[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Then you must have known her product mgr. I believe his name was Jonathan Green. He ended up going to Polydor. He wasn't a natural Diana fan...more of a rocker. We traded promos for years and he gave me my cherished copy of the customized Guinness book. He always did a great job. I remember stopping by the offices when "One Shining Moment" came on BBC 1. It seemed that everyone had turned their radios on. [[Kinda like we all did when the infamous Whitney/Wendy interview surprisingly aired on 'BLS).
    EMI did a commendable job for Diana throughout the 90s. The crowning achievement was "One Woman" led by a brilliant television campaign. As a fan, thanks so much for your contribution to that success. The 90s were great internationally as I witnessed first hand great marketing from Singapore and across the European continent and the Anglosphere.
    The first single from EDIAND was "Not Over You Yet", which debuted in the top ten in the UK. Although personal problems prevailed by the time of the second release, preventing live appearances to promote it - could she have just done a promo clip and your team take it from there ? I think Until We Meet Again could have been a hit just from airplay, if you could get the DJs to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    The first single from EDIAND was "Not Over You Yet", which debuted in the top ten in the UK. Although personal problems prevailed by the time of the second release, preventing live appearances to promote it - could she have just done a promo clip and your team take it from there ? I think Until We Meet Again could have been a hit just from airplay, if you could get the DJs to play it.
    In the 70's and 80's that would have worked just fine, but by the 90's the singles market had changed dramatically. By this time singles were airplayed weeks before they were available to buy, whereas in the past new singles would rarely be played before they were commercially available. Appearing on a TV show was initially more important than hearing the song on the radio. With NOYY Diana performed it on TOTP, THE LOTTERY SHOW and did interviews for radios 1 and 2 and Smooth radio as well as press interviews. UWMA was earmarked to be the 2nd single but Diana's problems put paid to another promotional visit. It was a lost opportunity i agree, but by this time she had left Motown USA and we didn't know if she would sign a new contract with another Company so the Record Company were reluctant to release it without Diana here to promote it.