[REMOVE ADS]

Soul groups with more than one [[or two ... or more) lead singers

I like The Rolling Stones, but as I was driving and listening to them on the radio the other day I thought, "I tire of hearing only Mick Jagger all the time in this group." Sure, Keith Richards might have a song or two, but he can't sing.

The Beatles had three really good singers and even Ringo [[not a great voice) could add some uniqueness. The Beach Boys had about five guys who could sing lead well. I think both of these legandary rock groups have that advantage over The Rolling Stones.

Looking at my favorite genre -- soul music -- it appears to me the groups with more than one lead stand out. [[I'm talking about vocal groups here, not brass or funk groups.)

The Temptations, especially the classive five lineup, had four guys who could sing lead.

The Blue Notes had Harold Melvin and Teddy Pendergrass.

The O'Jays only have three guys, but two are awesome lead singers.

The Dramatics [[depending on the lineup) were at three or four.

The Spinners [[depending on the lineup) were at 3 and 4.

Even The Stylistics with their powerful lead singer Russell Thompkins, Jr., added Arion Love's lead to mix it up a bit.

Thoughts?

smark21 Guest
    Among the ladies, The Marvelettes had two fine lead singers in Gladys Horton and Wanda Young. And all 4 members of En Vogue were excellent lead vocalists.

The Jackson Five had Jermaine

The Dells also had two lead singers.

Five Star had Deniece on singles and Doris and Lorraine on album tracks even Delroy got one track..

Labelle have Patti & Nona
    5th Dimension
    Isley Brothers
    Pointer Sisters
    Sister Sledge
    Sisters Love
    Undisputed Truth
    Rotary Connection
    Sly & The Family Stone
    Staple Singers

As much as I loved Levi Stubbs' leads with The Four Tops, I also liked Lawrence Payton's leads too. He got solo billing on the sweet "One Woman Man"

Yes but surely one song or two does not a lead singer make otherwise we would have to include the likes of Flo/Mary/Cindy etc.

Shirelles,Marvelettes,OJays

Lets not forget the Manhattans, with the late George "Smitty" Smith and Blue Lovett; and
    Gerald Alston and Blue Lovett.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned the Originals. All four took leads - often all four in one song - and this continued when Ty Hunter replaced CP Spencer.

In their most famous song Baby I'm For Real, Freddie Gorman starts off; Hank Dixon comes next; Walter Gaines with his falsetto next; then the soaring tones of CP. Brilliant song, brilliant group.

Gorman, Spencer and Hunter are dead, Gaines doesn't perform any more, leaving the Marvin Junior tones of Hank Dixon to lead the current Originals line-up.

What about The Soul Children? John "Blackfoot" Colbert, Norman West, Shelbra Bennett and Anita Louis were all first class singers and were continually swapping leads.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Five Keys had Rudy West and Maryland Pierce.

The Temptations, with David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams, all at the same time, with no "token leads" [[Otis Williams' one lead would count for that) were probably the most versatile.

The Drifters DID have more than one lead at the same time while Clyde McPhatter was in the army. I think Bobby Hendricks, David Baughn, Johnny Moore, Bill Pinkney and a couple others had leads during 1956, when all were in the group together.

The Ravens had Jimmy Ricks and Joe Van Loan at the same time.

A lot of other groups had a bass or baritone lead as well as a falsetto or high note lead alternating, or a "ballad" singing lead alternating with a bass or baritone "novelty" or jump blues lead.

The Five Satins had Freddie Parris and Bill Baker.

The Miracles had Smokey and Claudette [[3 leads on songs),

The Platters had Tony Williams and Zola Taylor.

The Majestics/Monitors had Richard Street and Sandra Fagin.

The Superbs had both a male and female lead.

The Vows [[L.A.) had both a male [[Morris Chestnut) and female lead.

Bob B. Soxx [[Bobby Sheen) and Darlene Love were leads of Bob B. Soxx & Blue Jeans.

Motown's Supremes had 3 leads in their early days.

The Contours had several leads along with Billy Gordon.

The Satintones had James Ellis, Vern Williams and Chico Leverett.

I think Terry Johnson alternated with Tommy Hunt on the later Flamingos. I think there was a short overlap with Nate Nelson and Tommy Hunt. I think Sollie McElroy was lead until he left. I don't remember Nate Nelson swapping leads with him.

Johnny Funches and Marvin Junior with The Dells.

I think The Artistics had some lead swapping overlap with Marvin Smith and others.

The Dukays had Gene Chandler and Charles Davis [[Nolan Chance)

The Sheppards [[2nd group) had Murray Eskridge and Millard Edwards swapping leads.

Some more:
    The Ethics
    Tavares [[of course)
    The Whispers
    The Tymes
    The Delfonics [[all three guys)

Going back to Copley's list, I was only thinking the other day how I'd never heard another Isley sing lead besides Ronald. Am I missing a track somewhere?

I love the switch-off leads, which, of course, had a root in Gospel groups. the Tempts were the first group I was aware of this to do this, but apart from some of their early songs [[eg Check Yourself, Farewell my love, then Born To Love You, You're My Everything), they didn't do this consistently until the Whitfield psychesoul era. Rather, they had strong leads who on took individual songs.

The Originals and the Dramatics are my favourites of the groups to switch the leads within the same songs.

The Mad Lads!

Wanda & Sheila carried the Emotions on lead vocals. I'm not sure how Jeanette & Pam sound

pshark Guest
    Chairmen Of The Board
    Jones Girls
    Chi Lites
    The Parliaments

topdiva1 Guest
    The Three Degrees

All those ladies sang leads

Sheila
    Valerie
    and the late Fayette

Unlike other groups of that day - they all shared leads on albums - singles - and the touring show.

I've always liked how the mighty drifters producers would put out a song with a different lead singer and get a hit too...steamboat[gerhart thrasher]..true love,true love[johnny lee williams]!

"Sure, Keith Richards might have a song or two, but he can't sing."
    Hey Tsull, in regards to the above...and Mick CAN???? hahahaha

I am a big fan of the Soul Survivors, esp. the early records with Richie, Charlie and Kenny.

3 Dog Night were PFG, too.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Wanda & Sheila carried the Emotions on lead vocals. I'm not sure how Jeanette & Pam sound
    Pam didn't have any leads but Jeanette sure did. On their first album, So I Can Love You all three ladies traded leads vocals ie Got To Be The Man, I Found My Man, Two Lovers, Daydreams. On the New Affair album Jeanette has a full lead on a song she wrote " When We Gonna Wake Up" and shared leads with Wanda on "Never Be Another Moment", and " Here You Come Again". Their is also a 2 clips on you tube with Jeanette singing lead on Flowers and Aint No Doubt About It. Once you hear them it will have you wondering why she didn't lead songs numbers for The Emotions. BTW, Pam sings Phillip Baileys part on "Boogie Wonderland" currently in their live performance.
    Last edited by rod_rick; 10-28-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Jeanette singing lead on "Flowers" by the Emotions audio only
    Last edited by rod_rick; 10-28-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Jeanette singing lead on "Flowers" audio only

The gospel Caravans and the Soul Stirrers must have had the most lead singers of all time.

The Floaters
    Enchantment
    Switch
    Stairsteps
    New Edition
    Jodeci [[KC & Jo-Jo)

Atlantic Starr.

Sharon Bryant and one of the Lewis brothers [[David?) would sing lead. same when Barbara Weathers replaced Bryant.