mother is his Mother and her voice certainly didn't change at all during the 70's when he was growing up from 1967 when the song hit.

Oh please Roberta, Vaughn lived with Gladys all his life don't you think he would know her voice even though he was born after the song was recorded. Give me a break. His Mother is his Mother and her voice certainly didn't change at all during the 70's when he was growing up from 1967 when the song hit.
    please nothing sweetheart. If he was that sure he would have said yes and wouldnt have had to research it and get back to you would he?

I agree...he would hear nuances and cadences in her voice that we don't notice, being that it was his mother.