[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Nikka Costa

Nikka Costa

Didn't know of this lady till earlier this week when I picked up her 2001 Virgin CD 'Everybody Got Their Something'.
    She's the daughter of famed songwriter / producer Don Costa [[http://www.discogs.com/artist/Don+Co...duction&q=&p=2) and cut some stuff with her dad back in the 80's when still a teenager.
    The CD was really cheap [[£1) and looked interesting, so I bought it & for the money aren't displeased. Quite a funky soul type offering in all with a few really good cuts.
    More info on her here ........
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikka_Costa
    She cut an album that Stax put out in 2008 but seems she's struggled to get a record deal in the last 5 years, so guess she's another decent singer who's been lost to music lovers.
    Her music reminds me a lot of the stuff Bettye Davis and Nona Hendrix were doing in the past [[rocky Funk & soul).

Anyone else know her music & have tracks to recommend ?

I've had Nikki Costa's Everybody Got Their Something since it was first released. An old
    friend gave it to me and I think I've only listened to it maybe 2 or 3 times. 4 if I count briefly
    revisiting a bit of it this morning. She was a decent singer to me but neither a knock out
    or even standout to my ears especially as I have heard so many underated, even obscure
    vocalists in and out of various groups that have floored me. Nikki doesn't remind me at all
    of Nona or Bettye who both had the guts in their voices to match any funk bubbling up
    under them. I suppose I'd do good to try and revisit some of her other material but she
    never established herself firmly enough in any one style to maintain my attention...Not
    bashing her, just stating one man's opinion for the sake of discussion...