Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
I think many fans would like their favorite group to be like the Beatles, a group in which the general pubic knew and remembered the names of all 4 members. But The Beatles are the exception to the rule as their success, impact and influence was stratospheric, a once in a lifetime phenomenon. For all other groups, it's fortunate that the public remembers the name of one member. Ten years ago, most young people into pop music could probably name all the members of NSYNC or Destiny's Child, but nowadays, I'm sure most of them, except their hardcore fans, now ten years older and in a different stage of their lives, can only name the enduring stars that came from the group--Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. That's just how it is.
I agree, but you see the Supremes [[who are not even my favorite group, that would be the Four Tops just to be clear) were like the Beatles in regards to their initial popularity. I think that yes because they were women and Black that society at large has let them slip down several pegs on the popularity charts, polls or whatever they call what Billboard and Rolling Stones, publications like that put out.

I can only speak from and about personal experience and that would be everyone I knew ,knew the names of the individual Supremes and many also knew the names of the members of the Temptations and Jackson Five,etc. Now if you are asking me if someone outside of say the baby boom generation would know the names, I can't tell you much because that is not my frame of reference.