[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TCMSC Vol 12 B

Amazon Uk dispatched mine today. £24.74 can't wait!

Just had conformation that my auto rip is ready for download .......... Best listen out for the postman for the next day or so !

Back in stock at Amazon UK ...... £60.63 ...... Ouch ! [[3rd Party Sellers)
    Last edited by backflipboy; 01-06-2014 at 06:43 AM.

received mine today.
    Had a quick look through book........felt extremely sad at how Motown had fallen.

Got an email I assume from Hiposelect that my order was re-stocked. Assume they are talking about 12b

Sorry to read that people have been having delivery problems with Hip-O-Select. I always order from them and have never had any problems. I received 12B many weeks ago. I confess that I haven't listened to it yet though.

LOL@ Reese; well I listened to part of 12A. The Good Old Days were clearly slipping away. It wasn't 1966 and it sure was a slip from 1970.

Got mine today. Never thought I'd actually see it, to be honest, but I'm incredibly pleased. Hats off to Harry, Keith and Bill and everyone who made this happen, it's the greatest music series that has ever been released.

And for the naysayers... I thoroughly enjoyed 12A, and from preliminary listens I'm enjoying 12B a lot too. Yes, it's not 1966, it's not even 1970, but it's kind of the start of a new Motown and a new musical journey, which is very different but still really interesting. But then, I like Seventies soul, I like disco, I like pretty much everything, really.

It's been my intention on Motown Junkies right from the start to carry on through 1988, though I'm currently missing quite a number of released records and all the unreleased ones. If someone with Motown's blessing did somehow find the time and energy [[and, y'know, money) to do a Volume 13A and so on, even if it was a download-only thing, I'd be right at the front of the queue. Hell, I'd happily volunteer to help, if there was anything at all I could do.

But if this is the end, it's been magnificent. Thanks again, everyone.

I got mine yesterday and spent last night loading the CDs up to my ipod, ready to listen to at work today. The package on this is as good as the previous 13 issues, with the additional notes on the creation of the series something of an added bonus. It’s interesting to read about the work that goes into making these packages the undoubted delight they have been, from the first to the last.

It also goes some way to explaining why download only editions, should they ever appear, would be something of a disappointment – the background stories on how the singles were recorded or came to be released are part of the attraction, at least for me, and all of this would be lost if we only had the songs themselves. I can honestly say that I’ve never bought a download in my life – I’ve only ever downloaded material when I’ve received a voucher [[7 Digital did a deal with the Fullers brewery a couple of years ago and you got one voucher for every pint – I got enough to download some five albums, but enough about my drinking habits…..), since I prefer to have the physical product wherever possible.

So, if this it to be the end of the Complete Motown Singles, then at least it bowed out at the top.

Hotspurman
    If you bought it from Amazon you can get all the tracks downloaded to a device/devices free as well as the physical cd. Amazon cloud, download it and then Amazon loads up all the cds you ever bought from them against your account details. I ended up with over 1000 tracks from a heap of tcms, cellarfulls and connersewer , Tammi and a load more cds. Play them anytime, anywhere. Make mine dry with an olive! Green one that's been stoned please Hawkeye.

The whole TCMS has been a dream come true. Never thought that I'd ever see anything like this series of box sets. When I first saw the early ones on Amazon back in 05 I couldn't believe my eyes. I was in an internet café and shouted out "what"?! I didn't think I'd ever be able to stump up enough cash for each one either. Amazon's prices have been very good. the most I paid was £62 for vol 1 [[Record shop in York), the others were 44- 52 and all Amazon or Amazon sellers except for the last under £25! The books are works of art, really interesting. I really like the ex Motown peoples memories at the beginning. The only thing I don't like is the way the cds are housed and I cringe everytime I get one out scared stupid I'm going to scratch it. Other than that if somebody asked how would you want a set like this doing it would be exactly what we got.

radionixon is spot on, TCMS is the best collection/music release/body of work that's ever been put out. It will ever be equalled.
    Thanks to all concerned that worked on the series, especially the guy who thought of it.

Here Here
    Wonderful project from all concerned.

Tamla is right and puts it nicely. I am only missing 12B which I'll get sooner or later. It's been very fortunate for us to have that series.

Harry or Keith,

i'm curious..... What happened with the songwriting credit for Disc 72 , Tracks 16 & 18, '[[The Good Things) Where Was I When Love Came By'?
    When recorded by Martha Reeves and finally released on "Martha Reeves & the Vandellas- Spellbound:Motown Lost & Found", Henry Cosby's name is the first of 3 songwriters listed, yet for the Naturals' version [[along with the title revision) his name is visibly absent.
    Perhaps Sessus & Fekaris pulled a fast one, as Martha's version had been unreleased.....

I'm also surprised that there was no mention of Martha's version in the write-up; this seems to go contrary to the normal pattern of promotion for other Hip-O/Motown Select collections.

Is it just my copy... or has anyone else noticed the [[and I hope that I'm using the correct term) the clipping of certain songs at their beginning.
    As it just played , I'll use it as an example - the transition from Disc 72 Track 12 Eddie Kendricks 'If You Let Me' to 'Just Memories" . The music and lyrics play , but the entry point is jarring. I've noticed it on several other songs as well.
    The stereo promo version of Edwin Starr's 'Who Is The Leader Of the People' has the same jarring start.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 01-09-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Is anyone else hearing anything Jean Terrell-ish in Michelle Aller's voice and vocal style?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Is it just my copy... or has anyone else noticed the [[and I hope that I'm using the correct term) the clipping of certain songs at their beginning.
    As it just played , I'll use it as an example - the transition from Disc 72 Track 12 Eddie Kendricks 'If You Let Me' to 'Just Memories" . The music and lyrics play , but the entry point is jarring. I've noticed it on several other songs as well.
    The stereo promo version of Edwin Starr's 'Who Is The Leader Of the People' has the same jarring start.
    I didn't notice anything unusual between the two Eddie Kendricks tracks. There is only about 2 seconds of "dead space" between the tracks, however. I'm going to listen to the Edwin Starr track. But what do you mean exactly by "jarring," Carole?

There’s a small problem with the Amazon Cloud – I use Amazon to buy birthday and Christmas gifts for friends and family, all of which they load up to my Cloud, so in amongst the Motown bits and pieces I buy for myself, there are the last six or seven Now albums [[presents for my daughter), the complete Arctic Monkeys catalogue [[presents for my son) and a couple of Michael Buble albums [[presents for the wife), none of which I am remotely interested in listening to. The last two Complete Motown Singles packages were bought for me by my daughter, who no doubt has them loaded up on her Cloud!

Can you not download them from "her" cloud and then upload them to yours? I downloaded the Motown unreleased 1963 from the itunes site onto my computer and then uploaded them to my cloud.

You can access the Amazon cloud [[ you can nominate the ones you want) from different devices. No idea how to do it, there is a help page though.

Reading Hotspursman post about unwanted presents on his cloud warns me not to buy anything for anyone ever!

Gong back to the actual TCMS 12b - there is a picture of The Naturals in the booklet, but no indication in the write-up as to who exactly is who in the picture. Any one have any ideas who the four gentlemen are - I'm assuming one is John Barnett and another is Edward Arrington Jr., but I've no idea which they are or who the other two group members are.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I didn't notice anything unusual between the two Eddie Kendricks tracks. There is only about 2 seconds of "dead space" between the tracks, however. I'm going to listen to the Edwin Starr track. But what do you mean exactly by "jarring," Carole?
    Hi Kenneth, Sorry for the late response, but I finally figured it out. I was travelling about today & listened to the cd in question in the car- and it played perfectly. Obviously the computer cd player is either getting very sensitive or may need to have the laser lens cleaned. Sorry for the confusion .

Quote Originally Posted by radionixon View Post
    Got mine today. Never thought I'd actually see it, to be honest, but I'm incredibly pleased. Hats off to Harry, Keith and Bill and everyone who made this happen, it's the greatest music series that has ever been released.

And for the naysayers... I thoroughly enjoyed 12A, and from preliminary listens I'm enjoying 12B a lot too. Yes, it's not 1966, it's not even 1970, but it's kind of the start of a new Motown and a new musical journey, which is very different but still really interesting. But then, I like Seventies soul, I like disco, I like pretty much everything, really.

It's been my intention on Motown Junkies right from the start to carry on through 1988, though I'm currently missing quite a number of released records and all the unreleased ones. If someone with Motown's blessing did somehow find the time and energy [[and, y'know, money) to do a Volume 13A and so on, even if it was a download-only thing, I'd be right at the front of the queue. Hell, I'd happily volunteer to help, if there was anything at all I could do.

But if this is the end, it's been magnificent. Thanks again, everyone.
    It HAS been magnificent and Ive said as much on the TCMS thread but i am a definite nay sayer on the 12b volume which I do have. At least 70 per cent is very poor to these ears.

Oh, I totally accept it's not everyone who will feel this way [[and anybody who's read my blog will know I've been known to have, um, unconventional views on what's good!) but I've been having a blast with it, and thought I should say so :-)

I have to confess I've had mine a couple of weeks and not felt the desire to listen to it yet. Still, the series has been an amazing journey and I just couldn't ignore the final installment. But the music of 1972 just isn't 'Motown' to my ears anymore.