Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
The point is all those solo spots featuring Diana Ross almost ruined the special for those that were fans of The Supremes [[as a group) and the Temptations. I watched it when it originally aired [[in December '68 I believe is when it came on) and was thinking why is she all over the show! The Supremes and the Temptations were used as co-stars. The Temptations were very hot on charts at that time. I'll let Arr&Bee give his own thoughts.
that may be your point, and it’s as valid as any, but it certainly cannot be his point from his verbiage. Also, one can be a fan if the group and still dig her solo spots. One has nothing to do with the other. Without Ross, there would be no TCB special at all. Those who do not or did not care for her definitely would find time to pee during her spots. Remember there were folks not into The Tempts and/orvThebSupremes who enjoyed it for who they did like. In any event, the special WITH Ross’ 3 solo spots, was a ratings and critical smash which was repeated in prime time the following spring - both times winning its time slot and riding a platinum #1 Soundtrack album. Somehow I don’t think Ross’ solo spots hurt the show for the general populace.

That being said, the point of this topic is the ballsy, in-your-face-I’m-BLACKness of it all performed by a woman who was said to appeal more to white folks. Well, this is hardly what anyone could call pandering to her white audience. Bigots would take it as a double slap-in-the-face when Afro-Vogue ends and seques into a high class, total show biz glamour knock out punch performance of Tin Pan Alley standard Somewhere - which led to Diana quoting MLK and shouting “free at Last” This is a masterpiece of bringing the new Black message into white homes: luring Baby Love purchasers into recognizing that African roots can lead to the epitome of white controlled show business and do it as well or better than any white people.

To chip away away at this brilliant statement because of group politics saddens me because you clearly must not get the point.